PDA

View Full Version : Op Paukenschlag and GWX

Goose_green
06-30-07, 10:35 AM
Just a query really for those who have some experience with patrols on the US Eastern seaboard while playing GWX.

How accurate is GWX in relation to Op Paukenschlag?

Is the traffic up and down the east coast as busy as it was in real life? And can I expect the same or similar results as did those early voyages in early 1942?

Your game experiences and thoughts on the subject would be very much appreciated.

ichso
06-30-07, 11:47 AM
I've nver been there yet but thist thread was about fending off some agressive DD's in that area:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=117398
Hope this helps a little :)

GoldenRivet
06-30-07, 01:08 PM
with the greatest of respect to the GWX team i offer the following:

I paid a visit to the US east coast regularly from January 1942 to May 1942 shortly after installing GWX and found it to be very different from text i have read.

in GWX I encountered numerous flower corvettes, torpedo boats and fletcher's in the shallows and only ran across a few tankers from boston all the way to miami.

In the book "Torpedo Junction" by Homer H Hickman Jr. he states:

"Admiral Andrews set up his headquarters in New York City, in the old federab building on 90 church street, and packed it with a communications center and plotting room from which he planned to manage American Coastal Defenses. All he had to manage however were 20 ships, some of them no more than barges and the largest of which was only a 165 foot coast guard cutter, plus 103 obsolete aircraft, most of them down for repairs. This pitiful force was supposed to guard over 1500 miles of rugged coast line stretching from canada to South Carolina."

- The Atlantic Fleet was by now being repositioned largely to the Pacific following the Pearl Harbor attack so little remained to fend off U- Boats.

Homer H Hickman Jr. continues:

"When the U-Boats took up their stations off Cape Hatteras in January 1942, only one large antisubmarine ship was there to oppose them. That was the United States Coast Guard Cutter Dione."

- seems like dione would literally be running a rat race of confusion from U-boat attack to U-boat attack - rarely if ever attacking anything at all.

Furthermore the appendix of the book states that during the height of operation Drumb Beat the allied vs. Axis Losses brok down monthly like so:

Number of boats lost:

Allied Ships Lost - U boats lost
Jan 1942 - 40 - 0
Feb 1942 - 34 - 0
Mar 1942 - 48 - 0
Apr 1942 - 50 - 1
May 1942 - 53 - 1
Jun 1942 - 34 - 1
Jul 1942 - 22 - 3
Aug 1942 - 4 - 1

as you can see the United States didnt muster much of an anti-submarine force until mid 1942.

Additionally... much of the book talks about finding numerous cargo ships and tankers on the U.S. East Coast with all navigational and onboard lights ON well into april and may of 1942.

in GWX what we encouter is substantially different. I have encountered Numerous flower corvettes and even a few fletchers and PT Boats from the very beginning. I have also noticed more than a hand full of air patrols. and much searching seems to be required in order to find the shipping lanes off the US east coast.

Though i LOVE GWX i think that more realism could be thrown into the mix by making at least half of all ships on the east coast run with lights ON, and also reduce the number of warships in the area to nearly nothing until at least April of 42. and what you do encounter should only be Armed tugs (No DCs) and PT Boats... with only ONE DC equipped boat to patrol the whole coast until at least march or april.

just my humble opinion. :rock:

bigboywooly
06-30-07, 02:05 PM
I have already altered the patrols for 1.04
I have removed the stock scripted patrols and replaced them with RND groups
Not giving anything more away
:rotfl:

Jimbuna
06-30-07, 02:28 PM

What!!....not even tonights lucky lotto numbers :lol:

Brag
06-30-07, 05:39 PM

What!!....not even tonights lucky lotto numbers :lol:

Ummm, loose lips. Lesh haff another drink :lol:

Goose_green
06-30-07, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the comments.

It's interesting to know what to expect, I had a feeling it would not be exactly like the history books. But I'm glad GWX 1.04 will hopefully correct this - at least us all Kaleuns will have a brief and historically correct "Happy Time"

Mnay thanks for your input.:up: