PDA

View Full Version : Graphics and performance question

cultist
07-06-07, 06:31 AM
Hello there.
I am wondering if i could play the SH3 and GWX1.03 without so much ... loss in fps.
I don`t know how this is called in english,but the game runs like ...
So here are my specs
PIV 2400
1gb ram
geforce fx5200 128
i`m not going to change these...so if anyone has any ideeas on this please say so :D
what i`ve tried so far
installed lite harbour traffic
and concrete textures lite
this improoved things
video options:
particle density 10
no sincronise
no good textures

i`m thinking i don`t need the surface of the water to be so good looking,i know that eats ram...other stuff would be the animations in the harbors,i could do without,also i`ve read somewhere that you can cut sound so that the game runs better,but i never saw the actual method (i selected no music already :D )

so what do you guys say
am i hopeless?

Kpt. Lehmann
07-06-07, 07:19 AM
Well matey, it appears to me that your video card is the weak link. The "recommended specification" calls for a 256 mb graphics card. Once that is upgraded, you should be just fine.

In the meantime, turn off all programs running in the background, like internet etc.

Run a full system spyware and virus detection check.

Defrag your HD. (Even a few percentage points frag here can reduce performance.)

I would also disable the concrete texture mod. Even the light version increases the size of the textures rendered in-harbor. The worst FPS in the game (even with lite harbor traffic) is in the harbors. Increasing the size of the concrete textures will have a negative impact.

Welcome to Subsim. :up: :up: :up: Here is your potato peeler. Fritz is waiting for you in the galley. Lucky for you, it isn't Tuesday.

cultist
07-06-07, 07:42 AM
thank you for your quick answer
i will do that
by the way if i turn sinc on will it help or not?
who is Fritz btw :)

SmokinTep
07-06-07, 07:44 AM
Just don't bend over in front of Fritz.............

ReallyDedPoet
07-06-07, 07:46 AM
Welcome:up: cultist

RDP

danlisa
07-06-07, 07:49 AM
Turning on V-Sync, with your gfx card will not help. Sorry.

A neat little trick to give you a little performance boost is to increase the CPU priority of the SH3.exe process from within the windows task manager. Set it to high after Alt+Tab from the main menu of SH3.;)

You can also double the amount of Virtual Memory on your system, this will help.

There are programs like Enditall & Xp Smoker which will manage the closing & restarting of programs that run in the background.

Also, make sure that you are not 'forcing' any AA or AF through your GFX card settings. Either turn them off or set them to 'Application Preference'.

Welcome to Subsim & enjoy the GWeXperience.:up:

ichso
07-06-07, 07:49 AM
thank you for your quick answer
i will do that
by the way if i turn sinc on will it help or not?
who is Fritz btw :)
Sinc = Sync = synchronisation ;)

If this show any effect on the performance it should be a slight loss of fps.
So if in doubt, turn it off.

A neat little trick to give you a little performance boost is to increase the CPU priority of the SH3.exe process from within the windows task manager. Set it to high after Alt+Tab from the main menu of SH3
If nothing runs in the background (as you advised) SH3 will be able to use the CPU to 99% (=~100%) what means that a higher priority there does effectively nothing.

Kpt. Lehmann
07-06-07, 11:09 AM
Fritz is a rather stocky, short, and hairy fellow. He's the head cook and galley boss, naturally also in charge of KP duty. (Potato peeling... and on Tuesdays... onions.)

That being said, he's not a bad sort of man. He's they guy who brings ya coffee when you come down from watch half-frozen... and explains many of the "unwritten" rules of the boat to newcomers.:arrgh!:

danlisa
07-06-07, 11:18 AM
Fritz is a rather stocky, short, and hairy fellow. He's the head cook and galley boss, naturally also in charge of KP duty. (Potato peeling... and on Tuesdays... onions.)

That being said, he's not a bad sort of man. He's they guy who brings ya coffee when you come down from watch half-frozen... and explains many of the "unwritten" rules of the boat to newcomers.:arrgh!:

Ah! You mean Jimbuna.:rotfl:
:arrgh!:

IrischKapitan
07-06-07, 02:04 PM

Ah! You mean Jimbuna.:rotfl:
:arrgh!:

:rotfl::rotfl:

Also watch out for Bernard, hes the fellow that will nick Fritzs tinned baked beans, and forces you to surface early due to Co2 levels..........

Kpt. Lehmann
07-06-07, 03:47 PM
Ahh yes... the beans.

Jimbuna
07-06-07, 03:53 PM
Welcome aboard Kaleun cultist :arrgh!:
Take heed of what your being told....the galley is a world apart from the rest of the boat :yep:
Pssst!...let me show you around....have you seen where the golden rivet is located ? ;)

Konovalov
07-06-07, 04:18 PM
Welcome Cultist. :)

Bottom line is that your graphics card stinks.

The Nvidia 5200 series was a shocker. :yep: Because you have the Fx 5200 card I assume your motherboard only supports AGP and not PCI-Express graphics cards. If my assumption is correct then your best bet is to purchase a new AGP graphics card. Have a look here at Toms Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/07/03/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money_uk/page5.html)as to your options regarding AGP cards in the budget category. The page after that linked shows high priced AGP cards. Frankly any of the budget AGP cards such as the ATI Radeon X1650 Pro or the Nvidia GeForce 7600GS will be a big jump up from your current Fx5200 graphics card. Not only would SHIII perform better but the eye candy will look much better.

If you can't or don't want to upgrade your card then the advice given earlier is the best that you will be able to do although you will not see massive gains I suspect. As I said earlier the Nvidia GeForce 5200FX is one of the worst cards Nvidia has ever produced period. :down:

cultist
07-07-07, 12:24 AM
Thanks for your advices guys,Kriegsmarine is a weird place to be,with Fritz and all.
Anyway all i need now is to learn how to manualy target the ships.TCD,i don`t get it for now,i know how to manually identify targets,but i dont know to work with tcd.The game runs decent now,it can be played,the mod is Uber.
I didn`t pass the torpedo exam,i sunk only the cargo ship that was standing :D Please teach me how to set the torpedoes,and how to aim,change the ship coords in the tcd or whatever.Playing full realism :D
Godspeed commanders:ping:

Sebbe02
07-07-07, 03:56 AM
check the manual :D and there's a very good video that comes with that part of the academy.

There are some alternatives for parts of the game's manual targeting. I personally use the 3'15 trick to measure speed:

Use the notebook to get distance and AOB, and to get speed, measure the distance that your target travels in 3 minutes and 15 seconds. You can time it with your chronometer and use the map to measure the distance.

Speed= 10 x distance (in knots)
example= 0,7 kilometers becomes 7 knots

TigerShark808
07-07-07, 04:51 AM
Hello there.
I am wondering if i could play the SH3 and GWX1.03 without so much ... loss in fps.
I don`t know how this is called in english,but the game runs like ...
So here are my specs
PIV 2400
1gb ram
geforce fx5200 128
i`m not going to change these...so if anyone has any ideeas on this please say so :D
what i`ve tried so far
installed lite harbour traffic
and concrete textures lite
this improoved things
video options:
particle density 10
no sincronise
no good textures

i`m thinking i don`t need the surface of the water to be so good looking,i know that eats ram...other stuff would be the animations in the harbors,i could do without,also i`ve read somewhere that you can cut sound so that the game runs better,but i never saw the actual method (i selected no music already :D )

so what do you guys say
am i hopeless?

Well you do need a better video card but as long as "we" all are talking performance it should be clear that BUS SIZE is most important when considering speed ..dont want to over work your controller ;)

MENTAT
07-09-07, 05:47 AM
Hi there,

I dont want to steal the topic, but;

is there anyone who have tried this on a laptop computer with a 128MB Intel 915 GMA graphics card?

is it possible to do it?

bgeorgalas
07-09-07, 05:59 AM
With that graphic card no, but I am playing in an Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A1667G1, with an AMD 64, 2.6ghz, 1gb RAM, and an ATI X700 with 128mb dedicated VRAM...I don't use antiliasing settings, high minimap details etc and the game is absolutely playable.....