PDA

View Full Version : Are we sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clayp
06-22-07, 08:59 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19354827/wid/11915829?GT1=10056

wetwarev7
06-22-07, 09:13 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19354827/wid/11915829?GT1=10056

(EDIT: Whoops! I was reading a different article about video games :P)

You know, they said the same thing about television.

I personally think that children shouldn't watch tv or play video games till they're all grown up, because fresh air and play and study are much better for them while they are still developing.

Me, I'm 35. I'm allready warped.

SteamWake
06-22-07, 09:41 AM
I think there referring more to the online games such as WoW and Everquest.

I would agree that some people are afflicted with a compulsive addictive disorder when it comes to these games. After all they are designed from the ground up to keep you interested and comming back for more.

As to it being a 'mental' disorder Im not so sure. Its more of a social disorder. Their parents or signifigant other should realized that spending 10 or more hours a day 7 days a week parked behind a CRT leading an 'alternate life' might be a tad troubling and say or do something about it.

bradclark1
06-22-07, 10:35 AM
I would put it side by side with gambling addiction.

wetwarev7
06-22-07, 10:59 AM

I would agree that some people are afflicted with a compulsive addictive disorder when it comes to these games. After all they are designed from the ground up to keep you interested and comming back for more.

As to it being a 'mental' disorder Im not so sure. Its more of a social disorder. Their parents or signifigant other should realized that spending 10 or more hours a day 7 days a week parked behind a CRT leading an 'alternate life' might be a tad troubling and say or do something about it.

I'd have to agree with you, mostly. For one, I think parents should be providing other activities for thier children to participate in. For another I think that with er...non-physically addictive addictions(such as video games as opposed to herion, or nicotine) usually there are socialogical reason why the person is 'escaping', not so much as the activity itself has a physical hold on the person, rather the person has found a way to 'get away from it all'.

HunterICX
06-22-07, 11:36 AM
mmm..most of those teenagers really have issues setting their priorities

they clearly dont care what is going to happen when they are dropping their studdies just to play a silly game that isnt going to get them anywhere

its just a game? its not your life that depends on it or improves.
its ENTERTAINMENT

I'm glad that I spend about 1 or maybe 2 hours on a day during the week to sit back and launch a game.

might be a bit longer in the weekend.

TteFAboB
06-22-07, 12:15 PM
At least the kid in the picture has a friend. Kids with friends will do other things every now and then. Kids with lots of friends have no option but do other things.

If you want to succeed in these MMORPG games you have two options:

1) Play it more than you do anything else. Dedicate your life to it.

2) Buy your way up.

If you can pay 50$-150$ to get your character to the top level, buy all the good stuff and buy the game's currency itself, why bother wasting hours and hours of your life at it when wasting hours and hours of your life to get money will not only get you all those things without the hassle and leave all the other hours free to actually enjoy the stuff but also buy you a better PC, better food, perhaps a swimming pool and even a house of your own?

This is basically what "Second Life" is all about isn't it? You need cash to do or get anything and you may even earn some cash, real or virtual, in the "game".

Imagine that: guy earns money in Second Life to buy his way up in WoW. :88)

Rilder
06-22-07, 12:19 PM
Its not an addiction I can stop any time I want....

... I just don't want to. :rotfl:

Letum
06-22-07, 12:49 PM
I think this answers the question! (LINK) (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d22_1182298161)

SteamWake
06-22-07, 01:50 PM
I think this answers the question! (LINK) (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d22_1182298161)

LOL "How old is that kid ?"

Heres another good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZaOSdmqskw

Heibges
06-22-07, 05:18 PM

I'd have to agree with you, mostly. For one, I think parents should be providing other activities for thier children to participate in. For another I think that with er...non-physically addictive addictions(such as video games as opposed to herion, or nicotine) usually there are socialogical reason why the person is 'escaping', not so much as the activity itself has a physical hold on the person, rather the person has found a way to 'get away from it all'.

If kids receive a rush of adrenaline when playing these games it could be physically addicting. Like the high you get from running.

Also, games are designed to constantly give positive affirmation to the player. Think about games you have played, and think about all the the different ways the game tells you what a superb job you are doing playing it.

Slay a dragon get rewarded with a shiny new sword.

Win the Superbowl get rewarded with an exciting cutscene, the Superbowl Trophy, and the Superbowl win reflected in the stats for your team in upcoming seasons as part of your dynasty record.

Hit the ship with torpedoes watch it explode or slowly sink beneath the waves, or sink bow first, or turn turtle etc etc etc.

Find new armor and see the armor on your character model.

Big letters with messages like "You Win" and "Great Job" splashed across the screen.

Some children probably don't get a compliment from either parent all day, and lucky to get any at school either. Yet they sit down and play a video game for an hour, and are told half a dozen times how good they are.