PDA

View Full Version : Crash to desktop

rvc72
07-13-07, 10:53 AM
Well, I installed the new patch and after sinking two freighters and viewing the last one burning, my system crashed to desktop, never happened before. Anyone experience this yet?

aanker
07-13-07, 11:21 AM
Well, I installed the new patch and after sinking two freighters and viewing the last one burning, my system crashed to desktop, never happened before. Anyone experience this yet?
Ouch! Yup. Exactly as you describe and I wondered since yesterday if it happened to anyone else. If this continues I may go back to modded 1.2. Never had a problem with 1.2.

tater
07-13-07, 11:24 AM
What type of freighter was it?

The Small Modern Composite will CTD every time if damaged in a way that makes it try to split forward of the superstructure.

tater

aanker
07-13-07, 11:31 AM
Ah ha! It was. I better aim better next time.

tater
07-13-07, 11:37 AM
That is VERY interesting. What year was it?

Usually, to get the CTD you need to have her loaded with ammo (or ammo crates on deck).

I asked the year because perhaps the torpedo had a larger warhead...

I have a thread about it here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118352

tater

aanker
07-13-07, 11:44 AM
That is VERY interesting. What year was it?

Usually, to get the CTD you need to have her loaded with ammo (or ammo crates on deck).

I asked the year because perhaps the torpedo had a larger warhead...

I have a thread about it here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118352

tater Feb 1944, USS Drum .. MK-14's. I've sunk plenty of those in the past. I'm off to check out your post (link thread). Thanks.

edit ----
Read it. Strange. I'll keep an eye on it but like I said I have sunk numerous Small Modern Composite's since SH4 came out and this is a 1st.

tater
07-13-07, 01:08 PM
It only happens if certain conditions are met.

It ALWAYS happens if the ship has ammo as internal cargo.

In the stock game NO merchants, NONE, have anythign but default cargo, so it is unlikely or impossible.

I cannot, even with a 25% torp increase mod tested, make a default cargo one CTD. OTOH, it always does it if I add ammo (deck or internal) to the ship's cargo.

I'm thinking it might happen for a very rare case with the default cargo (under keel shot working below forward hold?).

Canonicus
07-13-07, 01:28 PM
Ouch! Yup. Exactly as you describe and I wondered since yesterday if it happened to anyone else. If this continues I may go back to modded 1.2. Never had a problem with 1.2.

Thats very interesting ....seeing is I've had just the opposite experience.

I mean, 1.2 was a CTD makin' machine for me.....

Made my palms sweat everytime I took my boat out ! :o

1.3 , on the other hand,has been very stable...so far.

tater
07-13-07, 01:43 PM
It's NOT worth backtracking to 1.2 over, there are far too many improvements in 1.3.

If this is a showstopper for you, find taihosan maru in the Roster/Japan/Sea/ folder and delete it (make a backup someplace).

Of course any mission that explicitly calls for that ship will then CTD :D

I don;t think there are any.

Again, this also seems RARE in cases with the stock game. As far as I can tell it is related to damage to the front of the ship, and it has to be pretty severe. If you must attack one, don't put 4 fish in it, heheh.

tater

rvc72
07-13-07, 04:09 PM
Ya know, I believe it was a Small Modern Composite freighter now I think about it. The first one didn't do anything but sink but the second one did have a pretty big explosion before I visited my desktop. Don't know how to tell what kind of freight a ship has though, maybe I should just keep away from that particular target huh?

tater
07-13-07, 05:29 PM
For now, yeah. Look at the bright side, in any convoy it's the absolute smallest target, you're doing your tonnage per fish ratio a favor ;) . Out of curiosity, were you shooting shallow, or under the keel?

I've fired a LOT of fish at them (default cargo) in the last could days and not one has CTDed on me (my test has been to fire 6-10 fish at them every test as fast as I can switch tubes).

Every one with ammo (on deck or below) has done it, though.

I experimented with magnetic shots, but they run under even at 1 foot and don't explode.

Ducimus
07-13-07, 06:17 PM
If this is ultimatly an issue with the 3d model in the data/sea directory, you could always inheirt another model by specifying another model to use in the Small Modern Composite freighter CFG file. I need to quit lurking for patch issues, i see something like this, i get an idea, and the urge to post is incredible.

tater
07-13-07, 06:45 PM
I'm working on it...

Course a small modern composite needs to be a composite superstructure, and modern looking (for the japanese ;) ).

This is not a 1.3 issue, it's as old as the model I bet. It's RARE as well. I have been trying to CTD with stock cargo and I cannot make it happen so far, and I've sunk dozens of them. It requires either (assuming the examples in this thread were the stock game) a "golden bb" or ammo as cargo.

In the short term, not firing loads of fish at them will probably do the job. For my altered campaign files I'll scrag ammo as cargo for a while. Luckily (thanks to lurker_hlb3) I have some code for the automated editor that makes changing all the files a minimal clicks effort.

tater

tater
07-15-07, 11:35 AM
Jace11 saves the day!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118352&page=2

It's a WIP, but so far I cannot get the CTD any more, and I fired 10 fish at a Taihosan Maru loaded with internal ammo, and ammo crates on deck, no CTD (in a test without the mod, even 1 fish would make her CTD).

<S> Jace11 :rock:

tater

pkadaj2
07-15-07, 11:42 AM
I used to have problems like this with SH3. It would happened when I installed a new mod while being in the middle of the mission. If you are installing mods, make sure you do it when you're in port.

gg5056
07-15-07, 12:14 PM
Three days ago I installed 1.3 . it was fine, then crashed, then whole computer crashed. took several hours to get computer work ,but SH4 would not work.

I had to format the hard drive, install window xp & vista. Then load SH4 again.

working fine now. it took 2 days to complete.

aanker
07-15-07, 12:36 PM
Jace11 saves the day!

<S> Jace11 :rock:

tater
Yup, me too. Thanks guys. I can't get it to CTD any more. I hope the modders are aware of this glitch.

Art

tater
07-15-07, 01:07 PM
Yeah, it's in the mod forums.