PDA

View Full Version : Boxer and Clinton want to "Fix" talk radio?

Yahoshua
06-23-07, 05:49 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/20/radio-report

I hope it doesn't get off the ground, as this would obviously be a breach of free speech.

Sailor Steve
06-23-07, 06:27 PM
Hey, if you can't beat 'em, change the rules.

Heibges
06-24-07, 10:47 PM
Radio is a business, and I think the conservative radio host are much more entertaining than the liberal ones. Most of them come from a performance background, like Rush how was a sports announcer. A liberal intellectual isn't going to compete with someone with that kind of experience. Now give George Carlin his own radio show and you might be in business.

I believe the article said there are 257 Talk Radio stations in the United States out of a total of 12,000 Radio Stations.

So basically 97.5% of America does not listen to talk radio. And that's if any of these stations have a 1% market share which is doubtful since most are AM radio.

If you take Howard Sterns as an example, more liberals probably listen to someone like Rush Limbaugh than conservatives just so they have something to be pissed off.

Getting rid of conservative radio would probably hurt the liberal cause.

U-533
06-25-07, 04:47 AM
So basically 97.5% of America does not listen to talk radio. And that's if any of these stations have a 1% market share which is doubtful since most are AM radio.

If you take Howard Sterns as an example, more liberals probably listen to someone like Rush Limbaugh than conservatives just so they have something to be pissed off.

Getting rid of conservative radio would probably hurt the liberal cause.

I don't know about anywhere else ... but here in Florida almost every person I talk with listens to talk radio...
Mind you... most of these people are age 33 and up have a family and job.

As for the examples of people who don't even realize there is an AM Band ...
Well lets just say they are having trouble holding their pants up with one hand and keeping a job...

Also Talk radio has made a move into the FM side of things... can't say I'm not for that.

What really makes me happy is the fact that Christian radio has began to become popular... I hope this continues... there are some very good and helpful shows on a Christian Radio station...
But just stay away from the ones selling snake oil for all your ills.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Yahoshua
06-25-07, 05:59 AM
(Homer Simpson voice) "Aww....but it's so tasty!"

Tronics
06-25-07, 07:45 AM
Talk Radio?

The only 'talk radio' I cared for was the Walton and Johnson morning show, which I can no longer hear anyways.

I only listen to radio these days while in transit, which is usually rather brief anyways and I usually jump from channel to channel to avoid those nice 10 minute blocks of useless commercials.

I'd say that a larger problem at hand is the fact that Clearchannel Communications 'controls' about 70% of all radiostations in this country...and in sometowns (like Houston & Phoenix) it's glaringly ovbious because they will play the SAME COMMERCIALS at the SAME TIME on DIFFERENT STATIONS...

I think theres only about three stations in Houston that aren't clearchannel stations.

dean_acheson
06-25-07, 08:51 AM
Radio is a business, and I think the conservative radio host are much more entertaining than the liberal ones. Most of them come from a performance background, like Rush how was a sports announcer. A liberal intellectual isn't going to compete with someone with that kind of experience. Now give George Carlin his own radio show and you might be in business.

Um, no.

"A liberal intellectual?" Don't give me that John Stuart Mill dung. I'll stack up Fredrick Von Hayek against Stuart Smalley anyday, and the former will have more listeners. Mainly because 'keep your own stuff' is more popular than 'give your junk away to the government for redistribution for the good of society according to some jacka@* with a degree in P.C. from Georgetown.'

I'm not sure the Carlin is so much a liberal as he is a Whig/Libertarian.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/06/24/feinstein_might_push_for_fairness_doctrine/9684/

SUBMAN1
06-25-07, 09:41 AM
I like how this page calls it a problem! Too funny. I wonder if they should analyze news broadcasts? In their definition, it should also be a problem because its too progressive! :D

-S

dean_acheson
06-25-07, 10:03 AM
Sub,
you know, that is exactly what I thought.

:D

Then I thought about ponies and unicorns and took my heart pills.

Tchocky
06-25-07, 11:14 AM
"A liberal intellectual?" Don't give me that John Stuart Mill dung. I'll stack up Fredrick Von Hayek against Stuart Smalley anyday, and the former will have more listeners. Mainly because 'keep your own stuff' is more popular than 'give your junk away to the government for redistribution for the good of society according to some jacka@* with a degree in P.C. from Georgetown.'

So the only intellectuals are of a conservative bent?

Payoff
06-25-07, 11:25 AM
From what I've heard in my travels, the liberal shows just seem to be more hateful.

kiwi_2005
06-25-07, 11:37 AM
I just love talkback radio over here, i listen to it all the time, one guy who runs it for 8 hrs straight every night is probably the only honest bastard we got in the country im waiting for the day he either is arrested by govenment officals or suddenly disappeared without a trace. But i doubt it he has so many fans including me, He can ruin any future hopeful govenment party member, by digging into their background and brings out all the skeletons:yep: Not well liked by some but us simple folks see him as the Kiwi Robin Hood.

When this guy digs into your profile your garranteed your going down!:yep::arrgh!:

:roll:

SUBMAN1
06-25-07, 11:41 AM
Sub,
you know, that is exactly what I thought.

:D

Then I thought about ponies and unicorns and took my heart pills.

Great minds think alike!

-S

dean_acheson
06-25-07, 11:48 AM

So the only intellectuals are of a conservative bent?

Certainly not. Somebody has to staff the multi-cultural studies department.

Yahoshua
06-27-07, 06:00 PM
*UPDATE*

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/gop-preps-for-talk-radio-confrontation-2007-06-27.html

waste gate
06-27-07, 06:07 PM
Looks like a classic case of 'if you can't win the arguement remove the arguement.

Shameless example, see my post here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=117475