PDA

View Full Version : Swimming off England

nikimcbee
07-28-07, 10:25 PM
Can somebody go out in the water and check this out?
:gulp:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007340903,00.html

Letum
07-28-07, 10:39 PM
oh yer, it not the first time Great Whites have been spotted in the UK. Sevral fishermen have spotted them about, but most sightings turn out to be Porbeagle sharks. I suspect tis on is too.

*Edit* Don't belive a word of the sun by the way!

micky1up
07-29-07, 03:30 AM
panic panic a big fish lol

TarJak
07-29-07, 06:03 AM
Swim here... http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/mauled-by-a-great-white-another-surfer-lives-to-tell-the-tale/2005/09/25/1127586747235.html

Penelope_Grey
07-29-07, 06:13 AM
See this is the thing, when you go surfing and diving or what not, you are entering their world.

Surfers always seem to get attacked, most accept there is a risk, but I mean... you wouldn't go skateboarding amongst a pride of lions... so... I guess the moral is you take your chances.

micky1up
07-29-07, 09:38 AM
See this is the thing, when you go surfing and diving or what not, you are entering their world.

Surfers always seem to get attacked, most accept there is a risk, but I mean... you wouldn't go skateboarding amongst a pride of lions... so... I guess the moral is you take your chances.

indeed but i wont persecute an animal for doing what comes natural FEEDING plus i never really liked surfers bon appetite

Chock
07-29-07, 10:20 AM
I went to college in Cornwall (many years ago), and this is not actually all that uncommon to be honest, although the shark they reported may not be a Great White at all, as there are quite a few varieties of sharks in those waters, and most of them are fairly harmless, even if they are pretty big and scary-looking.

I'd take everything that the Sun reports with a pinch of salt anyway, it thrives on sensationalist nonsense, although it usually does it with a decent amount of humour, sadly, most of which invariably goes right over its average reader's head.

At the end of the day, if someone gets nailed by one swimming around there, tough luck, it's their part of the world, not ours, and they are just 'out earning a crust' as it were.

:D Chock

Oberon
07-29-07, 11:51 AM
I'd worry more about the radiation in the water round my way... :lol:

nikimcbee
07-29-07, 11:56 AM
skateboarding amongst a pride of lions...

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: new extreme sport for ESNP2?

Jimbuna
07-29-07, 02:52 PM
I'll go swimming in the future with my HUGO BOSS aftershave on...the wife reckons it smells like shark repellant anyway :lol:

Seth8530
07-29-07, 03:22 PM
LOL! Shark repellent realy dont work.!

Bort
07-29-07, 08:04 PM
I find it interesting that on the page's picture of "WORLDS DEADLIEST SHARKS" they have a picture and label of a Nurse shark. I remember the pet shop I used to go to had a Nurse shark there. I don't think it's going to kill anyone, and probably never has. :hmm:

bookworm_020
07-29-07, 09:21 PM
I find it interesting that on the page's picture of "WORLDS DEADLIEST SHARKS" they have a picture and label of a Nurse shark. I remember the pet shop I used to go to had a Nurse shark there. I don't think it's going to kill anyone, and probably never has. :hmm:

They are some of the least aggresive sharks out there. They are worried about the decline in numbers here in Australia, so they have banned commercial fishing from areas know to be breeding sites.

Letum
07-29-07, 09:21 PM

Really?

They still back satchels of it in lifeboats. :doh:

TarJak
07-29-07, 11:24 PM
Really?

They still back satchels of it in lifeboats. :doh:

That's to give the survivors something to talk about...:shifty:

Reaves
07-30-07, 01:35 AM
That's not a great white! This is a great white! :gulp:

-Well maybe not but it's still not a great white.

Jimbuna
07-30-07, 12:21 PM
Didn't the Australians invent some kind of high frequency emitting device that plays havoc with the sharks sensors or something like that ? :hmm:

ReallyDedPoet
07-30-07, 12:38 PM
http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2007341831,00.jpg

Somehow my Kayaking with the seals yesterday off Prince Edward Island does
not compare with the above :88)

RDP

Letum
07-31-07, 03:58 PM
Sharl is giant red herring shocker (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/UnNews:%22Great_white_shark%22_is_actually_a_red_h erring)

Oberon
07-31-07, 04:54 PM
Didn't the Australians invent some kind of high frequency emitting device that plays havoc with the sharks sensors or something like that ? :hmm:

That does make sense, them being sensitive to EM fields and all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protective_Oceanic_Device

This the one you mean Jim?

[dc]Blade
07-31-07, 05:07 PM
And what was on TV that weekend and this following one!!
Personaly I blame Steven Spielberg:yep:

STEED
08-01-07, 08:21 AM
Big Deal. :stare:

This story pops up nearly every year who gives a toss. :88)

The Sun is only fit for toilet papper. ;)

Jimbuna
08-01-07, 08:31 AM
I prefer The Screws Of The World for that function :lol:

[dc]Blade
08-01-07, 01:21 PM
Yup all good toilet paper material!:yep:

fatty
08-01-07, 01:27 PM

Welcome back STEED :know:

Konovalov
08-01-07, 02:28 PM

Spot on. A big pile of horse doo doo. Must be a slow news week after all the flooding. So with the sun out what could put a downer on the public flocking to the beach. How about a killer shark? :roll:

STEED
08-01-07, 02:53 PM
Welcome back STEED :know:

Thank You. :up:

hoagiedriver
08-01-07, 05:16 PM
Did they use a photoshopped pic of dolphins and a shark on the cover?

If you use stock photography, I'm sure there's something better.

bookworm_020
08-01-07, 05:55 PM
The newspapers here in Australia are having a good laugh at this story. They say the greater danger in hypothermia!:rotfl: