PDA

View Full Version : Help with Manual TDC, Charting intercept and Real Nav!

Icekiller
06-17-07, 08:20 PM
Kind of a long list. I'm really interested in all the 100% realism mods and options that are out there for this game, but every time I download them they come with frecking books you have to read in order to understand what the heck your supposed to be doing. I've read "The Hunt" Wazzos stuff but the problem is i can't read that AND put into practise at the same time. Can anyone out there just lay it out in plan english for me?

joegrundman
06-17-07, 09:04 PM
the thing to do is to break the problem down into manageable chunks. While learning how to do fast 90 targetting (which is very important as a stepping stone to understanding how the TDC works) keep the weapons officer help option enabled.

This way you can compare your estimates with his.

Also, take notes from the page you are reading for use in the game, like you did/do at school!

Wazoo's page is only one of the most basic forms of getting your data, there are lots more out there!

Icekiller
06-17-07, 09:21 PM
Thanks but a lot of the time i don't understand what there talking about. Like in Real Nav, how am i supposed to read and take in all that stuff, even with notes thats like a 400 page dissertation!!!!!

Hondo314
06-17-07, 10:17 PM
Thanks but a lot of the time i don't understand what there talking about. Like in Real Nav, how am i supposed to read and take in all that stuff, even with notes thats like a 400 page dissertation!!!!!

I would save real navigation until the end of the list of things you want to accomplish because it seems like the most involved. I haven't attempted it yet, but I'm considering it now that manual TDC is fairly familiar.

Icekiller
06-17-07, 10:40 PM
But i feel like im cheating the game by not playing it to its fullest.

Hadrys
06-18-07, 04:30 AM

First try as mentioned 90° targeting as most effective (with impact triggers). It gives lots of new ideas. You'll know your targets ~range just after one look through the scope...

Nav is very simple, draw your course, check its angle, set your speed and note the time. After exact time make turn to new plotted course. Only thing to check is if you're not drifting off course and your speed doesn't drop in rough seas. In storm it can give serious errors. Check my real nav thread for more details.

Hitman
06-18-07, 09:40 AM
But i feel like im cheating the game by not playing it to its fullest.

Hummm well, since for commanding an U-Boot you would have gone through the naval academy and U-Boot school, I think it is fair you do at least a quick crash-course to catch up with all you did not study before buying the game, don't you think so? :D

Follow the advices you have received: Start by manual targeting using 90º angles and let the other things come slowly as you progress

Patience little Grasshoper....that's the key to success :up:

Icekiller
06-18-07, 03:00 PM
I just pulled up and tried wazzos fast 90 thing on my laptop so i could do both at the same time and that was the most satisfiying kill ever:rock: Of course i did it in the torpedo training mission but you gotta take whatever you can get.

XLjedi
06-18-07, 03:36 PM
Fast 90 is just plain fun!

I'm still looking for a fast-90 method for SH4. Alas, it seems US scopes are not attached to the gyro...

Oh, one other thing to keep in mind for SH3... if you have accurate AoB and speed, distance doesn't matter. 90% of the time, merchants are plodding along at 6-7kts, that only leaves you to concentrate on AoB!

ichso
06-18-07, 03:46 PM
Quote from myself, so I don't have to type it again :D

You can easily adapt this [fast 90] method, e.g. if the target will have you starboards (if this is the RIGHT side, just know the german names) and you can turn 10° to the right and wait for the target to get into you 350° line. Analog if you approach the ship from the other side. This little adaption will reduce your gyro angle. How many °'s you need to turn to get a 0° gyro mainly depends on the target's speed.

Worked well for me many times. And getting a low gyro angle is a good thing.

XLjedi
06-18-07, 03:50 PM
Quote from myself, so I don't have to type it again :D

You can easily adapt this [fast 90] method, e.g. if the target will have you starboards (if this is the RIGHT side, just know the german names) and you can turn 10° to the right and wait for the target to get into you 350° line. Analog if you approach the ship from the other side. This little adaption will reduce your gyro angle. How many °'s you need to turn to get a 0° gyro mainly depends on the target's speed.

Worked well for me many times. And getting a low gyro angle is a good thing.

I believe in Wazoo's manual he refers to that as "Advanced Fast 90"

Icekiller
06-19-07, 06:20 PM
Yeah thats right