PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Ship?

Seaman Staines
07-03-07, 11:05 AM
Cruising north of Scapa Flow (AM34) on my way to my assigned patrol, I picked up a nearby contact and plotted my intercept course. Soon enough, a large merchant comes into range and promptly slips beneath the waves with a torpedo in her bow. I chalk up a convenient kill and resume course for my destination...

Moments later, I get another contact on top of the merchant I just sank (now behind me). It's close enough to warrant investigation, so I check the rearview mirror and there's another large merchant there. So I sneak up and sink it. More tonnage. Gotta love it.

I do a quick scan with the hydrophone. Nothing out there, so back to my original course when suddenly...another contact right on top of the previous two. Check the rearview mirror again. Another large merchant?! I left it alone this time, but it seems to me I could have expended all my torpedoes just sitting there waiting for the ship to rise from its watery grave.

Anyone seen this before?

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
07-03-07, 11:51 AM
bernard stop playing submarine with this ship :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

never seen that.
should be a shock for the crew if it suddenly rises out of the sea

SmokinTep
07-03-07, 11:55 AM
You found the tonnage motherload..............:lol:

Brag
07-03-07, 02:05 PM
Must be inside the Bermuda ship spawning triangle. The ships are full of aliens. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Wave Skipper
07-03-07, 02:49 PM
Just yesterday I sank a light Cruiser with 2 fish and saw it go up and start to sink - then I swung my sight to another ship, but then I realized the cruiser was still speeding around (the task force only had one!) at the location where I sunk it there was still a big fire burning on the water, But the cruiser - though showing two hit scars - was good as new and ready for action once more! This is the third time that has happened. At first I thought I was missing something. I have reloaded the game twice and yet it happened again. It never used to happen in 2005 - so I reset my computer timer back to 2005 incase there was something in the code that was stupidly date controlled.

Other weird things have shown up. I started noticing that a ship type here and a ship type there were requiring magnetic torpedoes to be set 0.5 meter deeper or even 1 or more deeper. I would recheck my old notes or the game ships-book and saw that while a clemson was listed as having a keel of 2.8 I was having to treat it as 3 meters instead. This went on slowly for months as more and more ships added themselves to this Twighlight Zone list. Of course I tried reloading my game and even reformatting the disk. Now the Clemson in my games has a keel of 3.2. The Troop Transports seem to have a less deep keel now. Could my computer chip be going whacko? It is old.

Now I am not talking about storm damaged ships. I know that those will ride deeper in the water. I am talking about ships riding right where they ought to be on the waterline. I have also noted more instances where I sink ships and don't get credit for it - but that happened in the old days too.

Redshirt
07-03-07, 04:03 PM
Just yesterday I sank a light Cruiser with 2 fish and saw it go up and start to sink - then I swung my sight to another ship, but then I realized the cruiser was still speeding around (the task force only had one!) at the location where I sunk it there was still a big fire burning on the water, But the cruiser - though showing two hit scars - was good as new and ready for action once more! This is the third time that has happened. At first I thought I was missing something. I have reloaded the game twice and yet it happened again. It never used to happen in 2005 - so I reset my computer timer back to 2005 incase there was something in the code that was stupidly date controlled.

Other weird things have shown up. I started noticing that a ship type here and a ship type there were requiring magnetic torpedoes to be set 0.5 meter deeper or even 1 or more deeper. I would recheck my old notes or the game ships-book and saw that while a clemson was listed as having a keel of 2.8 I was having to treat it as 3 meters instead. This went on slowly for months as more and more ships added themselves to this Twighlight Zone list. Of course I tried reloading my game and even reformatting the disk. Now the Clemson in my games has a keel of 3.2. The Troop Transports seem to have a less deep keel now. Could my computer chip be going whacko? It is old.

Now I am not talking about storm damaged ships. I know that those will ride deeper in the water. I am talking about ships riding right where they ought to be on the waterline. I have also noted more instances where I sink ships and don't get credit for it - but that happened in the old days too.

Be careful with the saving and loading near ANY other ship, i saved a game in port once (i wanted to check out my AA mounts) then loaded it a couple of days later and the harbour traffic went wacko lol ships sinking, ships running into other things and each other and catching fire. So I wouldnt recommend saving/loading a game near any other shipping it seems to produce weridness

Canovaro
07-04-07, 07:03 AM
...Other weird things have shown up. I started noticing that a ship type here and a ship type there were requiring magnetic torpedoes to be set 0.5 meter deeper or even 1 or more deeper. I would recheck my old notes or the game ships-book and saw that while a clemson was listed as having a keel of 2.8 I was having to treat it as 3 meters instead. This went on slowly for months as more and more ships added themselves to this Twighlight Zone list....

Was this in heavy seas? In heavy seas the ships start rocking and rolling so the torpedo might have gone underneath it because of that.