PDA

View Full Version : Ah, New York in the spring time...

maillemaker
07-17-07, 11:21 PM
Ah, New York. Springtime. Fresh Air. Beautiful scenery:

http://forth-armoury.com/temp/scope.JPG

So much to see, so much to do:

http://forth-armoury.com/temp/ship1.JPG

And of course you just have to stop by and visit the Statue of Liberty...

http://forth-armoury.com/temp/visit.JPG

And of course the city skyline has to be seen to be believed!

http://forth-armoury.com/temp/skyline.JPG

:) :) :)

S Rafty
07-18-07, 12:09 AM
Two followed by one is hialrious.

Love your little photo albumn lol.

Is that a VIIIC?:|\\

Canovaro
07-18-07, 12:59 AM
So much to see, so much to do

:lol:

ReM
07-18-07, 01:08 AM
:rotfl:

Very funny!

Zero Niner
07-18-07, 03:31 AM
Is that a VIIIC?:|\\

Looks like a Type IX to me.

ReM
07-18-07, 04:51 AM
Type VIIC doens't have two aft tubes.....must be type IX

maillemaker
07-18-07, 06:24 AM
Yup, I don't think type VII's would make it to New York and back, either, but I dunno. Yup, this is U-103, my trusty type IX. It's got all the latest bells and whistles - anti-sonar coating, supercharger, decoy launchers, and radar. Oh, and lots of torpedoes. :)

TarJak
07-18-07, 06:30 AM
It's definately a IX. A VII can make it there and back as long as there is a handy milch cow on the way.

STEED
07-18-07, 08:04 AM
It's definately a IX. A VII can make it there and back as long as there is a handy milch cow on the way.

Not at that time. :damn:

ReM
07-18-07, 09:20 AM
Even a type II can make it with Limited fuel turned off.

Milchcows should only be available from somewhere in march-april 1942 onwards...

Seeing the pics being taken surfaced in NY harbour, it must be pre-december 12 1941...so a neutral US...Steed is right :damn:

maillemaker
07-18-07, 09:51 AM
Nope, it is April or March 1942. Every merchie in the harbor, except the neutrals, was banging away at me. I figured I'd be safe with the pier blocking me, but you can see the hits on my sub - they were able to hit me after all. I just couldn't resist getting a photo of my sub docked at the Statue of Liberty.

Later I submerged and went and docked in one of the quays where the buildings shielded my sub from gunfire. Then I surfaced and let me repair crews fix the boat and bring down all the external eels. By now all the merchies have run out of ammo for their guns, so tonight when I get home I'm going to sail out and sink everything else in the harbor.

No warships have come into the harbor yet.

ReM
07-18-07, 09:54 AM
It must be a good feeling to reload your external eels inside an enemy harbor....:arrgh!:

I will say nothig about realism...no I won't....

gord96
07-18-07, 09:57 AM
bah realism. where's the fun in that? :rotfl:

CapZap1970
07-18-07, 10:01 AM
bah realism. where's the fun in that? :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Believe it or not, it's also a nice experience to play with realism, but it's not something I would do all the time in SH3. Don't have enough patience or time. ;)
BTW, gord, How are your careers in SH3 doing?
CapZap

gord96
07-18-07, 10:06 AM
hehe. i know capzap. realism has it's rewards too. :88)

U-177 was lost last night after a fierce gun battle with 4 destroyers. sunk 2 but the last ones came at me from both sides. crash dived and the hull crushed. pity as I had 110900 tons on that patrol. :( :)

U-123 is now underway in and around the Brit Isles. July 41. Target is a task force leaving Scapa Flow.

maillemaker
07-18-07, 10:33 AM
LOL, REM, yeah, I hear ya. Normally I'm up for the realism thing. Last night I was just having fun gaming the game. Actually, though, the most unrealistic thing about the current raid is not that I'm reloading my sub surfaced in one of their quays, it's that all the ships are trying to shoot me through buildings, and continue to fire until their ammo is all gone!

You'd think any army truck full of machine-gun toting soldiers would show up on the pier or something. Or at least an aircraft with bombs.

Tell ya what - I saved the game prior to entering the harbor. I'll go back from there and do it "real like" for ya after I'm finished pillaging the harbor tonight.

:)

ReM
07-18-07, 11:52 AM
I'll go back from there and do it "real like" for ya after I'm finished pillaging the harbor tonight.

:)

Don't do it for me.....just enjoy the game the way you like it......If you like to nuke NY harbor off the planet...do it...if you like to play it at 100% go for it.

No judgement from my part whatsoever...

All of us here like SHII, it's a good thing that this game can be 'flavored to taste'. I had a lot of fun with superpowerful torps that litteraly blew ships out of the water....and to be honest, I entered NY harbor a few times myself when it was still neutrall and started picking on English ships there while surfaced...hardly realistic either.

To each his own...luckily.!

I am curious what will happen when you enter playin'g 'normal'...it will again be a case of so muct to see, so much to do...;)

maillemaker
07-18-07, 12:34 PM
Actually, I don't think it's that tough in the harbor.

The trick was getting IN the harbor. Before the choke point the bay outside the harbor was patrolled heavily with DDs. But I creeped in at 2 knots revolutions and silent running. Once I had a DD sail within 300 meters of us - he never slowed down (I did come to a stop though at that point to let him pass).

I used the external cam view while making the approach - glad I did as there was a mine laying on the bottom in mid-channel. I would have missed it anyway but just barely.

But there are no warships in the harbor itself. I think they are all out in the bay and the AI is too dumb for them to find their way in through the bottleneck.

The only reason I started jerking around last night is it was getting late and I had to go to bed. Plus I couldn't resist a photo of my sub parked at the Statue of Liberty. :) Otherwise I would have fired my fish and left.

07-18-07, 12:37 PM
Nice pics! I've never been to NY, myself. These pics makes me want to make the trip, though.