PDA

View Full Version : audio problems

deepboat
08-12-07, 01:59 PM
Recently had to uninstall sh3 due to system hanging up. Too bad since I was on my 20th patrol in a type ixc and in 1944. I reinstalled sh3 with the 1.4 patch, sh3 commander, no GWX. My problem is now there aren't any sound effects ie; explosions, voice commands or alerts. All I have are normal ship sounds, torp running sounds, weather sounds. When it try to do a repair from the CD option I can see all the files loading but later when I load sh3 nothing comes up. P.S. other games sfx are OK. Any thoughts?

GoldenRivet
08-12-07, 03:03 PM
check the options menu and make sure all of your volume controls are set properly in SH3?

Update the sound card drivers?

surround sound? make sure your "center" knob is adjusted to true center... i have been playing for weeks cursing those GWX guys for making the engines so quiet you almost cant even hear them... and then i found that somehow my speaker's center position was adjusted way left!!! :oops: :rotfl:

others will post further suggestions, thats all i have for you

irish1958
08-12-07, 04:14 PM
In the future, when you get an install that is perfect, copy it to another folder; then when anything goes wrong, copy the good install back. Or, if it just a problem with one folder (i.e. sound) just copy that folder into your install.
I would reinstall GWX and the 1.03 update.
If you have access to a good install, just copy the sound folder into your install and see if this solves your problem.

Paajtor
08-12-07, 06:00 PM
Try this:

Go to Start/Run, and type dxdiag.exe, and hit Enter.
On the Sound-tab, put the slider for Hardw.SoundAccelerationLevel to Standard, and test SH3.
If problem still occurs, put the slider on Basic, and try again.

deepboat
08-13-07, 03:06 AM
Tried dxdiag.exe and all seems ok. Sound card drivers are updated, options menu was checked with music set to full left (-40db) and everything else at full right (0db), does that sound right? I haven't downloaded GWX. Is it necessary to load all those bin files? I'd hate to start all over in a dugout canoe. Gotta go. Run Silent Run Deep is on

Paajtor
08-13-07, 09:48 AM
Tried dxdiag.exe and all seems ok. Sound card drivers are updated, options menu was checked with music set to full left (-40db) and everything else at full right (0db), does that sound right? Don't think so.
I meant the sound-tab from the DX-tool, not the sound-settings from ingame (which soundsettings you choose ingame, is your own preference, and won't fix your problems).

Load DXDiag again, and go to it's Sound-tab...there you will see the slider I meant.

Hope this helps.

deepboat
08-13-07, 01:30 PM
Both sound 1 and 2 tabs were checked and the sliders are at full accelaration, test checks out ok and 'no problems' noted in the scratchpad. I appreciate all your help though. I have other problems though which may require a re-install- when the crew fatigue they don't regain health when placed in their quarters, even for a long time. Also, the port outlines, piers quays etc, don't appear in map mode which makes entering or leaving the port tricky, especially at night.

Paajtor
08-13-07, 02:12 PM
In DXDiag, you need to set the Hardw.Acc-slider back 1 notch, exit DXDiag, and test SH3 ...not the audio-tests from DXDiag (allthough that never hurts)!
If the problem with SH3-sound persists, load DXDiag again, and put the slider back one more notch (which should now read "basic acceleration"), and test SH3 again.

On my old audio-setup (Philips SeismicEdge soundcard), this cured my audio-problems with SH3.
My current setup (nForce2-Ultra sound) runs without issues on full H/W-acceleration.

deepboat
08-13-07, 03:42 PM
OK, tried that but still no joy. Re-install it is, after I remove the mods, Sh3 commander etc. One final question though, would installing GWX fix all that? If so, do I need all the files? Thanks.

deepboat
08-14-07, 04:59 PM
Success! SH3 with a clean install, patch 1.4. Where do I go from here? GWX?:hmm:

Von Manteuffel
08-14-07, 05:15 PM
Take your pick. But first copy your clean 1.4 install and keep it safe and untouched. I have a "perfect" vanilla install which is never modded, or played, plus GWX, NYGM and WAC. ( Multi SH3 is a lovely little tool! ) I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not at all sure.