PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How much do you sleep on an SH3 night?

Schöneboom
07-05-07, 10:48 AM
Is anyone else here feeling a little sleep-deprived? I'm coming to work looking more like Thomsen every day! Must... get... caffeine... :dead:

(If you've ever made any poor tactical decisions due to lack of sleep, this is a good place to tell us. I'll share a story later.)

CapZap1970
07-05-07, 11:02 AM
Sometimes I go to work with a zombie face.... after sleeping 3 or 4 hours the night before. Why? simple.... I had a patrol to do :rotfl: :rotfl:
CapZap

Swat
07-05-07, 11:12 AM
Already went straight from the comp directly to work,have not slept even a minute.Made my job as it was expected from me,after I got back home I was totally dead:arrgh!:

Schöneboom
07-05-07, 11:26 AM
Dangers of Sleep Deprivation: Last night I couldn't even follow my own advice ("Don't stick around for the fireworks!") -- after finally locating a convoy in pitch darkness, I torpedo the first ship I see at close range. The first eel's a dud, but the second one hits -- I know 'cause I stayed there to make sure! Then DUH, all the searchlights come on! :o A Star Is Born! :rotfl:

Well, it was 4th of July...

ReallyDedPoet
07-05-07, 12:50 PM
My kids don't care how long I play, their dad is getting up regardless :oops:

RDP

KeybdFlyer
07-05-07, 01:00 PM
I've got a slight advantage over most, I work from home. I've decided to start a new career and play it an 1x TC so that I can leave the machine on through the day while I get on with things and give myself a break now and then to check on crew fatigue etc. This way I can have SH3 GWX available and running for almost 24/7 interrupted only when I need to Photoshop!

Thniper
07-05-07, 01:02 PM
A good kaleun shouldn't sleep at all.;)

You always have to keep an eye on your crew.
Well, I don't trust my 1WO, he's too sloppy. Once I observed him snoozing while on duty.
Next day he had to clean the toilet ... right after we had Bohneneintopf for lunch. :D

I have to get rid of him somehow ... :hmm:

ichso
07-05-07, 02:04 PM

A good kaleun has to be up and fully awake when something important happens.Til then he has to rest to be most fit when it matters the most. And he needs someone relyable who can wake him up in time :yep:

ReallyDedPoet
07-05-07, 03:42 PM

A good kaleun has to be up and fully awake when something important happens.Til then he has to rest to be most fit when it matters the most. And he needs someone relyable who can wake him up in time :yep:

Yes:up:

RDP

Hadrys
07-05-07, 04:02 PM
I've got a slight advantage over most, I work from home. I've decided to start a new career and play it an 1x TC so that I can leave the machine on through the day while I get on with things and give myself a break now and then to check on crew fatigue etc. This way I can have SH3 GWX available and running for almost 24/7 interrupted only when I need to Photoshop!

I know that and I would say it's a huge advantage! I used to work in the morning, had to get up at 7:00 GMT so couldn't stay awake all night but now I start my work afternoon, depends but I have plenty of time to sleep in the morning, love to hunt for convoys at night at 1x TC. In general i go to 128-256TC as traveling over 5000km ducking against airplanes all the time. So it's very time consuming but worth it. With longer repair times lots of crew management is needed etc. PM me, you want know what to do when plyaing 1xTC and repairing a radio takes half a day... this is insane. One patrol is at least a whole real day.

Took my old rusted laptop from the closet to run my work program, skype and read/write on Subsim :arrgh!:

antikristuseke
07-05-07, 04:05 PM
Right now am about to start playing and dont plan on sleeping, which is good since ill have to be at work at 6am which is in 6 hours. And on an average night when i start playing SH3 ill play till going to work.

Schöneboom
07-05-07, 04:12 PM
"It's more than a game -- it's a way of life!" :lol:

I think I should return to my patrol sooner after work -- often I don't get started until 8 or 9 PM. Or maybe I ought to take a siesta -- then I could survive less sleep at night! :doh:

Hadrys
07-05-07, 04:56 PM
"It's more than a game -- it's a way of life!" :lol:

I think I should return to my patrol sooner after work -- often I don't get started until 8 or 9 PM. Or maybe I ought to take a siesta -- then I could survive less sleep at night! :doh:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

For somebody from the "outside world" we must look like bunch of sick people, too late for any kind of treatment :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW I've got a very stressful job and SH3 is the best way to relax during it... wired.

Kpt. Lehmann
07-05-07, 04:59 PM
LOL. I remember when I used to sleep.

Truth be told. SH3 was an escape from my own job stress. I just needed to "be somewhere else" when I came home.

ichso
07-05-07, 05:02 PM

For somebody from the "outside world" we must look like bunch of sick people, too late for any kind of treatment :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I'm afraid to tell you that especially those gamers who write into some forum about their favourite game all day long are the worst kind of all :doh: :roll:

At least this board includes many people you can actually TALK WITH and not only some annoying babies like in some other game's communities :D

:rock:

Schöneboom
07-05-07, 05:56 PM
Endlich! I'm having my L.I. install a long-overdue upgrade to the galley:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9498/caffettiere16kd2.jpg

:|\\

johnno74
07-05-07, 06:11 PM

Truth be told. SH3 was an escape from my own job stress. I just needed to "be somewhere else" when I came home.

Well put Kpt.

After a ****ty day at work, there isn't much more relaxing than standing on the bridge, watching the waves go by & the sun go down.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if I see anything to shoot at or not.

ichso
07-05-07, 06:11 PM
And now you can drink two cups of coffee at once.

Hadrys
07-05-07, 06:12 PM
Endlich! I'm having my L.I. install a long-overdue upgrade to the galley:
:|\\

Speechless! I want that in my kitchen, now!

antikristuseke
07-05-07, 06:24 PM
For me its more about giving my mind a work out rather than stress. Work in a non stressful environment if noise isnt conciedered. Its just that most days at work im working with things that weight either half my body weight or close to it which tends to exhaust the body but leaves the mind looking for something. Silent hunter offers both silence and a good mental workout.

GoldenRivet
07-05-07, 06:34 PM
7+ hours

because i only get to play it on my days off (friday, saturday and sunday) and i always end up going to bed around 4am and waking up around noon

:rotfl:

blue3golf
07-05-07, 06:50 PM
I only get one day off a week, so I play the night before that day and then get up the next day to spend time with the wife and kid.

Kpt. Lehmann
07-05-07, 06:52 PM

Well put Kpt.

After a ****ty day at work, there isn't much more relaxing than standing on the bridge, watching the waves go by & the sun go down.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if I see anything to shoot at or not.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. I'm still not tired of seeing the sunrise and sunset in SH3... and listening to the water.

Kpt. Lehmann
07-05-07, 06:54 PM
For me its more about giving my mind a work out rather than stress. Work in a non stressful environment if noise isnt conciedered. Its just that most days at work im working with things that weight either half my body weight or close to it which tends to exhaust the body but leaves the mind looking for something. Silent hunter offers both silence and a good mental workout.

Yes. A cure for intellectual starvation.

Sailor Steve
07-05-07, 07:14 PM
The last time I was able to play I was working nights. I would get of work at 06:30, head for home and bed. I always got a good night's (day's) sleep, and on play days I would stay up and play SH3 during my regular work hours; that is, all night long.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
07-05-07, 09:07 PM
how much i sleep on a night playing SH3 ? :hmm:

absolutely not :D
having a coffee machine right next to the computer if its the case

and when someone enters the room ad midday (mostly my sis) im still awake
but then im like -> eyes wide open :o, in a verry bad mood :stare:, and needing a sunglasses when they open the curtains :cool:

had it 40 times already :dead:

Thniper
07-06-07, 11:27 AM

but then im like -> eyes wide open :o, in a verry bad mood :stare:, and needing a sunglasses when they open the curtains :cool:

Same for me, but I don't let anyone open the curtains.:D :up:

btw did you ever try to play SH3 for 24 hours nonstop?
Well, I did it once ... and I won't do it again. Ever.:dead:
After that little 'adventure' I had a very uncomfortable sleep next night (always ALAAAAARRRMM!!! sounds in my ears).
I felt a bit like Thomsen at the bar Royal, when there was a telephone ring and he jerks yelling "Alarm!!!" and then goes "Scheiße, Mann!".

So I don't recommend to do it. I have learned my lesson!:yep:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
07-06-07, 12:18 PM

Same for me, but I don't let anyone open the curtains.:D :up:

btw did you ever try to play SH3 for 24 hours nonstop?
Well, I did it once ... and I won't do it again. Ever.:dead:
After that little 'adventure' I had a very uncomfortable sleep next night (always ALAAAAARRRMM!!! sounds in my ears).
I felt a bit like Thomsen at the bar Royal, when there was a telephone ring and he jerks yelling "Alarm!!!" and then goes "Scheiße, Mann!".

So I don't recommend to do it. I have learned my lesson!:yep:

did this to
but did it again and again...
had a super good sleep after every night of playing...
but couldnt sleep the night after that :dead: so i played SH3 again and stayed up all night again. untill my sis throws me in my bed and take's away my PC cable's :nope:

dmlavan
07-06-07, 01:03 PM
The regular end of the season for tv shows coincided with my finding out that there was an "updated" GWX (GWX 1.03)... since then I've religiously planted myself in front of the periscope for 2-3hrs every night when the wife and kids go to bed. I don't know what I'll do when GWX 1.04 comes out and there are "new" shows on tv - there may not be time to sleep!

ReM
07-06-07, 02:04 PM
The many times I slipped into bed next to the wife, who went to bed hours ago....:D

danurve
07-06-07, 03:06 PM
Tell me more about this sleep thing I keep hearing about :dead:

Sailor Steve
07-06-07, 04:41 PM
Tell me more about this sleep thing I keep hearing about :dead:
Don't worry about it...it's just a passing fad.

Kingcobra24
07-07-07, 02:51 PM
I'm not that addicted to ANY computer game. I always go to bed at the same time at night, and get up at the same time in the morning.
:lurk:

Goose_green
07-07-07, 02:56 PM
Since I'm a lorry driver sleep deprivation is not a good idea regardless of what I'm doing in my spare time:down:

However, when I used to play SH3 an awful amount in my pre driving days I did spend very little time asleep, after a few days of not shaving and having that 1000 yard stare people started to ask questions ;)

Penelope_Grey
07-07-07, 03:16 PM
I always make sure I get my full recommended 7+ hours of sleep.

KeptinCranky
07-07-07, 07:15 PM
It depends, if I have to go to work in less than 7 hours, I usually save and quit, if however that's not possible because I'm near shipping or evading baddies or something I sit it out and then just put on the autopilot at work, I've actually fallen asleep with someone on the phone while I was helping them configure their wireless network...woke up because he asked If i was still there, had to ask what we were trying to do...:nope:

If I have time off however I keep playing until I get woken up by "FLUGZEUG GESICHTET!" :o then if I survive that I go to sleep.

weirdest thing I had was I was listening on the hydrophone, heard weird noises, kept checking, still weird noises. switched to F2 screen, still weird noises...turns out it's the birds outside welcoming the dawn....:nope:

I don't use SH3 for post-work stress relief, I find GTA San Andreas far more satisfying...:hulk:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
07-07-07, 08:04 PM
...I find GTA San Andreas far more satisfying...

:hmm: you have the cop uniform already ?

i like to cruse around like a cop

Reverie
07-08-07, 04:49 AM
Sleep isn't a problem. I just set the view to what works for a reasonable screensaver (the rocking of the boat is perfect), and play the gramophone or listen to the waves and drop off to lullaby land.
Of course the frustration is when a disaster occurs that could have been averted if I were awake and watching. The last such incident was crying about the boat taking damage, but by the time I fell out of bed, stepped on pussy, and found my spectacles, the mission was concluded. I think I collided with an iceberg. It would be nice if the "Alaaarm" sound byte could be triggered by a proximty alert. I would set it like one would set an alarm clock.
Reverie

Jimbuna
07-08-07, 05:08 AM
In my line of work, SH3 is an absolute godsend.....It helps detoxify my mind and lower the stress levels :sunny:

Kpt. Lehmann
07-08-07, 09:20 AM
The many times I slipped into bed next to the wife, who went to bed hours ago....:D

Stop that while you still can.

It is the road to ruin...

... and SH3 isn't worth it.

Put her first.

SH3 will be there when you have time for it.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
07-08-07, 09:55 AM

Put her first.

or put a PC in the bed and play SH3 while lying next to the wife :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Penelope_Grey
07-08-07, 10:56 AM
I actually think Kap was making a serious point Mohr. Too much of something is a bad thing.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
07-08-07, 11:36 AM
tell me about it :roll:
i play SH3 12 hours a day and the other 12 hours i (somtimes) sleep...
and somtimes i play SH3 24 hours :dead:

Schöneboom
07-08-07, 11:52 AM
Keine Sorgen, Kaleu, one day we'll have a 12-step program for recovering U-Boat skippers! :D

Gott sei Dank that my girlfriend is both SH3-friendly and out of town often -- that means whenever she comes back, that's my Shore Leave! :yep: (Just 3 weeks to go, and boy, will I be glad to see her! Just like the sailor's life!)

Get some sleep, Jungs! :lol:

Jimbuna
07-08-07, 12:06 PM
or put a PC in the bed and play SH3 while lying next to the wife

At 19 years of age I guess I may of replied in a similar fashion :yep:

But at 49 I've gotta say "....and don't forget to wash your bottom and change yer nappy before you get into bed Mohr" :lol:

ReM
07-08-07, 12:21 PM

Put her first.

No it is not like that....we do spend quality time together; she even kisses me goodnight and wishes me fun and luck when she hits the sack.....

I don't do it every night of course.....;)

It's just that the late evening seems to be the only time I can really enjoy SHIII, without being disturbed by the kids or my wife..

No problems here, but thanks for the advice Kpt.

WilhelmSchulz.
07-08-07, 12:56 PM
I put 7+ hrs only because I sleep about 9-12 hrs after finely going to sleef at 3 of 4 AM. :roll:

Kpt. Lehmann
07-08-07, 01:25 PM
I put 7+ hrs only because I sleep about 9-12 hrs after finely going to sleef at 3 of 4 AM. :roll:

LOL, sounds like you need some "sleef" right now matey! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
07-08-07, 03:41 PM

But at 49 I've gotta say "....and don't forget to wash your bottom and change yer nappy before you get into bed Mohr" :lol:

well... i AM 19 (till january next year)
and thank god i dont have a girlfriend at the moment. but somtimes i want one :nope:

and about the other :hmm:... i go to bed with only my boxers on...
then cuddling with my cat who purrs me asleep :smug:

Jimbuna
07-08-07, 03:58 PM

and thank god i dont have a girlfriend at the moment. but somtimes i want one :nope:

Took you a while to respond....was thinking you'd overslept :lol: :up:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
07-08-07, 04:11 PM

Took you a while to respond....was thinking you'd overslept :lol: :up:

:o how did you know

U49
09-30-07, 06:12 AM
:zzz: Colleagues are sometimes wondering if I work a second job at night... :D
Not realy a wrong impression :know:

Spruence M
09-30-07, 03:39 PM
I
weirdest thing I had was I was listening on the hydrophone, heard weird noises, kept checking, still weird noises. switched to F2 screen, still weird noises...turns out it's the birds outside welcoming the dawn....:nope:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Are you watching me?

-SWCowboy.
02-08-08, 05:38 PM
I go to sleep when my wife tells me to :cool: Yep...I'm whipped...but it keeps her happy :up: I had to resort to this when she threatened to toss out my laptop :oops:

Happy wife, happy life! ;) ...and let me tell you something...I am a very VERY happy man :rotfl:

Ivan Putski
02-08-08, 06:00 PM
I don`t get much sleep, and don`t require much. My wife works the 10p-6a shift, so I often play SHIII during that time frame. I`ve retired twice, once from the military, and once from law enforcement. My wife works in law inforcement, and as mentioned she works thru the graveyard shift. Since my bypass surgery, and amputation of my left leg, she calls throughout the night to check on me, which keeps me up anyway. Lol

She often says "are you riding on the surface, or submerged, and under attack." If I tell her I`m in deep ****, she says "Call you later, don`t lose the boat." She`s pretty cool about it all, she also buys me a new handgun of my choice for my birthday, and for Christmas. She`s a good First Mate.:up: :up:

Blacklight
02-08-08, 07:38 PM
I've actually fallen asleep play SHII only to be blasted awake by one of my crew freaking out about something !:doh:

Kaptain Hans Wolf
02-09-08, 05:00 AM
sleep is good, very good. no chance of escaping a depth charge attack if you can hardly see the keybord!

Kaptain Hans Wolf
02-09-08, 05:02 AM
you have a great set up for playing sh3 there mate, i wish i could get a handgun every birthday, imagine the posibilities, maybe take care of our dim witted radio man:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

TomcatMVD
02-09-08, 11:03 AM
I can only do overnight hunting on my first weekly free day whenever my wife lets me:cry:

Graf Paper
02-10-08, 05:00 PM
I usually sleep okay on days I make a patrol but it's because I'll save my game and then finish it the next day.

Sometimes I'll get so wrapped up in a patrol that I'll play through it until I'm back to base. Those usually take 8-12 hours, depending on how soon I expend my torps.

Once, I played a patrol that took me 15 hours. I dozed off at 2 a.m. only to be startled awake by my WO rattling off all these "Ship spotted! Bearing xxx." I had practically sailed right into a convoy and spent the next two hours evading the escorts!

Those DD captains were probably thinking, "What's up with that U-boat? The way it's just coming at us in a straight line and constant speed, you'd think the commander was asleep!".

STEED
02-10-08, 07:32 PM
According to the latest research you only need four hours a night, so in the mean time before these researchers change there minds get stuck in to SH3 or what ever.

Jimbuna
02-11-08, 08:05 AM
Aye, but on a good day one can sometimes get another couple in a spare cell :lol:

kiwi_2005
02-11-08, 08:49 AM
Depends on how busy i am with other things/gaming. SH - 2 to 8 hrs sometimes longer than 8