PDA

View Full Version : Pen's SH3 Rant on 'nicknames'

Penelope_Grey
06-26-07, 02:33 PM
Right, this has been sticking in my craw for some time now and I am going to release, so I really really hope people are paying attention to me, cause I am a busy person these days, so, please don't make me repeat myself or else...

torpedo...

sideways...

sun doesn't... and...

shine.

cheers!:rotfl::rotfl:

Right, onto the matters at hand, this business, of calling Unmodded Silent Hunter III "Vanilla" its complete and utter craziness, its rubbish for want of a better term.

Why? Because vanilla, proper vanilla flavourings are some of the most expensive flavourings you can buy! Have any of you ever tried making your own vanilla ice cream? I have and believe me it grieves me when I hear people refer to vanilla as being "plain!" Philistines!! They just don't get it, or appreciate what vanilla truly is.

I presume, that you call unmodded Silent Hunter III "Vanilla" because it is "Plain" well, it is plain, but its NOT vanilla. *deep breath*

Vanilla IS a flavouring. And a very expensive one at that, especially if you get the decent stuff.

Right, while we are on the subject calling Silent Hunter III "stock" now I am guilty of this myself. :oops::-?:D

Stock again is a very flavour and diverse packed thing.

Let it not be said that I don't offer direction for my preachings... what should we call Silent Hunter III, we should call it "base" Silent Hunter III.

Why?

Because its like a Pizza, Silent Hunter III in the box is our base on which to put our topings, the various supermods. Like GWX, Uberboat, WAC and so forth. And if you don't want to put a supermod, there are lots of individual mods that adjust silent hunter III game behaviour like... ok I can't think of any, cause all I uses is GWX for my serious career and Uberboat for when I want a right good laugh and to blast things to bits for a bit of pure shoot em up fun to unwind.

So there we are, SH3 shall henceforth in its unmodded state be referred to as "BASE" if you please.

Silent Hunter III is like Pizza not Ice Cream!

*takes another deep breath and tries to stop eye twitching sporadically.*:damn::damn:

------------------------------------------------------

Hope nobody is offended Im just having a laugh.:rotfl:

But I do think "base" is a better terminology for unmodded SH3 than "vanilla" or "stock":D

bigboywooly
06-26-07, 02:45 PM
Get back to your modded " base " install

:rotfl:

Far too much time on your hands young lady :nope:

Puster Bill
06-26-07, 02:53 PM
Please don't hurt me, but I have no problem with calling unmodified SHIII 'stock'.

One of the definitions of the word 'stock' is just that: Unmodified.

10.the person from whom a given line of descent is derived; the original progenitor.

43.of the common or ordinary type; in common use: a stock argument.

44.banal; commonplace: a stock remark.

The raw material out of which something is made.

3. regularly and widely used or sold; "a standard size"; "a stock item"

As for the use of 'Vanilla', I point you to the 'New Hackers Dictionary':
http://www.ccil.org/jargon/jargon_37.html#SEC44
vanilla /adj./
[from the default flavor of ice cream in the U.S.] Ordinary flavor (http://www.ccil.org/jargon/jargon_21.html#TAG653), standard. When used of food, very often does not mean that the food is flavored with vanilla extract! For example, `vanilla wonton soup' means ordinary wonton soup, as opposed to hot-and-sour wonton soup. Applied to hardware and software, as in "Vanilla Version 7 Unix can't run on a vanilla 11/34." Also used to orthogonalize chip nomenclature; for instance, a 74V00 means what TI calls a 7400, as distinct from a 74LS00, etc. This word differs from canonical (http://www.ccil.org/jargon/jargon_18.html#TAG250) in that the latter means `default', whereas vanilla simply means `ordinary'. For example, when hackers go on a great-wall (http://www.ccil.org/jargon/jargon_22.html#TAG794), hot-and-sour soup is the canonical (http://www.ccil.org/jargon/jargon_18.html#TAG250) soup to get (because that is what most of them usually order) even though it isn't the vanilla (wonton) soup.

In the sense it is used to describe unmodified SHIII, the term 'vanilla' is perfectly appropriate, given the intended audience (ie., mostly geeky males, present company excepted).

XLjedi
06-26-07, 02:56 PM
http://www.xl-logic.com/emoticon/stare.gif

I also wish they'd stop callin em subs... cuz they're nothin like that sandwich.

Penelope_Grey
06-26-07, 03:00 PM
In the sense it is used to describe unmodified SHIII, the term 'vanilla' is perfectly appropriate,

No it isn't.

Because it is a common misconception that the term 'Vanilla' means plain, or ordinary etc etc hence that entry there... sorry sir, I stick to my guns on this one...

The stock one, ok, you can have that. But I am the Vanilla Warrior now... and I will rigorously smite anybody who dareth to call unmodded SH3 'vanilla' henceforth.:rock:

Penelope_Grey
06-26-07, 03:01 PM

Yes true, lady of leisure that's me. :lol:

Puster Bill
06-26-07, 03:05 PM
In the sense it is used to describe unmodified SHIII, the term 'vanilla' is perfectly appropriate,
No it isn't.

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/2238/4016ui.jpg

Yes it is.

FIREWALL
06-26-07, 03:07 PM
Good post Penny :up: It"s about time that got straightened out. :yep:

Btw how did you catch up to me so fast ?

Paajtor
06-26-07, 03:09 PM
http://www.61shap.com/pilots/Paajtor/off_topic_stuff/montypython_yes_no.gif

Penelope_Grey
06-26-07, 03:11 PM
Yes it is.

Under slang yes, vanilla and the word plain are mixed together quite frequently and its wrong, because vanilla is not plain, semalina, that is plain, vanilla is not plain. If you want to speak in slangs, feel free. SH3 is like Pizza and I am digging my heels in on that now.:rock::arrgh!:

XLjedi
06-26-07, 03:14 PM
Instead of vanilla may I suggest the "Robert Matthew Van Winkle SH3 Installation"

KeybdFlyer
06-26-07, 03:14 PM
One double Vanilla for the boy and a bowl of soup made with your stock for me, please.

Puster Bill
06-26-07, 03:19 PM
Yes it is.
Under slang yes, vanilla and the word plain are mixed together quite frequently and its wrong, because vanilla is not plain, semalina, that is plain, vanilla is not plain. If you want to speak in slangs, feel free. SH3 is like Pizza and I am digging my heels in on that now.:rock::arrgh!:

I've never burnt the roof of my mouth on SHIII. Nor is it circular. In fact, the only thing that even slightly resembles pizza is the CD on which it is stored.

Also, the lactose intolerant among us can freely enjoy SHIII.

I can't get SHIII delivered to my door in 30 minutes or less, piping hot.

Oh, and I paid roughly twice what I would normally pay for a pizza (~$10) for SHIII ($19.99).

Pizza and beer go well together. SHIII and beer result in me visiting the place where one of the Monkees stores his gym shorts.

Jimbuna
06-26-07, 03:42 PM

Must be nice to have the spare time ;)

STEED
06-26-07, 04:27 PM
Who gives a fecking toss, not me. :yep: ;) :roll: ;)

robj250
06-26-07, 04:55 PM
I really don't care what Penelope calls them or what Bill calls them, but I disagree with using the "NEW HACKER's DICTIONARY" as I'm not a hacker.

Let's be polically correct and refer to Oxford's or Webster's dictionary for the CORRECT meanings - vanilla is an orchid or a substance obtained from the orchid to flavour ice cream.

As for STOCK, you can do whatever you want with that, there are so many definitions.

Now I'll bow out of the discussions and let's you'all carry on.

The Munster
06-26-07, 05:02 PM

It's cos she's stopped smoking [?] .. blowin off steam stage, glad I'm not gonna be on a merchant that bumps into her at the moment .. base, vanilla or otherwise :rotfl:

Penelope_Grey
06-26-07, 05:30 PM
Discussions?! LOL Rob, its a bit of fun! We were having a laugh, a jovial argument. Don't be a sourpuss.:lol:

Good post Penny :up: It"s about time that got straightened out. :yep:
Glad you approve! LOL:up:

Its lovely, I'm having the time of my life here.:up: even despite this infernal virus I got.

It's cos she's stopped smoking [?] .. blowin off steam stage, glad I'm not gonna be on a merchant that bumps into her at the moment .. base, vanilla or otherwise :rotfl:
I was never really a smoker smoker... I only endulged in smoking on weekends. I was very disciplined with it really, I couldn't particularly afford not to be disciplined. It was a vicious circle for me, I enjoyed a puff be it a menthol cigarette or a cigar, but at the same time I like being so healthy and fit and active. So something had to go. And not my health thats for sure.:up:

But yes, pity the poor merchants their time of sufferance cometh and cometh fast. In fact its already here!;)

And just in case any of you jokers is thinking of raising my ire over this further...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/Penny/vanilla.jpg

So says... The Grey sheWolf!:rotfl::rotfl:

CapZap1970
06-26-07, 05:32 PM
Copy that, Miss Grey!! :o
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
CapZap

FIREWALL
06-26-07, 05:39 PM
I really don't care what Penelope calls them or what Bill calls them, but I disagree with using the "NEW HACKER's DICTIONARY" as I'm not a hacker.

Let's be polically correct and refer to Oxford's or Webster's dictionary for the CORRECT meanings - vanilla is an orchid or a substance obtained from the orchid to flavour ice cream.

As for STOCK, you can do whatever you want with that, there are so many definitions.

Give'm He!! ROB :D I got to admit that icecream cone that Penny showed shure looks tasty.;) I think I'll go get one .:yep:

nikbear
06-26-07, 05:40 PM
Don't argue with stressed ladies,I did that once,and I've been speaking with a high pitched voice ever since:nope: :rotfl: :doh: :88)

FIREWALL
06-26-07, 05:41 PM
Don't argue with stressed ladies,I did that once,and I've been speaking with a high pitched voice ever since:nope: :rotfl: :doh: :88)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Ain't that the truth:up: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kpt. Lehmann
06-26-07, 05:51 PM
FOOD FIGHT!!! :|\\

robj250
06-26-07, 05:52 PM

Give'm He!! ROB :D I got to admit that icecream cone that Penny showed shure looks tasty.;) I think I'll go get one .:yep:

Yeppers, looks mighty tasty to me. :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm going to the store right this minute :smug: :yep:

robj250
06-26-07, 06:13 PM
I wonder if they will ever come out with a flavour called Penelope; after all they did come out with Napolean. :oops: Oops, that's Neopolitan :hmm:

FIREWALL
06-26-07, 06:28 PM
I wonder if they will ever come out with a flavour called Penelope; after all they did come out with Napolean. :oops: Oops, that's Neopolitan :hmm:

OH Brother !!!:rotfl: Here it comes now. I can't hardly wait to see where this goes.:p

robj250
06-26-07, 06:43 PM
My niece got stressed out and moved to Alberta and is now in hotter temperatures than it is here is Port Hardy. :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
06-26-07, 07:08 PM
I vote we follow Penny's advice (command?) and become gastronomically correct (henceforth to be referred to as GC), and only refer to the subject at hand as "Standard, Unmodified Out Of The Box Silent Hunter Three", or SUOOTBSH3 for short.:rotfl:

Puster Bill
06-26-07, 07:21 PM
How about we just call it "Meat and Two Veg" SHIII?

joegrundman
06-26-07, 07:31 PM
That ice-cream cone does NOT look tasty. It's not true vanilla, there are no black dots in it. It is soft instead of firm so it isn't even cream, instead some evil concoction of flour and milk and eggs. Lastly, and most terribly, the cone isn't even conical. It has a flat bottom!

Stay well clear, or better still, sink on sight!

JU_88
06-26-07, 07:38 PM
Vanilla SH3 is very backward I agree :stare: , I've been saying for ages that it should be called 'banoffee fudge pie with hazelnut caramel cookies and cream with mascapone and white chocolate SH3'

But no-one will listen - freaking retards :damn: :damn:

Anyway I dont care because Im too busy with GWX 1.04 mozerella avacardo and sun dried tomato with fresh bazil in a bagel with tuna mayonaise edition.

...and SH4 Wolves of the Mcdonalds - here in London they lurk on every corner, id like to torpedo the lot of them. :rock:

Brag
06-26-07, 08:51 PM
Bernaaaard, tell the cook we will no longer have vanilla in the coffee. Now, where did that Swan come from? Aaaalaaaarm.:huh:

Penelope_Grey
06-27-07, 02:59 AM
I got a vanilla gun here, and I ain't afraid to use it!:arrgh!:

Canovaro
06-27-07, 03:24 AM
SH3 'bare' or 'naked' would do

STEED
06-27-07, 04:26 AM
http://www.fathertedonline.ukf.net/Images/characterpagephotos/jackface.jpg Feck off, Drink, Girls, I love my brick.

Kpt. Lehmann
06-27-07, 05:20 AM
http://www.fathertedonline.ukf.net/Images/characterpagephotos/jackface.jpg Feck off, Drink, Girls, I love my brick.

GOD, I sooooo love the Father Ted show!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Penelope_Grey
06-27-07, 06:28 AM
That is one thing we definately have in common Kap, and you too STEED.

Father Ted is one of the best things I have ever seen, my brother has every ep on DVD we watched em all.:up:

Brag
06-27-07, 06:28 AM
Attention all U-boat Kommanders!

From now on, all communications shall be written in gastronomically correct language. To insure compliance, BDU is issuing Gastroenigma machines. Kommanders are instructed not to confuse these with Gastroenema machines.

Anyone caught using gastroenema language, shall be dealth with without vanilla.

KD

Puster Bill
06-27-07, 06:35 AM
http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/8346/dasboot0233du.jpg

Our grammar-protecting cuties, where are they? Answer that one Herr Goering. The British have plenty of them. Talking big is all he's good for, that fat slob.

kiwi_2005
06-27-07, 06:45 AM
The vanilla is Silent Hunter 3 Noob version. Its a noob version if your playing GWX. SH3 noob or vanilla should be recommended to new players to stick with it for at least 2 months then change over to GWX to many times i see a noob come on first time player asking for help and were all going "Install GWX :rock:" You wont regret it.:rock::rock: Well in his case he will:lol: Hes going to be owned and spitted out like a dummy, all were doing is inviting him to hell on high water way to early.... Let them get the hang of the game then GENTLY ease them into GWX.:yep:

:roll:

Thniper
06-27-07, 06:58 AM
If you really want to find another name for 'vanilla' or 'stock' SH you should use a catchy phrase. Maybe some kind of abbreviation.

The first thing that came into my mind was FISH. You only have to find words for 'F' and 'I'. Well, 'F' may be 'first', so it goes like:

'F'irst 'I'...... 'S'ilent 'H'unter

I couldn't find any word starting with 'I' telling you that it's 'stock' release.

But you can generate an infinite number of words ending with 'SH'.
So, let's start a competition right now.

My contribution is: FLESH

'F'irst 'L'egitimate 'E'dition 'S'ilent 'H'unter

Well, not a very good one I know...;)
What's your contribution, tell us!:D

Thniper

Mush Martin
06-27-07, 07:08 AM
Vanilla Stock Base ................. sounds like were in the Kitchen

Your just such a stodgie old conservative penny Lighten up
subsims are for having a little fun once in a while.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

XLjedi
06-27-07, 07:18 AM
I think 'vanilla' should be referred to as: "Baby SH3"

...or if you'd like an indirect reference for vanilla: "Ice-Ice-Baby SH3" :yep:

I think my previous suggestion: "Robert Matthew Van Winkle SH3" was a tad too long...

danurve
06-27-07, 08:30 AM
http://www.computec.de/mail/cover/PV_Cover2.jpg

Brag
06-27-07, 08:57 AM
The vanilla is Silent Hunter 3 Noob version. Its a noob version if your playing GWX. SH3 noob or vanilla should be recommended to new players to stick with it for at least 2 months then change over to GWX to many times i see a noob come on first time player asking for help and were all going "Install GWX :rock:" You wont regret it.:rock::rock: Well in his case he will:lol: Hes going to be owned and spitted out like a dummy, all were doing is inviting him to hell on high water way to early.... Let them get the hang of the game then GENTLY ease them into GWX.:yep:

:roll:

Kiwi got it right. Noobs should attend the Marineschule, after graduating, attend the, ummmm Vanilla-stock-choose your name pre GWX training module for U-boat commanders. Then go into GWX and play DID. They should also wire a C-3 charge to their computers triggered by the career end screen. Kaboom! How's that for realism? :sunny:

Linton
06-27-07, 09:02 AM
Who gives a fecking toss, not me. :yep: ;) :roll: ;)
BZ that man!!!!!

donw
12-13-07, 04:01 PM
Mein Gott! If I didn't know better, I'd think Sharkstooth has resurfaced! :huh:
Now where did we put that Brig...??? :hmm:

Brag
12-13-07, 05:09 PM
Another succesful Hoochie Woochie raid:

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/images/smiles/wav.gifhttp://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/images/smiles/wav.gif :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Samwolf
12-13-07, 05:29 PM
All your bases are belong to us!

Jimbuna
12-13-07, 05:36 PM
Another necro thread http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img231/1076/shockedvi8.gif

http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img110/1235/zombiexv8.gif http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img110/1235/zombiexv8.gif http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img110/1235/zombiexv8.gif

:lol:

NeonSamurai
12-13-07, 05:52 PM
Time for an ice cream rant :arrgh!:

Now I don't know about the States, but where I am in Canada it is damn hard to find good ice cream at the supermarket any more, and not pay a fortune for it (Hagen Das). Its all rubish now, no more all natural ice cream, just piles and piles of artificial stuff that tastes horrible and slightly slimy on the tongue. Even worse is the frozen yogurt section, which certainly does not taste like yogurt by any stretch of the imagination (they should call it "frozen NOT yogurt") and is closer to a horrible imitation of the horrible imitiation of what they call icecream. As for the sorbet, or gelato section.. Well what section? At best you might see a tub or two of junky sorbet or gelato.

Now a couple of years ago we did have one brand that was all natural and very good, Breyers Black Label ice cream, and best of all it was only a few dollars more expensive then the cheap junk for the same quantity. But then woe apon woe %*$%# Quebon (another milk producer) bought them out, and replaced the black label with what they call "Double Churned" and left it at the same price. Now what is this "Double Churned" stuff? Well what the little bas.. i meen jerks ;) did is take out all the natural stuff, put in all the artificial stuff, then churned the absolute heck out of it. Its actualy worse then the cheapest icecream on the market, and twice the price of it. The funny thing though is anyone who knows how to make icecream knows that you want to churn it only as much as is nessiary and not any more or it destroys the ice cream, double churning it is about the worst thing you can do.

The only good thing about that mess is the ice cream was so bad the supermarkets stoped carrying Breyers Icecream any more, even after the price fell through the floor on it. The Breyers label has been destroyed thanks to Quebon, and I can only hope their little boondoggle has cost them heavily in the wallet for destroying my only brand of good icecream.

So here I am... with no good icecream (or any other type of frozen desert) of any kind available any more for sale here.

You just had to remind me of that fact didn't ya Penelope :p :cry:

Ok rant over :) carry on, carry on, nothing to see her folks <nudges people along with his Subsim truncheon>

Plus since this is a necroed thread I guess I should lock it for good measure unless anyone sees a good reason (a realy realy good reason ;) ) for it to stay open.