PDA

View Full Version : GWX - error with Large Tanker draft?

Redshirt
06-17-07, 08:14 AM
Was just flipping though the ship ID's looking up the draft for a large tanker to get the running depth for my magnetic pistols, but its listed as 40.7m which is way off the scale :doh:

anyone got any other insight into what the actual draft is? (currently using GWX 1.03)

thankies! :D

Boris
06-17-07, 08:43 AM
Not answering your question at all... but just a general thought... Why is the draft shown at all? Isn't the draft dependant on how laden the ship is... meaning its going to be different all the time? Just one of those things I've had in the back of my mind since day one, but ignored it in favour of keel shots.

bigboywooly
06-17-07, 08:52 AM
Odd
Mine has 10.7m in

Thniper
06-17-07, 09:15 AM
Hmm, very strange indeed!:hmm:
I got 10,7 m and this is what it used to be.

Maybe you have some other mods running that corrupt GWX?

Swooth
06-17-07, 11:37 AM
Sure you aren't mistaking the 1 for a 4, or you have some spot on your monitor after you spat out the coffee because you were being strafed by planes while reading the morning newspaper?:hmm:

Morts
06-17-07, 11:46 AM
ive had the same "bug" so i dont think he has mistaken 1 for a 4 or anything

Brag
06-17-07, 11:52 AM
Redshirt, welcome aboard!

I'm off-game, but 10 something is about the right draft for a large tanker. Set you torp for 12 meters if you want to kill by keeling.

A 40 meter draft vessel project is on Churchill's desk waiting aproval. Royal navy wants to use it for bonking U-boats sitting on the bottom :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sebbe02
06-17-07, 11:55 AM
Redshirt, welcome aboard!

I'm off-game, but 10 something is about the right draft for a large tanker. Set you torp for 12 meters if you want to kill by keeling.

A 40 meter draft vessel project is on Churchill's desk waiting aproval. Royal navy wants to use it for bonking U-boats sitting on the bottom :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

...with the extra advantage that it will never have to fear a keel shot.:D

Redshirt
06-17-07, 04:21 PM
Hmm, very strange indeed!:hmm:
I got 10,7 m and this is what it used to be.

Maybe you have some other mods running that corrupt GWX?

Nope only had the game a week - installed it did some reading on the net about general/basic tactics before getting started found GWX installed - have never played vanilla :know: (im a bit of a realism nut)

ive had the same "bug" so i dont think he has mistaken 1 for a 4 or anything

is there cfg file or some such I can "tweak" to fix the glitch in the matrix? :hmm:

bigboywooly
06-17-07, 04:28 PM
Have a look in

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Sea\NOTMs_

Look in the cfg and NOTMs__en (museum files )

Change the draft to 10.7 if its different

Sailor Steve
06-17-07, 04:31 PM
Not answering your question at all... but just a general thought... Why is the draft shown at all? Isn't the draft dependant on how laden the ship is... meaning its going to be different all the time? Just one of those things I've had in the back of my mind since day one, but ignored it in favour of keel shots.
Yes, the draft actually changes with the number of men onboard, or the amount of food for the crew. The best that can be done, even in real life, is to list the draft at standard load, which is the painted waterline. It really won't change more than a couple of feet anyway, even with an empty ship.

Redshirt
06-17-07, 05:06 PM
Have a look in

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Sea\NOTMs_

Look in the cfg and NOTMs__en (museum files )

Change the draft to 10.7 if its different

Cheers, I'll take a look at that when I get home from work. :cool:

The only thing I have seen change the Draft on a ship type in game is the amount of water she has taken on board before sinking :rotfl:

However for something like a large tanker I would imagine there would be quite a large difference between empty draft and loaded draft? Or do they use water as ballast when empty(not carrying fuel)?

johnno74
06-17-07, 05:33 PM
However for something like a large tanker I would imagine there would be quite a large difference between empty draft and loaded draft? Or do they use water as ballast when empty(not carrying fuel)?

Yes, exactly right. without any balast they would not be stable and would most likely capsise with the slightest ripple.

Boris
06-17-07, 07:41 PM
http://www.gonomad.com/transports/0011/images/Freighter.jpg

Still... with freighters theres obviously a massive difference between laden and empty. Looks like a couple of meters on this one...

Redshirt
06-18-07, 07:23 AM
hmm no luck with the cfg files, odd :down:

Ah well no biggie :D Just have to remmber its 10.7 not 40.7 :doh:

deamyont
06-18-07, 09:40 AM

Still... with freighters theres obviously a massive difference between laden and empty. Looks like a couple of meters on this one...

Seen pictures of Jahre Viking loaded and empty? Its like 10 meters difference :88)

bigboywooly
06-18-07, 09:47 AM

Look in the same Sea folder but at the NLTMS

The lit tanker
Same files to check

CapZap1970
06-18-07, 10:28 AM

Seen pictures of Jahre Viking loaded and empty? Its like 10 meters difference :88)

Which means 30 feet... ;)
So, the diff is consistent
CapZap

Redshirt
06-18-07, 02:38 PM

Look in the same Sea folder but at the NLTMS

The lit tanker
Same files to check

I'll have a check that file when I get home this evening but I did run a search for files containing the string "40.7" in the sea folder without any real luck came back with partial matches for two entries but both were 240.7 (length I seem to recall of something) :hmm:

siber
06-19-07, 08:29 AM
I noticed this too, thinking the draft was noted as 40.7m, but I looked closely and *think* that the previous line of writing is overlapping the number slightly, making the 1 look like a 4.

Is it to do with screen resolution? I run 1024 x 768 (small 15" monitor). I'm willing to bet that everyone with the problem is running the same, whereas those with larger screens won't notice.

Redshirt
06-19-07, 04:32 PM
I took a good look last night at it and I think your right.... i took a screen capture and will enlarge the image tonight and confirm it - problem solved lol, time to buy a new PC and monitor :-?

Sailor Steve
06-19-07, 04:38 PM

Which means 30 feet... ;)
So, the diff is consistent
CapZap
I would think a good captain would be able to hazard a pretty good guess as to what depth he should set his torpedoes for, based on that knowledge. Still, it would be fun to have one more headache in the game.

Did I really just say that?