PDA

View Full Version : time compression

jerryb
06-28-07, 04:10 AM
Hi, new to this. While running SH3 at anything over 32X the screen freezes for a while and then gets jerky and then runs normally so I'm assuming that I've got something set up inccorectly. Any ideas? Thanks, Jerryb.

Paajtor
06-28-07, 04:52 AM
No, that's normal...the amount of freezing depends a little on how fast your PC is, but will show at higher TC anyway.
Usually, some event happens at a certain moment, and causes the temporary freezing.

So my advice when this occurs is: hit TCx1, and start scanning, because there's action in your area!

SmokinTep
06-28-07, 05:04 AM
I only get a little shakey at 1024x sometimes. When that happens, I know I am close to something big.

danlisa
06-28-07, 05:21 AM
Welcome to Subsim.

Freezing/stuttering while at Time Compression is an indication that SH3 is loading Ships or aircraft with in your subs render range.

It's always evident with low end memory/processor and can actually tell you when possible targets are nearby.

Next time it happens, drop out of TC and conduct a hydrophone check, you should pick up a contact or two.

It's a bit of a game killer but it's the way SH3 works.

Jimbuna
06-28-07, 06:21 AM
Don't cheat...get a faster cpu :lol:

Welcome aboard Kaleun jerryb :arrgh!:

joegrundman
06-28-07, 06:24 AM
I just kid myself that i'm the sort of commander that would have standing orders to dip to PD every 60 mins for a quick listen anyway

ichso
06-28-07, 06:24 AM
Welcome to Subsim.

Freezing/stuttering while at Time Compression is an indication that SH3 is loading Ships or aircraft with in your subs render range.

It's always evident with low end memory/processor and can actually tell you when possible targets are nearby.

Next time it happens, drop out of TC and conduct a hydrophone check, you should pick up a contact or two.

I don't like to play that way. It's a little bit like cheating because the game gives you information it wanted to hide from you.
If you are too far away from a ship to see it but you know that something must be there because the sim suddenly got a little drop in fps.
Missing some action because you didn't see a target and weren't planning on doing a random hydrophon check at that moment is historically acurate.

Jimbuna
06-28-07, 08:52 AM
Welcome to Subsim.

I don't like to play that way. It's a little bit like cheating because the game gives you information it wanted to hide from you.
If you are too far away from a ship to see it but you know that something must be there because the sim suddenly got a little drop in fps.
Missing some action because you didn't see a target and weren't planning on doing a random hydrophon check at that moment is historically acurate.

That's entirely your choice :yep:
Some will take onboard what Dan has stated and others won't.:nope:
Nevertheless, what he states is true. :yep:
So each to their own I suppose :hmm:

ReallyDedPoet
06-28-07, 08:53 AM
Welcome:up: jerryb

RDP

sunvalleyslim
06-28-07, 06:08 PM
I just kid myself that i'm the sort of commander that would have standing orders to dip to PD every 60 mins for a quick listen anyway

Geesh joegrundman,
Your crew must love you diving every hour...........LOL......

jerryb
06-29-07, 09:08 AM
Thanks folks, glad it's not just me.

Mowinz
06-29-07, 11:21 AM
And remember in real bad weather and fog to reduce your speed to slow as possible especially when using TC. Your career depends on it!

Cheers