PDA

View Full Version : If the final patch was an expansion disk ?

donut
08-12-07, 12:52 PM
With separate engine control,would you purchase same? YES---NO---Perhaps

Misfit138
08-12-07, 01:20 PM
Well, if the only major improvement would be a seperate engine control then my answer is, hell no!

FAdmiral
08-12-07, 01:23 PM
A chargeable expansion is just what it implies. An Expansion !! I would pay
if it included AI for subs, other driveables, all the bug fixes, more platforms,
working torpedos on surface ships, minelaying capabilities for subs & surface ships,
minesweepers that could and would detect & sweep mines, etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.
In other words, a large add on...

JIM

sqk7744
08-12-07, 01:33 PM
Agreed,

Yes, independent throttles would be nice, along with a proper representation of four engines.

As an expansion pack I expect it to be robust with all the usual goodies and missions etc of a true value added experience.

donut
08-12-07, 01:34 PM
First poll effort.Of course we should expect damage model repair included,should go without saying.

hobnailboot
08-12-07, 02:21 PM
If the expansion was into the atlantic I would be very interested:D , suppose I will have to see what appears in the binoculers.

AVGWarhawk
08-12-07, 03:05 PM
Any expansion pack would be bought and loaded on my hard drive. It can only make the game better IMHO.

Fearless
08-12-07, 06:49 PM
The only time I'd want it in the Atlantic if I had the capability to command a capital ship

CDR Resser
08-12-07, 07:33 PM
Any expansion would be quite welcome. Then we might get the Narwhal class boats as well as other enhancements and fixes.
As AVGWarhawk says any expansion only makes an already enjoyable sim even better.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Torpex752
08-12-07, 10:09 PM
Just an FYI..Back when I started a thread for ideas for an expansion pack, I gathered the bulk of it all and gave it to Neal. he said he'd forward it to the Dev Team, after that I am not sure if UbI soft would be interested in it. I think that $ is the issue. I cant & wont speak for everyone, but if it was a big enough expansion pack I know I'd pay full price (@$50,00 US). Thats just me, I'd like to see UBI Soft show some pride & dedication and do it.

Swede
08-12-07, 10:15 PM
Any expansion pack would be bought and loaded on my hard drive. It can only make the game better IMHO.

Its funny how moderators are never biast and always fanboys

Misfit138
08-12-07, 10:19 PM
I cant & wont speak for everyone, but if it was a big enough expansion pack I know I'd pay full price (@$50,00 US). Thats just me, I'd like to see UBI Soft show some pride & dedication and do it.

And thats also me too! I'd be more than happy to pay the full price if it was big enough. Hell, generally speaking I wouldn't have any problems paying those prices from games what they had 10 years ago if it means that customers do not have to be beta testers anymore

Go4It
08-12-07, 10:36 PM
Hell No!
Why should one pay to fix the game?
If you'd buy the expantion this would start a trend among software developers:
They'd put out buggie software just so you'd PAY again an maybe a few time more.
OR
They'd have a good working software an put out a buggie version just to get more money.

The best way to figth these developer is to get congress to change the copyright/patent law. If a developer puts out buggie software an either charges or abandons the software there copyright or patent should be taken away.

Reaves
08-12-07, 10:46 PM
Yeah it's bloody hillarious....

I'd buy an expansion, i'd want either more subs or even Destroyer Command for SH4.

Edit- I find trolls funnier as they can pick anything to be negative about.

donut
08-12-07, 11:19 PM
The Dev's,are only employees of UBI.the Subsim moderators may have inside knowledge,that the Dev's are still working on SHIV,and fan-boys is the only way the job will get done,with good will,$ are an incentive UBI might understand,Integrity aside,

AkbarGulag
08-13-07, 12:37 AM
Thats the best sort of Moderator.

I'm with FA admiral on this one... how many times have you all looked at the torpedo launchers on DD's and wondered if they will fire? Launchers and mine layers would be a big improvement. As for some sort of atlantic spin, would be nice to have all the ships, subs and planes from europe added, give the modders from SH3 a reason to dump the old engine and move over to the new.I'm not holding my breath on an expansion though.

Tobus
08-13-07, 01:52 AM
An expansion of what? This game is perfect with TM1.5 and NSM3.0. What's to expand upon? Damagemodel could use some tweaking, but that has written "patch" all over it, not "expansion disk".

BarjackU977
08-13-07, 03:44 AM
+1 again.

On a separate comment, I would be afraind if the last patch would be an add-on. An add-on adds content, and that content would be brand new and most likely not bug free. We coudl end up with some sim in a state near to the first state of SH4.
I would buy an add-on at the condition that we could get further patches to fix important bugs.

A chargeable expansion is just what it implies. An Expansion !! I would pay
if it included AI for subs, other driveables, all the bug fixes, more platforms,
working torpedos on surface ships, minelaying capabilities for subs & surface ships,
minesweepers that could and would detect & sweep mines, etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.
In other words, a large add on...

JIM

Shrivenzale
08-13-07, 08:50 AM
Hell No!
They'd put out buggie software just so you'd PAY again an maybe a few time more.
OR
They'd have a good working software an put out a buggie version just to get more money.The big difference is that I'm quite willing to pay for an expansion (which I'd define as optional additional content) provided it's a significant amount of new content and makes the game seem 'new' again; but I'm not willing and shouldn't be expected to pay for a patch (bugfixes and corrections to original content).

That said, providing free additional content is always going to create goodwill with the customer base, so it's generally a good idea and always welcome.

As far as 'fighting' the developer goes, first you'd have to show that the devs were being dishonest: the mere presence of bugs (even serious ones) shouldn't warrant the removal of their copyright, because the threat of this happening would hurt the industry. Bugs are inevitable in any piece of software no matter how much work is done pre-release. If a game's bad, or support for it is bad, then word will get around and people won't be so quick to buy the developer's next production.

Besides, I don't think Congress (or any other country's government, for that matter) should be expected to spend time worrying about whether computer games are unfortunately buggy or criminally buggy: I think there're far more important things they could be spending their time on.

FIREWALL
08-13-07, 09:01 AM
Good post donut. :up: Peeps on this forum will buy anything UBI dishes out and stand in line all day for it. And you know it. :rotfl:

AVGWarhawk
08-13-07, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry I do not hold my head down in a sour foul mood over a game that has certainly come a long way since the very first sale. If someone is enjoying the game and has nothing but nice things to say then they are are "Fanboy". So be it. Call me what you like, makes no difference and I will not loose sleep over it. Sadly, you have nothing to offer this thread other than a label for someone who sees the class as half full. Such a shame to move through life with a cloud over your head. Lets look at the facts, game released with many bugs, 1.1 and game improved, 1.2...the game is gotten better....1.3 wow, we are almost there......yet, you would believe a disc with final updates and added content is a bad thing? I do not see it that way. But you know, I simply voted and posted what I thought..for some reason you felt it was your duty to point out I'm a "fanboy". Much to my chagrine, not what I would consider a good thing.

SteamWake
08-13-07, 10:36 AM
An expansion of what? This game is perfect with TM1.5 and NSM3.0. What's to expand upon? Damagemodel could use some tweaking, but that has written "patch" all over it, not "expansion disk".

Hrm lets see, How about historicaly accurate battles, better AI behaviour, more ports (with stuff in them), AI submarines, more missions, better damage control in general with more detailed and accurate reporting, better minefield usage. Im sure I could think of several more 'items' but I just dont have time.

About the seperate engine controls I have wanted this since SH2 but alas it is not to be.

If they did come out with an expansion I would most likely buy it. If it came with an addittional patch so much the better.

Bear
08-13-07, 12:52 PM
I have spend alot more money on dumber things in my life. I agree with SteamWake and AVGWarhawk concerning the difference between a patch and expansion.

Having said that, anyone who has read some of my posts will agree that I can and do bitch about things that I do not think are right. I think it is one hellva an insult to be sold anything with the poor quality this sim started with. I have griped about a number of things in this sim that are not right. Were they fixed in the last patch, no. However, a number of things that made the sim unplayable (to me) were fixed. Have I still found a way to make this game enjoyable for me, yes. Thank whatever God you believe in for Modders and the "Fanboys". Only they saved this game.

In my sixty plus years I have been called a lot of things, but fanboy was not amoung them.:rotfl: I guess the bottom line is would we be paying for a big patch (there is a lot in this game that is not used) or a true expansion?

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me."

Rockin Robbins
08-13-07, 02:14 PM
Hell No!
OR
They'd have a good working software an put out a buggie version just to get more money.

The best way to figth these developer is to get congress to change the copyright/patent law. If a developer puts out buggie software an either charges or abandons the software there copyright or patent should be taken away.
Sometimes we have to be responsible for the consequences of our acts. Failure to support present software results in NO future software. Silent Hunter has bugs. So does every other piece of software in the world, but we use it and enjoy it in spite of the bugs. As you type your words of wisdom you are using a computer, whose BIOS has bugs, layered with an operating system with bugs, device drivers are all not perfect, layered with a bug-riddled web browser with bugged add-ons, buggy flash, java, perl, etc. Then the software that runs the Internet is.... you guessed it: full of bugs. Why your hardware itself has bugs. Do you refuse to use any of that? Do you rail against it and not buy another computer? NO! You brag that it's the best that's ever been and you're right.

This is also true of Silent Hunter 4. It is the best sub simulator in the world, warts and all. It's a blast to play and can teach you more about WWII subs than reading the best book on the subject. As such, it deserves our support and does not deserve being subject to an attack, which if successful would result in no more submarine simulators in the future. A good plan today is worth more than a perfect plan tomorrow. The same is true of software. Those who settle for nothing short of perfection condemn themselves to having nothing.

Legislation such as you propose would have the same effect. Who gets to call "bug?" I think pressing "zero" on the telephone for "operator" is a bug. "Operator" starts with the letter "o" not zero. Sounds like we need to take all copyright and patent rights from all telephone manufacturers and telephone companies. That will result in no telephones at all, but it's the principle of the thing that counts, not whether the results of our stupidity are hurtful. That type of legislation is called tyranny. Fortunately most of our legislators are still smarter than you. That is not guaranteed to remain true. Remember this: excellence is ALWAYS voluntary. It cannot be compelled. It cannot be legislated. It is the product of free will freely exercised. End of sermon.

As for myself, call me fanboy. The game you play is because fanboys like me made it possible. Yeah, I know you won't thank us. You're too busy being miserable while we're having fun. I feel sorry for you. You're missing out on what makes life great.

AVGWarhawk
08-13-07, 02:51 PM
Hell No!
OR

Sometimes we have to be responsible for the consequences of our acts. Failure to support present software results in NO future software. Silent Hunter has bugs. So does every other piece of software in the world, but we use it and enjoy it in spite of the bugs. As you type your words of wisdom you are using a computer, whose BIOS has bugs, layered with an operating system with bugs, device drivers are all not perfect, layered with a bug-riddled web browser with bugged add-ons, buggy flash, java, perl, etc. Then the software that runs the Internet is.... you guessed it: full of bugs. Why your hardware itself has bugs. Do you refuse to use any of that? Do you rail against it and not buy another computer? NO! You brag that it's the best that's ever been and you're right.

This is also true of Silent Hunter 4. It is the best sub simulator in the world, warts and all. It's a blast to play and can teach you more about WWII subs than reading the best book on the subject. As such, it deserves our support and does not deserve being subject to an attack, which if successful would result in no more submarine simulators in the future. A good plan today is worth more than a perfect plan tomorrow. The same is true of software. Those who settle for nothing short of perfection condemn themselves to having nothing.

Legislation such as you propose would have the same effect. Who gets to call "bug?" I think pressing "zero" on the telephone for "operator" is a bug. "Operator" starts with the letter "o" not zero. Sounds like we need to take all copyright and patent rights from all telephone manufacturers and telephone companies. That will result in no telephones at all, but it's the principle of the thing that counts, not whether the results of our stupidity are hurtful. That type of legislation is called tyranny. Fortunately most of our legislators are still smarter than you. That is not guaranteed to remain true. Remember this: excellence is ALWAYS voluntary. It cannot be compelled. It cannot be legislated. It is the product of free will freely exercised. End of sermon.

As for myself, call me fanboy. The game you play is because fanboys like me made it possible. Yeah, I know you won't thank us. You're too busy being miserable while we're having fun. I feel sorry for you. You're missing out on what makes life great.

Wow! That was a beautiful sermon!

Snuffy
08-13-07, 03:40 PM
Is that the Battle Hymn of the Republic I hear in the background??!!?? :D

Good one RR.

SteamWake
08-13-07, 04:03 PM
I think pressing "zero" on the telephone for "operator" is a bug. "Operator" starts with the letter "o" not zero.

LOL never heard this one before... pretty funny :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Rockin Robbins
08-13-07, 05:10 PM
Is that the Battle Hymn of the Republic I hear in the background??!!?? :D

Good one RR.
Naw, that's too American. I'm an American and susceptable to the Battle Hymn as anyone but the Truth is not just American. I was thinking of "The Truth Won't Fade Away" from Procol Harum's Prodigal Stranger album.

We were young, we were brave, we were true, we were strong
Far away the bombs and the buildings exploding
there was no way out
It was black, it was white, we had so much to say
Right or wrong... The truth won't fade away

We had our hopes, we had our dreams, we were young, we were old
We saw our future self-destructing: there were roles that we played
Some were good, some were bad: there was so much to say
Right or wrong... The truth won't fade away

Could be the theme song for Silent Hunter 4. This album (dating myself there) just explodes with exhuberant moral conviction. Makes U2, as excellent as they are, sound like the Old Ladies' Garden Club.

Hey, it was that or "Another One Bites the Dust.":rotfl:

Excalibur Bane
08-13-07, 07:23 PM
Well, my opinion, for what it's worth anyway (I don't think anyone really listens to me, somehow:-?) is the game is more or less complete for my purposes and anything that is lacking can be found available as a mod, at least to a certain extent. I don't see myself buying another WW2 sub sim for many years, as SH3 and SH4 combined cover both important theaters.

I've simply been burned by far too many UBI products as of late that it is highly unlikely that I would purchase another of their games if/when their reputation recovers at least somewhat. For now I will be content playing SH4 from time to time as the mood so moves me to do so. ;)

AkbarGulag
08-13-07, 09:49 PM
I think Rockin Robbins said all that needed to be said in reply to grumpy.... Excalibur said something as well but I didn't read it (jk ;) considering your position in the mods section, I dare say you are one person i'm ALWAYS looking for posts from).

The game has not had a single CTD for me since 1.3... thats impressive enough to assume that anyone that gets a CTD is most likely having a conflict with something else on their system or has bad MOD application.

In its current state, SH4 is a good solid platform for an expansion. But like I said, i'm not holding my breath.

bookworm_020
08-13-07, 10:31 PM
As mentioned before, it depends what's in the expansion disk. If it's just the engines, no, but if there was more content and a lot of extras, you bet!:up:

Swede
08-13-07, 11:27 PM
[/quote]
I'm sorry I do not hold my head down in a sour foul mood over a game that has certainly come a long way since the very first sale... [/quote]

The reason i said something wasnt because im a sad person. Nor because i wanted to take the sunshine out of your life.

But you said that youd buy any expansion and that it could only make the game better, now that is pretty narrowminded. Personally i think that SH 4 out of the box is unplayable, so whos to say that an expansion wouldnt introduce new bugs, or heck whos to say that an expansion would be around a theme you dont find interesting. You know, you dont HAVE to buy everything that says UBI just because you are a moderator. We know you like subs, we all do.

AVGWarhawk
08-14-07, 07:22 AM
I'm sorry I do not hold my head down in a sour foul mood over a game that has certainly come a long way since the very first sale...

The reason i said something wasnt because im a sad person. Nor because i wanted to take the sunshine out of your life.

But you said that youd buy any expansion and that it could only make the game better, now that is pretty narrowminded. Personally i think that SH 4 out of the box is unplayable, so whos to say that an expansion wouldnt introduce new bugs, or heck whos to say that an expansion would be around a theme you dont find interesting. You know, you dont HAVE to buy everything that says UBI just because you are a moderator. We know you like subs, we all do.

You are are already assuming that the new expansion will be bad and introduce new bugs. This is the way you see it. Glass half empty. I see it as introducing more things making it a better game. Glass half full. Maybe I'm assuming also. Furthermore, I do not purchase everything UBI but currently if I want to play a WW2 submarine game, too whom do I make the purchase with? Infinity Ward? Hasbro? Atari? None of these companies offer up a nice game of submarine warfare simulation. I make the purchase because they offer it. And, if you think I get a dollar for every plug I post about UBI, think again. This is volunteer work friend. Yes, I was asked to moderate the forums and become suspect to every post. I'm targeted by some. I receive hateful PM from others. It is all in great fun I assure you. Hell, in General Topics forums I'm advise how I should raise my children. Who would not jump at the opportunity like that? Now for some odd reason you choose to deem me as narrow minded because I believe a expansion pack would make it better. I apologize for looking at life optimisticlly and not as a pessimist.

If you need me I'll be by the mailbox waiting on my check from UBI. :roll: Oh, there are plenty of other members who are looking at it optimistically on this thread. Perhaps you can group them in the narrow minded club with me.

Swede
08-14-07, 11:00 PM
Ok...

*Hugs AVG* Lets never fight again...

nomdeplume
08-15-07, 06:22 AM
Given that I'll almost certainly be playing SH4 for years, I would pay for an expansion if it enhanced the game. The poll question is too vague to answer with anything but "Perhaps".

If all it added was controllable engines, probably not. Unless it was done really well, and was cheap. If it enhanced the game, maybe $5-10 would be ok. A mini-expansion, if you will. Maybe this is a possibility for getting more additions to the game. Probably not.

AVGWarhawk
08-15-07, 08:27 AM
Ok...

*Hugs AVG* Lets never fight again...

Ok...sounds good. :/\\k:.

Rockin Robbins
08-15-07, 08:57 AM
You also have to look at it from an economic standpoint. If we don't support the genre, there won't BE a genre in the future. We'll all be playing Ratchet and Clank. Oh the humanity! :damn:

GT182
08-17-07, 08:41 AM
Sh4 has to be fixed more for an expansion to do any good at all. Now if that's done and an expansion, for example is like IL2, MOH AA or SF: P1; then yes it might be worth paying for if more content is added.

I'd only hope Ubi wouldn't be involved as they tend to screw the pooch. They can't even get a patch right these days and give the correct fixes.

besides a patch should not have anything to do with an expansion. Patches are only to fix what's broken or not working as advertised.

So I vote no.

GerritJ9
08-17-07, 09:23 AM
It would depend on what the expansion contains, but I would definitely buy it if it included playable subs of other nations: Japanese, Dutch, British. The submarine war in the Pacific wasn't only the USN; the IJN, RNethN and RN also operated subs.

LukeFF
08-17-07, 05:54 PM
No thanks. Ubi is a cancer when it comes to the way they've treated the Silent Hunter series.

nomdeplume
08-18-07, 01:38 AM
It would depend on what the expansion contains, but I would definitely buy it if it included playable subs of other nations: Japanese, Dutch, British. The submarine war in the Pacific wasn't only the USN; the IJN, RNethN and RN also operated subs.
Absolutely seconded. I'd especially pay good money for quality AI subs, either as allies or as foes (ideally, both!). Imagine cruising the pacific searching for juicy convoys and suddenly realising there's a Jap sub out there hunting you! Even better, receiving a contact report of a large task force in your area, then new orders to head to an intercept position and rendevous with another sub to make a joint attack.

Ah, one can dream. Making a worthwhile submarine AI would be a pretty tall order, methinks.