PDA

View Full Version : MOrse code sound

Snakeeyes
06-17-07, 06:07 PM
Does anyone know the name of the sound file of the morse code when their is a new message coming in? Like to make it my text message ring tone.

_Seth_
06-17-07, 07:11 PM
Look in the folder: SilentHunterIII\data\Sound\Speech\1

Look for the file:

RaM_K_New_message_received

or

RaM_P_New_message_received

or the others... (slight different)

Brag
06-17-07, 07:41 PM
Ya gotta be nutz to want to hear it off game :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sawdust
06-17-07, 09:18 PM
I don't think I've ever heard this sound played! :cry:

danurve
06-17-07, 09:19 PM
If you can use an ogg file then clip the morse code part off the new radio msg received file I made.
http://mysh3.info/sh3downloads.html

GoldenRivet
06-18-07, 03:57 AM
I don't think I've ever heard this sound played! :cry:

its not in stock - you have to have GWX or download the file and put it in your speech folder (i think thats the right folder)

Puster Bill
06-18-07, 08:17 AM
It isn't really that good of a message indicator. It's too slow, has too much static, and generally doesn't 'feel' like what a professional would send. Sounds more like a novice ham radio operator using computer generated Morse.

It certainly doesn't sound like it's being sent with a straight key, which is how it would have been sent.

Hitman
06-18-07, 08:37 AM
Bill I saw in some pictures from your wiz wheels that you have a radio transmitter at home. If you are a radio aficionado could you do a new sound that looks correct, so that someone can convert it? I can writeyou the german text lettering to make it accurate enough. :hmm:

Puster Bill
06-18-07, 11:05 AM
Bill I saw in some pictures from your wiz wheels that you have a radio transmitter at home. If you are a radio aficionado could you do a new sound that looks correct, so that someone can convert it? I can writeyou the german text lettering to make it accurate enough. :hmm:

I could, with a couple of caveats:

First, I can transmit the sidetone of the radio (what you hear in the headphones), but it won't have any static. I can record it, and perhaps record some read static, and someone could mix them together.

Secondly, I don't think I have any software that will convert it to .ogg format. That might not be hard to do (is there any free software that will do it?).

Probably the best way to do it is to find out what the 'preamble' of a properly formatted KM u-bootwaffe message would look like. A preamble is a line that tells what message number it is, how many groups it contains, a precidence indicator that tells how important it is, and a date/time group(s). A generic preamble might look like this (assumes English):

MSG NR 101 GR 34 H 0618 1156 BT

Which would be "Message Number 101, which contains 34 groups, has a 'H'igh precidence, and was transmitted on June 18th at 11:56"

I haven't found a good example of a KM preamble yet.

Puster Bill
06-19-07, 09:53 AM
Just to make it clear, I am interested in doing this, I just want to do it RIGHT.

If you want a test file Hitman, let me know and I will record one for you.

kurtz
06-19-07, 09:58 AM
Don't forget the enigma coding:)

Puster Bill
06-19-07, 10:26 AM
Don't forget the enigma coding:)

I've often wondered what would have happened if the KM, or even just BdU, dropped the Enigma in favor of a more secure system. They could have gone to One Time Pads (OTP), and have had perfectly secure communications. That would have eliminated much of the utility of Hunter Killer groups later in the war, because while HF/DF and traffic analysis can give you some good information, it isn't the gold standard of actually reading the other guy's mail.

A perfect example would be the capture of U-505: We knew where they were headed because we read the messages back and forth between Lange and BdU, so we placed a Task Force in the area. If all we had was HF/DF, we could say that 'a signal consistent with U-boat communications originated at lat/lon xxx/yyy on frequency zzzz KC at (date and time)'. That isn't necessarily enough to task naval units to the area, because unless you have some already in the general area, the u-boat will be gone before you get there.

However, if you can read the messages, you find out that that particular boat is heading home, and is at position xxx/yyy, and given what you know about it's home port, and it's cruising speed, you can put assets in the area it is likely to be in at some future point.

You could *TRY* to do that using HF/DF and Radio Fingerprinting, as well as recognition by the intercept operator of the particular 'fist' of the radio operator on the u-boat, but it isn't going to give you anywhere near as good information, for several reasons.

First, past behavior is does not necessarily predict future. A u-boat heading North from the South Atlantic might get new orders to head West and attack the Caribbean and American coastline, while you are sitting West of Gibralter waiting for him to come by.

Second, radio fingerprinting is imperfect: Replacing the parts of a radio, especially things like tubes and capacitors, will change the 'signature' of the radio. This can be done inadvertently due to regular maintenance, or on purpose to fool RFP techniques.

Third, while I can testify personally that every operator who has ever pounded brass has a distinct 'fist', some are more distinct than others. There would probably not be enough traffic for an individual operator to build up a good comprehensive mental map of the different enemy operators. That only happens by repeated copying of a particular small group of enemy operators.

No, I'm not bored. Why?

Hitman
06-22-07, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry I forgot about this thread here :oops:

Sadly I can't help in providing the details you ask for Bill, though I can try to find an ogg converter :hmm: I know some are available around in the internet....

First, I can transmit the sidetone of the radio (what you hear in the headphones), but it won't have any static. I can record it, and perhaps record some read static, and someone could mix them together.

Sorry I don't understand that....what is a static and what is a sidetone? :oops:

I think I know someone who could do a good mix, anyway :D

bigboywooly
06-22-07, 05:01 PM

I have ALAAAAAARM as a message ringtone
:rotfl:
Causes a stir depending where you are when you get a message

Puster Bill
06-22-07, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry I forgot about this thread here :oops:

Sadly I can't help in providing the details you ask for Bill, though I can try to find an ogg converter :hmm: I know some are available around in the internet....

Sorry I don't understand that....what is a static and what is a sidetone? :oops:

I think I know someone who could do a good mix, anyway :D
OK, static is the white noise you hear on a radio when there isn't a station there. Tune an AM or FM radio to a part on the dial where there is no station. That is 'static'.

The 'sidetone' on a radio transmitter is simply a tone that is activated whenever you press the key down. It lets you monitor what your Morse sounds like. Sending Morse without a sidetone is possible, but like a deaf person trying to speak it is harder to tell when you make a mistake.

If you want to know what the sidetone on my radio sounds like, here is a little movie I posted over in this SHIV thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=117155) that shows my fingers, and my key. I'm sending using just the sidetone, no signal is going over the air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHM9kWSvGIs

This is what I am sending:

"CQ CQ CQ DE N2KMF N2KMF N2KMF VVV SEE I TOLD YOU SO HI HI"

Note the lack of any static. When receiving a real signal, there would be static unless conditions were unusually quiet and the signal was unusually strong.

I'll do a little more research. Perhaps someone at NSA or GCHQ can help.

Puster Bill
06-22-07, 08:05 PM
OK, I just sent e-mails to both the Press Office at GCHQ and to the history department at the NSA. If anyone has records about what a typical BdU message would look like, they would.

Cross your fingers, but not too tightly. I suspect that any records they would have retained are translated decrypts stripped of things like preambles and any indicators.

Hitman
06-23-07, 02:18 AM
Cool :up:

We could anyway do with a probable initial call, if necessary...would be better than anything. :hmm:

Puster Bill
06-23-07, 08:57 AM
Cool :up:

We could anyway do with a probable initial call, if necessary...would be better than anything. :hmm:

I used to be 'in the business' as they say*. Unfortunately, just about everyone I know has retired (it's been 18 years since I left the Army). If this turns out to be a dead end, I have a couple of other routes I can try.

*US Army 05H Electronic Warfare Signals Intelligence Morse Interceptor from 1985 to 1989.

ReM
06-23-07, 10:18 AM

Sounds very cool; could you tell me where to find it in data/sounds?

Thanks

Edit:

Nevermind: I already found it...

Mush Martin
06-23-07, 05:07 PM
Come to think of it, it wouldnt be a bad ringtone

Puster Bill
06-23-07, 08:45 PM
OK, I *MIGHT* have a possible answer. At this website:
http://www.codesandciphers.org.uk/enigmafilm/efilm05.htm
There are some 'short signal' u-boat enigma messages created by Tony Sale, a Bletchley Park veteran, for the movie 'Enigma' (a very good movie, by the way).

They are reconstructed as they would have been transmitted from the intercept station at Scarborough and then teleprinted to Bletchley.

Here is an example:

SC28/04/43 1335 7534 A406
JKT 1310/28/04/43 BZKN YRIY AUBD KFRJ EMBR DC.......RHO

The first line is the information from Scarborough.

SC stands for Scarborough, obviously, with a date after it (April 28th, 1943), and the time (13:35 GMT), the frequency (7534 KHz), and possibly the shift and operator ('A' shift or 'trick', intercept operator #406).

Then we have the actual preamble, which would be JKT (perhaps the addressee), the time the message was originated (13:10), and the date.

We then get to the 'meat' of the message, which consists of five and a half groups.

There is then a series of periods (I'd call them 'dits', but not to be confused with actual Morse 'dits') probably added by the intercept operator or the analysts at Scarborough to separate the last three letters, which I assume is the callsign of the originating station (just as the JKT was the callsign of the intended receipient).

Remember, this is a short signal of the type transmitted by u-boats back to BdU, so we can't automatically assume a message from BdU to the boats would look the same, but the preamble is probably pretty close. I'd like to get a confirmation from someone who actually knows before I go ahead and do it.

On edit:
I was wrong, the 'JKT' at the beginning of the message is an enciphered indicator telling the receiving operator where to set the wheels of the Enigma to decipher the message. The operator would pick a three letter message key, say "WFQ", then encipher the message. He would then look up the settings for the day in his signal books, and encipher WFQ using the standard settings. In this example, it comes out as "JKT" which is added to the beginning of the message. When the receiving operator gets the message, he sets his machine up with the standard setting for the day, then types in JKT. That gives him WFQ. He then sets the wheels to WFQ, and decodes the rest of the message.

joegrundman
06-24-07, 09:07 PM
at the bottom of this wikipedia page, there's a bunch of enigma simulators. it would be pretty cool if you could incorporate one into the radioroom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_machine

Snakeeyes
06-25-07, 11:05 AM
Sounds very cool; could you tell me where to find it in data/sounds?

Thanks

Edit:

Nevermind: I already found it...

I got mine directly through Das Boot.

Hadrys
06-27-07, 03:27 AM
If U guys manage to reproduce original signal I might even like it, right now I've just removed all the beeping. Can't stand it when messages come like craze every 30 minutes to inform about some BS... Also can't change TC when messages come and need to increase it all the time.

What I try to say is that probably messages require rewriting. To much, to often infos about troops progress at the other end of the world, very few infos from other Boote, during some patrols I receive nearly no messages, now I was trying to help sink Hood (Mai 1941)... message every 30 minutes (it's boiling inside of me) and not a single ship in sight. From those messages It looked like all forces are in one pool.

That would be great to hear (professional) beeping, rush to Funksraum and read that U-107 coming to base in one peace, U-46 has a diesel failure, just some dispatches to other boats and screw those guys in Tobruk or Luftwaffe shooting a plane or sinking 2000 tons... who cares? This is Kriegesmarine!

PS just surfaced to receive 10 messages every 2 minutes :damn:

Puster Bill
06-27-07, 06:45 AM
You know, if you play at 1x you don't have to worry about messages dropping you out of TC :lol:

As an update, I haven't heard back from either the NSA or GCHQ yet. I'm going to give them a full week (which would put us to Friday or Monday), then I will try a few other possible resources.

Hitman
06-27-07, 07:04 AM
Also can't change TC when messages come and need to increase it all the time.

Go to "My Documents/SH3/Data/Cfg" and open Main.cfg with notepad. Look for this section:

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=128
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=256AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=1
Particles=8
PrayState=128
HunterState=128
3DRender=32
Maximum=256

Changing radio report to your max TC setting (The last line, 256 in this case for my personal customized file because I play careers only in the North Sea, the Mediterranean and the Black Sea) should have the game stay at the TC you set when a message comes in:up: and anything above the Soundeffects TC rate will not allow you to hear the signal.

Hadrys
06-27-07, 07:23 AM
Changing radio report to your max TC setting (The last line, 256 in this case for my personal customized file because I play careers only in the North Sea, the Mediterranean and the Black Sea) should have the game stay at the TC you set when a message comes in:up: and anything above the Soundeffects TC rate will not allow you to hear the signal.

Thx but this is the problem... I've customized TC with SH3Cmd but this setting doesn't work, always TC drops to x1 and "Neue Funk...". I'll just replace msg with stock file for now, I'm to tired of pressing ++++ when transfering to Arctica for example.

Puster Bill
06-29-07, 03:02 PM
OK, I got an answer from the NSA historian. Here are the important bits:

The Center for Cryptologic History does not have any raw intercepts of U-Boat messages in its possession. Nor does it have any guide to U-Boat message formats. There is a good possibility that such material resides at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. There are two records groups where such material might be found: RG 457, The Records of the National Security Agency/Central Security Service, Entry 9032, "Historical Cryptographic Collection." In this collection there are about 12-15 boxes of material dealing with the U-Boat problem. Anothee place may be in RG 38, Records of the Chief of Naval Operations, Commander Naval Security Group. There are several collections within this record group, notably the mistitled "Translations", Entry 1040, which has severl aboxes of material on the U-Boats, some of which are translations, but many boxes hold other material related to the U-Boat problem.

If anyone lives in the area and is familiar with digging around in the National Archives, it would be a greatly appreciated if they could take a look at what is in there.

I haven't heard back from GCHQ yet. I have a couple other avenues I am considering. I'll keep you updated.

Puster Bill
06-22-11, 09:11 AM
OK, I know this thread is essentially dead, but I did manage to put a couple of simulated u-boat signals up on my youtube page:

U-boat Short Signal:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PusterBill#p/a/u/1/BxISYBvCbkc

U-boat Enigma signal:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PusterBill#p/a/u/2/GEXR-OEuBdk

If someone wants to use either for SHIII or SH-whatever, go ahead.

Herr-Berbunch
06-22-11, 09:18 AM
I've often wondered what would have happened if the KM, or even just BdU, dropped the Enigma in favor of a more secure system.

Because they believed in it's security, even when they thought it had been compromised. :nope:

Along the same lines as most of the XX agents used, the German handlers didn't want their project to fail, so passed on the given information fully willing it to be totally true.

Fish In The Water
06-22-11, 01:37 PM
Along the same lines as most of the XX agents used, the German handlers didn't want their project to fail, so passed on the given information fully willing it to be totally true.

A heavy price to pay for the sake of self interest...

Reminds me of an old saying regarding the scientific establishment and their tendency to defend the status quo long after the quo has lost its status. :nope:

f4wildweasel
07-01-11, 08:59 PM
on my old phone, I had my SMS alert the funkspruch (the last 5 seconds of it, so you just hear a bit of beeping and then the phrase), a sonar ping for e-mail, and the "ALARM" as my alarm clock. The alarm clock setting lasted two days before I had to change it back... Though once I set it for 3:45 A.M. and hid my phone in my roommates room behind his headboard.

Though I've been too lazy to re-extract the files for my new phone... Maybe I should get around to doing that...