PDA

View Full Version : Where is Truk

thehiredgun
08-10-07, 05:13 AM
Does anyone know the map coorardence for Truk is ?Sorry about the spelling !

switch.dota
08-10-07, 05:49 AM
It's north of Rabaul. In stock SH IV the port is not there.

Argus00
08-10-07, 07:27 AM
Yup, NNE of Rabaul and SE of Guam. You'll need to use Tater's new campaign layers to find a port and other interesting stuff there, as in the stock game it's barren.

At work now, so i don't have an in-game map, but here's a RL map to help: http://geography.about.com/library/cia/blcmicronesia.htm

tater
08-10-07, 09:24 AM
As argus said, truk lacks, well, anything, in the stock game except one "historical" battle. Of course in the "historical battle" the US fleet steams through the anchorage, lol.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=116283

^^^ link to my campaign. It's JSGME compatible.

Beware. The stock game doesn't include reefs. Truk, and many other important anchorages used by the IJN (USN, too) were protected by reefs with limited access via gaps in the coral reef. Because this was so critically import, I made my own reefs using the only tool available---sub nets.

So be careful cruising in the Marshalls and Carolines. Various places have "reefs" now, and the only way in is through one of the channels. You'll have to google real maps to see where they are, or watch japanese shipping and see where they go.

tater

donut
08-10-07, 10:17 AM
Thanks for imagination/resourcefulness:up: :rock: :sunny:

tater
08-10-07, 10:32 AM
Maybe someday I'll figure out how to mess with the terrain files and make the reefs out of land.

I actually think that while this would be better in many ways (the AI can "see" land and avoid it, even if their attempts are at times pretty hamfisted), I would still likely use a combo of land and the sub nets because the sub nets allow a kind of tweaking that is less trouble, and the channels/passes into the lagoons do need to be ahistorically wide for the AI. Course I could make the water just REALLY shallow in such areas---like barely deeper than the deepest draft of an IJN ship.