PDA

View Full Version : Looking at purchasing Saitek X-52

NeonSamurai
07-18-07, 04:11 PM
Well as the title says im considering purchasing the X-52 hotas from Saitek (the standard not pro version), and im looking for some feedback from you all who own it. Figured this would be the best forum to ask.

Main things i wana know are..

What you like most about it
What you dislike most about it
Any problems you have had with it
How long you have owned it, and how reliable it is (particularly buttons and pots, if they last well or not)
Do you think it was worth the price you payed for it.

I wont be making the purchase if i do untill late august, so lots of time for people to give me their opinions :)

Btw please dont mention other joysticks, i know about the pro version, i know about CH products, and Thrustmaster products. They are all out of my price range and so not in consideration. I am only interested In the X-52 standard :)

Thanks

Phantom Knight
07-19-07, 07:53 PM
What I like most about it-TONS of options. Actually, way more than I need. I went from a Logitech to this and have loved every minute of it. The stick is really smooth for the most part (see below) and the throttle assembly adds a whole new dimension to the sim. Bottom line, you can customize just about anything to the way you like it.

What I dislike most about it-These are all very minor gripes. The stick, although very smooth, does seem to "stick" when I am trying to make very minor adjustments. Two of the back lights for the buttons flicker on and off (might be a bad USB connector and not the X-52 though, haven't figured it out). Mapping buttons is tedious; extremely easy but time consuming. One of the rotating knobs is directly mapped to rudder control in FS2004; I accidentally moved the knob, and my planes kept veering right. I was about ready to throw the thing out the door in frustration until I stumbled across the solution in a forum. Obviously not a defect, but frustrating nonetheless.

Any problems you have had with it-other than the two lit buttons flickering on and off it has been perfect.

How long have you owned it-six months and it still seems like it's new. Every axis still returns to center and every button is in perfect working order (minus the occasional lack of backlight).

Do you think it was worth the price you paid for it-it was a gift, so it was absolutely worth the nothing I paid for it! In all seriousness though, I would have gladly paid full price for this. It has made me a better "pilot" and made the simulations (FS2004, IL-2 1946, Falcon 4.0) seem even more real. Definitely worth the August purchase!

HunterICX
07-20-07, 03:46 AM
Welcome to Subsim Phantom!

:up:and welcome to the flying circus of Subsim

enjoy your stay:yep:

HunterICX

NeonSamurai
07-20-07, 03:26 PM
Yes welcome indeed and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions :up: