PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Rhumba

Brag
07-13-07, 05:35 PM
Our arrival in the Caribbean made us popular. 3 Destroyers and an Elco kept dancing circles around us. No sooner we'd sink a ship, B-24s, TBMs and PBYs would joing the party.

With all this attention, it was difficult to surface and charge batteries. 10 minutes with decks awash and the Elco would show up. The moment we'dive, we'd get 2 or 3 destroyer sound contacts.

We never saw the buggers, but our sonar man keept twisting his wheel full circle.

At dawn of 27 July 1942, we caught one of the destroyer on our scope. A Fletchie at 1800 meters, doing 12 knots. Bad angle for our schnozzle eels.

We did the world famous Caribbean, conga arse wiggle and sent a T2 greeting from tube 5.

Very appreciatively, the Fletchie responded with a grand fireworks display.

With the American destroyer busy exploring the bottom of the Caribbean, we were able to surface in response to a sound contact.

Half hour later, we were at PD with a Modern Medium Tanker on our crosshairs.
One torpedo and we followed this ship for a while until it sank. Like a conga line, the simbols for wrecks on the chart, mark the passage of our Sumbie in the Caribbean. Pretty straight despite all the dancing. :yep:

gord96
07-13-07, 05:45 PM
what date is good hunting in the Caribbean??

Good work btw! :arrgh!:

Brag
07-13-07, 05:50 PM
what date is good hunting in the Caribbean??

Good work btw! :arrgh!:

I suppose, the earlier the better. In the GWX July 1942 things are pretty hot. Had a lot more contacts with warchips than merchies. Still, we have 59K tons and ten torpedoes left.

gord96
07-13-07, 05:59 PM
any good reccomendations for grids. Just got into the IX boats and am enjoying the long patrols :)

Brag
07-13-07, 06:22 PM
I am northwest of Port of Spain at the edge og the deep water, trying to get away from all the pestering DDs. It appears that this is a tanker route from Curacao or Maracaibo. Then there is a Piort of Spain line heading to the NNW.

Gezoes
07-13-07, 07:32 PM
...It appears that this is a tanker route from Curacao or Maracaibo. Then there is a Piort of Spain line heading to the NNW...

You're right on the money on both accounts.

Sector ED and roughly one row around it, especially EE 4 & 7 and the EC-6-9's.

Watch those B-24 though...

nikbear
07-14-07, 01:47 AM
Time to get me summer gear on.I'm comming through:up:its show time;):yep:now I have some grid fixes I'm on my way,last time I was there couldn't find anything but little ships,this time will be different;)

abel29a
07-14-07, 06:43 AM
Oh yes, sit yourself down on tanker alley and have a party :) I did it March '42, not to many DD's or aircraft but tankers kept steaming doggedly at my position. Usually a pair of them every other day...

U-boat nirvana it was :up:

Brag
07-14-07, 06:54 AM
I will post some exact locations once I'm back on the GWXing seas :cool:

Brag
07-14-07, 09:49 AM
Southeast Caribbean intelligence report:
U-67
17 July 1942

Heavy air patrols begin 200 kilometres from Bridegetown

Heavy naval patrols ED95, ED98, ED99, ED94
We frequently had sound contact with 3 destroyers and 1 Elco. Combination of aircraft and ships made rechargin batteries and air pressure difficult during day & night. Attacking a ship would bring aircraft and Elco to the area within minutes.

For recharging batteris, we stayed with decks awash, which also allowed us to intermitently get sound contacts. Most of the time, we would be forced to dive within half hour of surfacing.

Conditions seem to improve toward the west. But we also sunk a Fletcher at ED9498

We sank medium modern tanker at 9473 heading 090. This seems to be the southern tanker route.

We have heard several freighters in vicinity of ED9548 on headings 340-160
Sunk a passenger liner on that location.

Area rich in targets but requires great caution.

IrischKapitan
07-14-07, 02:23 PM
Southeast Caribbean intelligence report:
U-67
17 July 1942

Heavy air patrols begin 200 kilometres from Bridegetown

Heavy naval patrols ED95, ED98, ED99, ED94
We frequently had sound contact with 3 destroyers and 1 Elco. Combination of aircraft and ships made rechargin batteries and air pressure difficult during day & night. Attacking a ship would bring aircraft and Elco to the area within minutes.

For recharging batteris, we stayed with decks awash, which also allowed us to intermitently get sound contacts. Most of the time, we would be forced to dive within half hour of surfacing.

Conditions seem to improve toward the west. But we also sunk a Fletcher at ED9498

We sank medium modern tanker at 9473 heading 090. This seems to be the southern tanker route.

We have heard several freighters in vicinity of ED9548 on headings 340-160
Sunk a passenger liner on that location.

Area rich in targets but requires great caution.

Oooh In think its time for a spin in the Carribean :sunny::sunny: