PDA

View Full Version : OT: History Channel Dogfights

kikn79
06-29-07, 12:36 PM
Just a heads up to everyone (as I have somehow missed this episode) tonight on Dogfights, they are going to show the "Death of the Japanese Navy" episode with the attack on the Yamato.

Chuck

mookiemookie
06-29-07, 12:51 PM
Have seen this before and I can say that I enjoyed it quite a bit!

GTHammer
06-29-07, 12:53 PM
:rotfl:lol, just posted this on a Yamato thread...least I'm not the only one watching the History channel. :rock:

tater
06-29-07, 01:15 PM
They use the wrong airplanes from time to time, but it's still pretty cool.

SteamWake
06-29-07, 01:16 PM
Yes it goes into the destruction of the Yamato in great detail (spiffy graphics too).

Ive heard rumors that the 'engine' they use to generate their animations is based on IL2.

mookiemookie
06-29-07, 01:16 PM
Just like in the sinking of the Bismarck episode where they refer to it as the "most powerful battleship afloat" (Yamato, South Dakota, Iowa clases...hello?) :shifty: But it's a good series nonetheless

tater
06-29-07, 02:06 PM
Yeah, that was pretty funny. Crippled by a single biplane and "most powerful afloat" are mutually exclusive statements.

The F4F-4s they used in the Guadalcanal episode were some wierd bash of parts of an F4F-4, and parts of an FM-2 (and no, it wasn't an FM-1, either ;) )

I also noticed the control surfaces don;t move. It would have been better filmed using Il-2, frankly.

SteamWake
06-29-07, 02:19 PM
I also noticed the control surfaces don;t move. It would have been better filmed using Il-2, frankly.

I never noticed that. Ill have to look for it now. Waaaahhhh spoiler :p

Sailor Steve
06-29-07, 04:22 PM
Just like in the sinking of the Bismarck episode where they refer to it as the "most powerful battleship afloat" (Yamato, South Dakota, Iowa clases...hello?) :shifty: But it's a good series nonetheless
Well, in May 1941..............................but then she wasn't more powerful than Rodney.

But I agree. I used to be a regular at the Warship1 boards, and sometimes it was a case of bringing up a particular History Channel show just to point out all the mistakes.

badaboom
06-29-07, 05:13 PM
Yeah,I've seen this one and will watch again tonight,I'ts very well done.
I'm currently reading a fantastic book about the battle of Taffy 3 in the Leyte Gulf called"The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors"by James.D.Hornfischer...:up: really enjoying it!!!

As a side note,speeking of the CGI and useing the IL2 engine,check out this guy's work!!!!download 1 or 2 small clips[1942 and 1945 are fantastic]and you'll see what I mean!!
http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/%7Esuppon/
sorry if I got a bit off topic.

Capt. Shark Bait
06-29-07, 05:46 PM
i taped(warez?:smug: ) hunt for Bismark and the graphics were amazing. looked like it was either SH4 or maybe 3 based. the swordfish looked too uber realistic:rock:

ReallyDedPoet
06-29-07, 05:57 PM
i taped(warez?:smug: ) hunt for Bismark and the graphics were amazing. looked like it was either SH4 or maybe 3 based. the swordfish looked too uber realistic:rock:

Saw this last night, good show, and you are right, looked pretty dam good:up:

RDP

CptWilkins
07-01-07, 09:40 AM
Anyone else seen "Sinking the Supership" from Nova? It's a pretty good overview of the Yamato's life and death, including some interviews with a few of the survivors. Interesting stuff.

Mush Martin
07-01-07, 09:44 AM
What an excellant show I only saw it for the very first time a few weeks
ago the korean one. wow. a must have.

MM

kikn79
07-02-07, 11:16 AM
Yeah,I've seen this one and will watch again tonight,I'ts very well done.
I'm currently reading a fantastic book about the battle of Taffy 3 in the Leyte Gulf called"The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors"by James.D.Hornfischer...:up: really enjoying it!!!

Just finished that book. Really great read! It inspired me to re-do the "Battle off Samar" single mission in SH4. The action is good in the stock version, however, it is not technically accurate.

The show made for a great companion with the book.

Chuck

Capt. Shark Bait
07-06-07, 06:23 PM
saw Yamato episode and it was good. Johnston and her crew definitely earned that PPresidential Unit Citation, as well as hew captain recieving the Medal of Honor even if it was potumously. took a lotta guts for those tin cans to go in like that. the grafix were just:o *still looking for jaw pieces on floor*. the detail is impressive, right down to a ladder in a burning control tower that had a hole in it. it even better than SH4:ping: