PDA

View Full Version : Huh, something I've wondered about today.

cshank4
07-02-07, 04:00 AM
Submarine vs Submarine combat. So, I was playing, and the report came in from Kommand that one of the subs in my flotilla downed a Polish one. So, here I am thinking, 'Nifty, must have caught it coming out of port. For the faderlund and all that.' But then I started thinking, what if they were both putting the untersee in unterseeboot? How would you hunt a sub without visuals? Sonar and Hydrophone? Seems insanely hard to do in game, if you ask me. How would you fire the torpedoes and get a hit? Why is the sky blue? Why is the ocean a cruel mistress?

Maraz
07-02-07, 04:12 AM
Lots of submarines were torpedoed, while sailing surfaced ,by an enemy sub that was lying submerged in ambush. Favourite ambush points were near submarine bases.

There were cases of sub vs sub fights, but both subs were surfaced. Once one of them submerged, there was little chance for the other to hit.

Maraz

CapZap1970
07-02-07, 10:05 AM
Lots of submarines were torpedoed, while sailing surfaced ,by an enemy sub that was lying submerged in ambush. Favourite ambush points were near submarine bases.

There were cases of sub vs sub fights, but both subs were surfaced. Once one of them submerged, there was little chance for the other to hit.

Maraz
That is true....:up: :yep:
I sunk some brit subs in convoys when they are too stupid as to sail surfaced. The only thing is that you must be sure to set your torp depth at 2 m or it will run under the target. ;)
CapZap

Jimbuna
07-02-07, 10:32 AM
IIRC the British submarine service sank more U-boats than any other Allied submarine service :hmm:

Here's a link to the only known sub v sub (submerged) action during WWII :up:

http://uboat.net/boats/u864.htm

MENTAT
07-02-07, 01:01 PM
Maraz That is true....:up: :yep:
I sunk some brit subs in convoys when they are too stupid as to sail surfaced. The only thing is that you must be sure to set your torp depth at 2 m or it will run under the target. ;)
CapZap[/quote]

magnetic or impulse?

CapZap1970
07-02-07, 01:03 PM
Maraz That is true....:up: :yep:
CapZap

magnetic or impulse?[/quote]
Impact detonators, just to avoid any chances of failure.... ;)
CapZap

Heibges
07-02-07, 01:04 PM
I think there is one case of a submerged submarine torpedoing another submerged submarines. I believe the Sub Skipper said his target was practicing poor periscope discipline.

MENTAT
07-02-07, 03:38 PM
magnetic or impulse? Impact detonators, just to avoid any chances of failure.... ;)
CapZap

I have seen torpedoes bouncing deeper with an impact setting, from the keel.. :nope: by 0,3 -0,5 meters :damn:

JU_88
07-02-07, 05:19 PM
I think most of the Sub vs sub action in WW2 happened in the Med, British and Italian subs fought it out with eachother a fair bit.
Only about half a dozen Allied subs were sunk by Uboats, but about 18 Uboats were lost at the hands of Allied subs... The Brit sub fleet was the busiest with 13 Uboat kills.

CapZap1970
07-02-07, 05:51 PM
magnetic or impulse? Impact detonators, just to avoid any chances of failure.... ;)
CapZap

I have seen torpedoes bouncing deeper with an impact setting, from the keel.. :nope: by 0,3 -0,5 meters :damn:
Thanks a lot for the info, next time i will take it in account. It's just that i was scared that my torp runs under the enemy sub... ;)
However, 2 meters seems to be a good depth to hit a surfaced sub.
CapZap

cshank4
07-02-07, 06:43 PM
Ah, thanks for the info guys.