PDA

View Full Version : Impact Vs Magnetic Detonation

Brag
07-05-07, 07:33 PM
Recently there has been a lot said against the use of magnetic detonation on torpedoes.

the biggest argument against being their ineffectiveness in riugh seas.

Let's examine the problem.

ALL torpedoes come with impact and magnetic pistols. Your only control is setting the depth at which the torpedo will run.

Premature explosions occur when the torpeod broaches in rough seas. So the deeper the torpedo runs, the less chances for it to broach. Thus rough seas dictate the use of magnetics.

I believe that most magnetic torpedoe failures occur due to the torpedo depth not being set deep enough. My rule of thumb is a depth of 1.5 meters below the keel.
Anything less, in rough weather , could strike the hull of a heaving ship at an angle to the ship's skin which makes the impact detonator to fail.

Even in the early days of the war, I found magnetics no worse than impacts. It's all a matter of proper depth.

Iron Budokan
07-05-07, 08:43 PM
Mag torps have a high failure rate, even in calm seas.

Brag
07-05-07, 09:43 PM
All torps are mag torps, it's up to you to set how are they going to run and where they are going to explode, on impact or under the keel.

Hondo314
07-06-07, 12:33 AM
All torps are mag torps, it's up to you to set how are they going to run and where they are going to explode, on impact or under the keel.

Granted, both impact and magnetic detonators are incorporated in each torpedo, but they are selectable. In game, the magnetic setting leaves both detonators enabled. Selecting the impact setting disables the magnetic detonator, leaving only the impact detonator enabled. When you say that premature detonation occurs when torpedos broach, are you suggesting that the impact of a wave against the nose of the torpedo is what triggers detonation?

I do not know the intricasies of magnetic detonators, but I imagine they work somewhat like a relay in which magnetic attraction between two contacts closes a switch to trigger detonation. Rather than an electricomaget in modern relays, the ferromagnetic metals of a ships hull disrupt the earth's magnetic field between two contacts to close the switch. Given the relative weakness of the earth's magnetic field at the surface, the contacts would have to be close to be sensitive enough. The vibrations resulting from a broaching torpedo might be enough to force the contacts to touch and close the circuit.

In summary, the forces involved with a broaching torpedo may conceivably trigger either detonator. Because both are enabled with the magnetic setting, the only way to test for sure is to send eels at shallow depths with both settings to see if there's a difference.:know:

Tobus
07-06-07, 02:01 AM
All fine and dandy, but what about damage between impact and magnetic?
I find no difference between them, using roughly a benchmark for 1 torp per 5000 tons. But even then, I sometimes have to use 2 fish for a ship under 5000 tons.

Magnetic is for exacting the most damage possible from a torpedo on a ship's hull, by exploding underneath the ship, thus forcing all explosive force into the keel of the ship, aimed at breaking it's back. This seldom happens for me, so I have to use 2 torps either way. I therefor tend to always use impact, only using magnetic when firing on ships with to great a deflectionangle to ensure an impact hit.

Magnetic detonation under a hull should do more damage than impact detonation against a hull, but I don't see it all that much.

Hadrys
07-06-07, 02:08 AM
Magnetic detonation under a hull should do more damage than impact detonation against a hull, but I don't see it all that much.

Until recently I was - go for magnetics - but now, impact set around 5m is very deadly! One shot for 10k or more. Magnetics do it maybe faster but a good impact can crush a tanker. I think I'm too good at this now... :arrgh!:

Goose_green
07-06-07, 02:54 AM
I used to swear blind by using magnetic pistol, mainly for the high shock effect with the insides of the target, mainly causing fuel bunkers to explode or damaging the engine. But with the use of the GWX mod and the like I have found the impact pistols are better mainly for the sinking effect. I would rather put a dirty great big hole in the side of the target and improving my odds of sinking the target.

So it's impact pistol for me.

SmokinTep
07-06-07, 05:15 AM
I prefer impacts unless I can't get a good angle on the target, then I'll use a magnetic, and a magnetic one for any destroyer dumb enough to follow me.......

joea
07-06-07, 05:39 AM
ALL torpedoes come with impact and magnetic pistols. Your only control is setting the depth at which the torpedo will run.

Well no that's not correct you can select contact only, or contact and magnetic.

Jimbuna
07-06-07, 10:21 AM
I'm getting a little confused here :hmm:
As far as I am aware you always have the choice to set depth, speed (steam only) and contact setting 'impact or magnetic' ....yes ? :know:

Hadrys
07-06-07, 10:25 AM
As far as I am aware you always have the choice to set depth, speed (steam only) and contact setting 'impact or magnetic' ....yes ? :know:

Are u sure guys that magnetic is also impact? No torp ever detonated as impact (it was too low if it blow, it would bounce so magnetic worked). Anyone tried shooting magnetic at minimum depth?

Jimbuna
07-06-07, 10:54 AM

Are u sure guys that magnetic is also impact? No torp ever detonated as impact (it was too low if it blow, it would bounce so magnetic worked). Anyone tried shooting magnetic at minimum depth?

Yeah....they still explode :yep:

melnibonian
07-06-07, 11:00 AM
In SH3 all torpedoes detonate on impact no matter what pistol they use. If you fire under the keel you need magnetic ones though. I have fired magnetic torpedoes to DDs set at 1m running depth without any problems. They hit and explode on impact.

Hadrys
07-06-07, 11:10 AM
In SH3 all torpedoes detonate on impact no matter what pistol they use. If you fire under the keel you need magnetic ones though. I have fired magnetic torpedoes to DDs set at 1m running depth without any problems. They hit and explode on impact.

So than if the sea is not that bad than it's wiser to use magnetic like impact as there is a chance it will explode if the angle is bad and hopefully no premature detonation? :88)

Jimbuna
07-06-07, 11:17 AM
You need to make that assessment yourself on each individual occasion (sea state, angle etc.) :arrgh!:

ichso
07-06-07, 11:18 AM
Perhaps not in the very early stages but in the the beginning of '41 I have very few problems with that.

melnibonian
07-06-07, 11:20 AM
So than if the sea is not that bad than it's wiser to use magnetic like impact as there is a chance it will explode if the angle is bad and hopefully no premature detonation? :88)
Early in the war (until mid-1942) torpedoes with magnetic pistols have higher chances to fail. After that they are the same as the impact ones.

If the AOB is bad and you fire at an impact depth (i.e. the torpedo will hit the ship and not pass under it) it makes no difference which torpedo you will use. Both have the same chance to bounce off the hull. In those cases it's better to fire a keel shot with a magnetic pistol.

Thniper
07-06-07, 12:28 PM
OK, slightly OFFTOPIC here, but ...

Do acustic torpedos also have a chance of premature explosion?

It never happened to me, they always found their target or sometimes went to the open sea.:lol:

ichso
07-06-07, 12:30 PM
Maybe not because they become availabe very late ? Didn't happen to me neither :roll:

Jimbuna
07-06-07, 12:50 PM
OK, slightly OFFTOPIC here, but ...

Do acustic torpedos also have a chance of premature explosion?

It never happened to me, they always found their target or sometimes went to the open sea.:lol:

Never had that problem with them :nope: They are newer technology so should be okay :yep:

papa_smurf
07-06-07, 01:28 PM
Personally I use impact pistol on ships 3000tons or less, and magnetic on 3000 ton plus ships. I find this combination very sucessful, but other times fails horribly

Hadrys
07-07-07, 05:29 AM
Personally I use impact pistol on ships 3000tons or less, and magnetic on 3000 ton plus ships. I find this combination very sucessful, but other times fails horribly

I don't bother with ships under 3000, just let them go as they tend not to sink! You can convert it into a piece of swiss cheese and it will still float :damn: Removed even my 88...

Jimbuna
07-07-07, 05:34 AM
You can convert it into a piece of swiss cheese and it will still float

that's because the cargo they carry is usually cork :D