PDA

View Full Version : Crippled ships

robj250
06-30-07, 03:58 PM
I crippled 2 C2 Cargo ships in my attack on a convoy but had to leave it. Is there a way I can go back and find those crippled ships and finish them off?

Rob

Mush Martin
06-30-07, 04:02 PM
Depends on the damage that the target suffered I think.
if eventually fatal no if only reducing speed but with
stabilized flooding then assumably yes assuming you can
get back to port load up and get back in front of him
before he makes port, I believe as long as hes afloat
with power hell try to complete the scripted course.
M

Brag
06-30-07, 04:04 PM
Sure,
Estimate their new position and go there. follow their trail, listen on the hydrophone once in a while.

Schöneboom
06-30-07, 04:06 PM
Gute Frage, robj250!

I remember in stock SH3 that even after marking the site of a disabled ship on the map, if I went far away and returned the next day, the ship would be gone, and I got no credit for its sinking (if indeed it sank). I don't know if GWX was able to fix that.

Well, if the weather's bad, I can always put it down to the ocean current carrying the wreck out of sight. Still, grrrr....

bigboywooly
06-30-07, 04:47 PM
If you sail anything more than 50km away the ship will spawn again on next contact as complete and undamaged
Hardcoded

If the distance was any greater your pc wouldnt move as would be rendering ships all over

robj250
07-01-07, 07:44 PM
Well BB, I went back to the area where I sunk the ship in the convoy, and I kept submerging and using the hydrophone and was picking up a slow ship's screw and thought it was one of the crippled C2.

It took me 4 hours game time (also 4 hours my time) and following the direction of the hydrophone sound (no identification yet) zig-zaging as the hydrophone indicated the direction to travel, I then got an unknown (SO had no sound contact) and when I had the course fixed, I surfaced and went ahead slow because of the fog (increased TC 8) the lookout spotted a ship so I dove the periscope depth and looked through the periscope and found it to be a Clemson DD travelling only 5 kts, so I chased it at flank speed to get within range and position for a shot and sunk it. :up:

I was kinda ticked off that it was not one of the crippled merchant ships. Oh well, I can I say.

Heading now to AM53 to finish my required 24 hours. It's almost night.

Rob

Brag
07-02-07, 06:22 AM
Well done, Rob! The game is full of surprises--good hunting! :up:

SmokinTep
07-02-07, 06:26 AM
You can't go back and find a crippled ship, unless you sort of keep it it sight. If I cripple a ship, I will fall back and shadow her.

Jimbuna
07-02-07, 07:46 AM
Rob, the simple answer is NO as pointed out by BBW...mind you, I err on the side of caution and trail them but never at a distance exceeding 30km :up:

robj250
07-02-07, 09:04 AM
Rob, the simple answer is NO as pointed out by BBW...mind you, I err on the side of caution and trail them but never at a distance exceeding 30km :up:

I wasn't more than 30 k, away when I surfaced to load externals and go back. But I'm not going to worry about it. I got good practice using the hydrophone to locate the Clemson. :up:

Rob

Captain Nemo
07-02-07, 10:17 AM
If you sail anything more than 50km away the ship will spawn again on next contact as complete and undamaged
Hardcoded

If the distance was any greater your pc wouldnt move as would be rendering ships all over

Does the same apply to ships that have been sunk in a convoy or do they remain sunk even if you move more than 50km away?

Nemo

robj250
07-02-07, 10:34 AM
Hi Captain Nemo

Well, all I can say, is that during a mission, the ships that I sunk (not crippled) remain sunk until the mission is over.

'cause I can see their mark where I sunk them each time I call up a saved games to finish the mission. I can only play a mission for just so long and have to save it and play another day to finish the mission.

Rob

Captain Nemo
07-02-07, 10:40 AM
I save a lot as well as other things like work keep getting in the way! I know that the red sunk marker stays put, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether sunk ships respawn in a convoy if you move more than 50km away?

Nemo

robj250
07-02-07, 02:32 PM
Well, I got ahead of the convoy and commenced another atack. I took out what I could at close range with torpedoes.

I surfaced and had my gun crew fire at will and they sunk a neutral C3 Cargo. Man am I every in trouble.

I pulled ahead of the convoy again but as close as I could get was over 1,000 m of the ships that were the closest, so I fired my last two torpedoes at them and I missed with both.:damn:

Then two Hunt III entered the scene and I had to get the heck out of there.

My Gunner received a promotion for his gunnery action of sinking two ship, one which was neutral, damn.

Anyway, I made it back to Brest, my new base. So I guess I'll find out where that is when I start my next mission.

Rob