PDA

View Full Version : Who killed the electric car?

TheBrauerHour
06-18-07, 12:47 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I5Y8FU/ref=wl_it_dp/102-7521563-7124903?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1Z7HGSDE57DSV&colid=3V7MGJANNLSAA

Anyone else seen this? I thought the funeral scene was a bit corny, but otherwise I thought it was a good movie. I didn't know they made an electric car that was that durable/fast/awesome. Seeing it outrun a 350Z made me do a doubletake. Still don't know if I would have bought one if given the opportunity, but I am looking at a hybrid.

Reaves
06-18-07, 01:38 AM
Electric engines can go very fast and can make a car have great top speed and acceleration. The only problem is storing the electricity. Batteries just arn't good enough yet.

TheBrauerHour
06-18-07, 08:51 AM
Perhaps. They said by putting the same batteries you find in laptops, you can increase the range to around 300 miles per charge, with no loss of reliability. They even retrofitted some of the EV-1's with them. Mind you, 90 percent of US drivers average 16 miles per day, which was far less than the 120 mile range it originally had. But for some reason GM wouldn't renew any leases or offer the option to buy. Owners offered a collective 1.4 million dollars to buy their EV-1's from GM, but GM towed them away and had them crushed...kinda wierd.

The Avon Lady
06-18-07, 09:08 AM
GM, along with MIT, have been thinking of downsizing (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/02/mits_stackable.php) for a while now.

Hitman
06-18-07, 09:31 AM
LOL would you believe it? in the link AL posted there's already a brainless asking about the off-road performance of such thing and a 4x4 version :damn: So a car is created to save energy, go clean and aliviate the city traffic as well as the thirst for oil, and the first thing some people think is "Can I go bigger, wasting more energy and damaging more the environment?" :damn:

Nowonder this world is heading for diaster :shifty:

The Avon Lady
06-18-07, 09:37 AM
LOL would you believe it? in the link AL posted there's already a brainless asking about the off-road performance of such thing and a 4x4 version :damn: So a car is created to save energy, go clean and aliviate the city traffic as well as the thirst for oil, and the first thing some people think is "Can I go bigger, wasting more energy and damaging more the environment?" :damn:

Me thinks that post was a weak attempt at humor.

SUBMAN1
06-18-07, 09:52 AM
Well, beating a 350Z is not a big deal (They have no power - the old ones were much faster, especially the Twin turbo 300Z), so that doesn't surprise me, but I have seen some of these electric cars go 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds - faster than any Ferrari.

They never seem to have top end speed though, but that doesn't really matter much in this world unless you like jail time.

I should post some of my future car videos on Google video so you can see what I am talking about.

-S

August
06-18-07, 10:30 AM
We can't just say how great battery operated vehicles would be without first answering these questions:

How long would it take to recharge all those batteries?
Where would these batteries be recharged on a long roadtrip?
How do we dispose of worn out batteries without polluting the environment?

DAB
06-18-07, 10:52 AM
You can add a fourth question to that actually

How does an electric car reduce your carbon footprint if the majority of electrical power in your country is generated from Oil or Coal?

Edit: Put the question mark in the correct place

TheBrauerHour
06-18-07, 11:08 AM
Well, to answer the 4th question:

Electric companies burn fuel more efficiently than any car (or so I have been told), so using the electric car would reduce your carbon footprint, but not eliminate it. Very good point you have though, as some people think by driving electric, they would not be polluting at all. Ed Bagely, on an old episode of MTV Cribs from the mid-90's, showed how he used solar energy and a exercise bike to recharge his EV-1.

As for the long roadtrip question, that was brought up in the documentary, but I am not sure if they really found an answer other than showing some cheap batteries this old couple developed that were supposed to outlast the life of an average car and hold a loooong charge.

I am looking at getting a Toyota Prius. At the end of the video, they show a Prius being plugged into a standard outlet in a garage. After a night of charging, you get 125 mpg for the first 50 miles driving. The modification is cheap. That is impressive. Seeing as how every bit helps, I am all for that.

Hitman
06-18-07, 11:19 AM
How does an electric car reduce your carbon footprint if the majority of electrical power in your country is generated from Oil or Coal?

The major thing renewables can provide is electricity....solar, wind (specially), tides, all that generates electricity. In fact, the main problem for renewables nowadays is that you can't store their output properly and a lot gets lost.

DAB
06-18-07, 11:35 AM
Well, to answer the 4th question:

Electric companies burn fuel more efficiently than any car (or so I have been told), so using the electric car would reduce your carbon footprint, but not eliminate it. Very good point you have though, as some people think by driving electric, they would not be polluting at all. Ed Bagely, on an old episode of MTV Cribs from the mid-90's, showed how he used solar energy and a exercise bike to recharge his EV-1.

I learn something every day!

Re: Hitman

I do see your point about electrical power coming from renewable sources. But surely if we all start using electrical cars, the demand for electric power would be overwhelming (just look at how much our demand for electricity has gone up as PC's become household items). Is there actually enough space for the extra power stations required to supply that demand?

Hitman
06-18-07, 12:07 PM
I do see your point about electrical power coming from renewable sources. But surely if we all start using electrical cars, the demand for electric power would be overwhelming (just look at how much our demand for electricity has gone up as PC's become household items). Is there actually enough space for the extra power stations required to supply that demand?

No, but since the oil will run out soon and the crash is unavoidable, it would help avoiding the final anarchy :hmm: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Deamon
06-18-07, 12:25 PM
No, but since the oil will run out soon and the crash is unavoidable
You still belief this ?

I'm wondering have you read this ?

http://www.vialls.com/wecontrolamerica/peakoil.html

And hey what about cars that are fueld with water ?

Hitman
06-18-07, 02:47 PM
Yes I read it, it's simply nonesense and against the opinion of the most reputated geologists. And anyway, the slow recovery rate still doesn't solve the problem of a constant growth in demand.

I don't think that a chaos like described in that web will happen, yet it is of course evident that a huge economic crisis will come and adaptation and dramatic changes in many habits will be needed. This will be the ruin for many of the middle class, and will empowerish many countries, though not more than they have suffered already before (The crack of 1929 f.e.). Look at what happened in Argentina some years ago....something like that is what we can expect.:hmm:

Deamon
06-18-07, 03:01 PM
Yes I read it, it's simply nonesense and against the opinion of the most reputated geologists. You mean the author is lying ?

Frankly especially after seeing that man made global warming scam and other scams, nothing surprizes me anymore. I don't believe blindly anymore in what sciantists say after relizing how corrupt or missleaded they can be or how much cover up is made with certain truths.

In any generation many world end cenarios are fabricated. Some people seem to make their living with it.

And anyway, the slow recovery rate still doesn't solve the problem of a constant growth in demand.
If it's true what the author says then just drill more holes.

Look at what happened in Argentina some years ago....something like that is what we can expect.:hmm: What happened there ?

The cover up and suppression of certain technology is the big problem. Technologies that would easily solve the energy problem.

P_Funk
06-18-07, 03:10 PM
Frankly especially after seeing that man made global warming scam and other scams, nothing surprizes me anymore. I don't believe blindly anymore in what sciantists say after relizing how corrupt or missleaded they can be or how much cover up is made with certain truths.
You're actually comparing a finite resource scarcety to global warming?

Tchocky
06-18-07, 03:12 PM
Scientists are just in it for the money, they want gold-plated beakers and diamond-studded Bunsen burners.

Deamon
06-18-07, 03:37 PM
Scientists are just in it for the money, they want gold-plated beakers and diamond-studded Bunsen burners.
No all but the situation is worse enough to always look very close and triple check before you can believe something. Especially generally accepted views like the global warming scam, since this are amongst the most corrupted and silliest sometimes. Or back in the days as the world was supposed to be flat. Were this not sciantists too ?

And today there are dogmas in the sciance too as it was back then. When you question certain things you get attacked and discredited.

Deamon
06-18-07, 03:39 PM
Frankly especially after seeing that man made global warming scam and other scams, nothing surprizes me anymore. I don't believe blindly anymore in what sciantists say after relizing how corrupt or missleaded they can be or how much cover up is made with certain truths. You're actually comparing a finite resource scarcety to global warming?
My point was that it's maybe not that scarce if the link i posted gives correct informations.

August
06-18-07, 03:42 PM

Except that they seem to keep finding more of this finite, soon to run out, resource:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6764549.stm

U-533
06-18-07, 03:49 PM
Electric cars...:hmm:

It's good if you live in the city...

Just go to work plug your car in ...it charges while you work.

Then go home and plug your car in it charges while you sleep.

BUT

What happens when to wish to travel to your Grandma's house and there are no outlets to plug in to along the way?

I have to agree with TheBrauerHour

Hybrids are what Im lookin' at.

Tchocky
06-18-07, 03:51 PM
Except that they seem to keep finding more of this finite, soon to run out, resource:

Woo! If that's economically recoverable, we get another week!

U-533
06-18-07, 04:00 PM

Woo! If that's economically recoverable, we get another week!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

another week:rotfl: :rotfl:

Maybe 5 work days:rotfl: :rotfl:

Deamon
06-18-07, 04:08 PM

Yeah. I think the thesis of the oil crisis is mainly advocated by western countries while russia for example keeps to find huge oil reservoirs.

P_Funk
06-18-07, 04:13 PM

600 million barrels did they say? I was just reading about how the US administration expected that once they had taken control of Iraq that the national oil export would reach 5 million barrels of oil a day.

That ain't much.

TheBrauerHour
06-18-07, 04:14 PM

BUT

What happens when to wish to travel to your Grandma's house and there are no outlets to plug in to along the way?

My word, have you not heard? There is only one approved method for traveling to Grandmas house.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/ernstjuenger321/0823404706_01_LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Seriously, if your grandma lives within 300 miles, just drive there, and plug into the outlet on the side of the house. Greater than 300 miles, then rent a car.

August
06-18-07, 04:20 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6764549.stm 600 million barrels did they say? I was just reading about how the US administration expected that once they had taken control of Iraq that the national oil export would reach 5 million barrels of oil a day.

That ain't much.

Never said it was but yet they seem to keep finding it don't they?. 30 years ago it was estimated that there was only 40 years of oil left. Today the estimate is that there is still 40 years of oil left. Somebody must be lying...

Deamon
06-18-07, 04:30 PM
Seriously, if your grandma lives within 300 miles, just drive there, and plug into the outlet on the side of the house. Greater than 300 miles, then rent a car. Electricity can be gained from the ether infinitely. This was been invented long ago but never made it mainsteem. We would have never need nuclear plants. Also wind and solar energy is total obsolet.

Seriously electrocars is a lame and totally obsolet technology. Technology for antigravity propulsions exist since more than 100 years i think. But don't try to introduce such technologies unless you want to put your life in jeopardy. :yep:

BTW: There are also engines running on nothing but on water.

Deamon
06-18-07, 04:32 PM
Never said it was but yet they seem to keep finding it don't they?. 30 years ago it was estimated that there was only 40 years of oil left. Today the estimate is that there is still 40 years of oil left. Somebody must be lying... That's my point. Before they pump it dry they find several times more of it.

I lived with all this fears once too but i feel very releived now after recent debunks of world end scenarios and i realize that such scenarios are fabricated in any generation. Seems to be some sort of sport to scare people. We aren't that educated as we believe nor are sciantists.

August
06-18-07, 04:46 PM
Seems to be some sort of sport to scare people.

Not sport, crowd control.

Tchocky
06-18-07, 04:53 PM
Never said it was but yet they seem to keep finding it don't they?. 30 years ago it was estimated that there was only 40 years of oil left. Today the estimate is that there is still 40 years of oil left. Somebody must be lying...
Yeah, someone's definitely lying.

There's not been any advancement in geology or resource detection in the last 30 years. No way. Lying it is

Deamon
06-18-07, 04:57 PM
Seems to be some sort of sport to scare people.
Not sport, crowd control.
Ah right. Crowd control sport.:lol:

d@rk51d3
06-18-07, 06:22 PM
Electricity can be gained from the ether infinitely. This was been invented long ago but never made it mainsteem. We would have never need nuclear plants. Also wind and solar energy is total obsolet.

It would be sweet to get a look at Tesla's works, but I guess that'll never happen any time soon.

And with the cars running on water - my wife's uncle was/is part of a "scientist guild" and were/are developing these things, along with hydrogen and some forms of indefinitely running "motors". Then the vans turn up, the armed men get out, take all their gear, make a few threats and leave. Most of them now live in hiding.

U-533
06-20-07, 04:53 AM
Electricity can be gained from the ether infinitely. This was been invented long ago but never made it mainsteem. We would have never need nuclear plants. Also wind and solar energy is total obsolet.

It would be sweet to get a look at Tesla's works, but I guess that'll never happen any time soon.

And with the cars running on water - my wife's uncle was/is part of a "scientist guild" and were/are developing these things, along with hydrogen and some forms of indefinitely running "motors". Then the vans turn up, the armed men get out, take all their gear, make a few threats and leave. Most of them now live in hiding.

The only problem with cars that run on water is... Water is aready in short supply

According to most ECOpeople.

P_Funk
06-20-07, 05:30 AM
The only problem with cars that run on water is... Water is aready in short supply

That depends on what kind of water you're talking about. Clean drinking water is a limited resource. Luckily enough Canada has the largest fresh water reserves in the world I believe. That means that when Oil is gone and water is the fuel of the world CANADA WILL BE THE BULLIES! :rotfl: *holds for shocked intakes of breath*

But seriously for other things sea water can be used. The production of so called heavy water is acheived with sea water I believe. I don't know what the water cars run on but I would hope it isn't some premium grade of water that requires a lengthy and energy demanding refinement process.:p

Heibges
06-21-07, 03:40 PM

BUT

They had charging stations in many places in Southern California when electric cars first came out. Car Company groups lobbied hard not to get them installed. But Car/Tire companies have had a disatrous effect on transportation in California so this really isn't a surprise.

But you would need 20k to 30k of these stations to make is feasible nation wide.

I think the only real answer is to get peoples' obese disgusting butts out of their cars, and get them on buses and trains.

FIREWALL
06-26-07, 02:15 AM
GM, along with MIT, have been thinking of downsizing (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/02/mits_stackable.php) for a while now.

Where do you put the skate key in to wind it up ?:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Or do you buy two of them to wear like tennis shoes. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

FIREWALL
06-26-07, 02:36 AM

That depends on what kind of water you're talking about. Clean drinking water is a limited resource. Luckily enough Canada has the largest fresh water reserves in the world I believe. That means that when Oil is gone and water is the fuel of the world CANADA WILL BE THE BULLIES! :rotfl: *holds for shocked intakes of breath*

But seriously for other things sea water can be used. The production of so called heavy water is acheived with sea water I believe. I don't know what the water cars run on but I would hope it isn't some premium grade of water that requires a lengthy and energy demanding refinement process.:p

We will just slant drill on our side of the border and take all your water..:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: