PDA

View Full Version : Gripen becomes even better

Skybird
06-14-07, 05:15 AM
Found at simHQ:

On of my most favourite fighters of the present continues to become better:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.26509089.1181683682.LCQz3H8A AAEAAGdGJVkAAAAM&manuel_call_cat=3&manuel_call_prod=83146&manuel_call_mod=release&modele=jdc_inter (http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.26509089.1181683682.LCQz3H8A AAEAAGdGJVkAAAAM&manuel_call_cat=3&manuel_call_prod=83146&manuel_call_mod=release&modele=jdc_inter)

The Swedish from the beginning were one of the most innovative and leading players when datalink capability was being introduced to military platforms.

Very great and clever plane the Gripen is. Sweden certainly knows a thing or two about designing military equipement, since their traditon of fighter aircraft is not the only thing where they excel.

P_Funk
06-14-07, 05:24 AM
Don't the Swedes have the ability to land their planes on any long straight highway and have a refueling crew drive out to the aircraft? I saw that somewhere.

For a bunch of pinkos, they really know how to do warfare.

Skybird
06-14-07, 05:32 AM
Don't the Swedes have the ability to land their planes on any long straight highway and have a refueling crew drive out to the aircraft? I saw that somewhere.
Yes, but they are not alone with that ability. Harriers, and any other plane with short distance takeoff-and-land capability would be able to do that.

If you really want to learn about wonders and miracles of airforce logistics, check Switzerland's air force, at least in the past. ;) Hollow mountains. Perfectly cloaked hangers. Nazguls.

Well, maybe no Nazguls.

Happy Times
06-14-07, 06:07 AM
Just have to mention that Finns have had a datalink called Tietovuo also from the 60s when it was kept secret. Made jointly with Nokia these days. Its probably one of the best in the world and Americans used to come and study it few years back. Some pictures/video from the roadbases.

http://www.ilmavoimat.fi/imgarchive/tukikohtakuvat/galleria_hn1.jpg

http://www.ilmavoimat.fi/imgarchive/tukikohtakuvat/galleria_hn2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLhPgXqPUjU

Skybird
06-14-07, 06:28 AM
"Recently, when I was driving on the Autobahn..." :lol:

Jimbuna
06-14-07, 09:08 AM
Reminds me of the motorway alongside Schipol airport where planes taxi overhead on bridges just 2 metres above your vehicles roof.

Biggles
06-14-07, 09:53 AM
Sweden puts more work in quality than quantity. Our fleet is not even compareable to the United States in size, but the swedish fleet is in some places far more advanced. Same goes for any part of the Swedish armed forces really....:p

bradclark1
06-14-07, 09:57 AM

So does Germany. A lot of the autobahns were designed that way.

bradclark1
06-14-07, 10:06 AM
Sweden puts more work in quality than quantity. Our fleet is not even compareable to the United States in size, but the swedish fleet is in some places far more advanced. Same goes for any part of the Swedish armed forces really....:p
You have to juggle the two to make them work best for your needs.

Skybird
06-14-07, 10:12 AM
All too true, as I just had indicated in an nother thread some days ago. Examples: conventionol subs, stealth frigates (or was it corvettes? I always mix these up), IFVs, and what you turned our Leopard2A5 into (Strv122). Also certain times of artillery and tank/IFV gun ammunition.

All in all not too shabby! I am not really hungry for taking a bite off Sweden... :p

Happy Times
06-14-07, 11:08 AM
All too true, as I just had indicated in an nother thread some days ago. Examples: conventionol subs, stealth frigates (or was it corvettes? I always mix these up), IFVs, and what you turned our Leopard2A5 into (Strv122). Also certain times of artillery and tank/IFV gun ammunition.

All in all not too shabby! I am not really hungry for taking a bite off Sweden... :p

Sweden is like an island, it can invest in its Air Force and Navy wich are in good shape. Altough i doubt that all Gripens ordered will be seen in the Swedish Air Force.The Army has been practically dismanteled and the commander of the Swedish defence forces stated once that they rely on Finland on this.

Dowly
06-14-07, 11:41 AM
How do you sink a Swedish sub?
- You dive to the hatch and knock :p

How do you sink the sub again?
- You dive to the hatch and knock. After awhile, the skipper opens the hatch and yells "YOU THINK WE'RE STUPID!? WE WONT GO TWICE TO THE SAME TRICK!!" :D

(no pun intended)

(Who am I kidding?! xD)

Happy Times
06-14-07, 11:54 AM

- You dive to the hatch and knock. After awhile, the skipper opens the hatch and yells "YOU THINK WE'RE STUPID!? WE WONT GO TWICE TO THE SAME TRICK!!" :D

(no pun intended)

(Who am I kidding?! xD)

And the traditional Finnkampen with our dear neigbours starts.:p

PeriscopeDepth
06-14-07, 11:58 AM
The Gripen would be a lot more relevant if it had appeared about two decades ago. Too hard to compete with LM's F-16 now. It's certainly a good aircraft though.

PD

Dowly
06-14-07, 11:59 AM

(no pun intended)

(Who am I kidding?! xD)

:rotfl::rotfl:

Bring it on! Yarrrr!! :arrgh!:

Skybird
06-14-07, 12:00 PM
Seems to be a Scandinavian National sport? I once knew a guy from Norway, who complained that on board a jetliner from SAS the stewardess made an announcement: "We are about entering Norwegian airspace, please adjust you clocks accordingly by setting them back by a hundred years."

:lol:

Heibges
06-14-07, 12:03 PM
Yes, but they are not alone with that ability. Harriers, and any other plane with short distance takeoff-and-land capability would be able to do that.

If you really want to learn about wonders and miracles of airforce logistics, check Switzerland's air force, at least in the past. ;) Hollow mountains. Perfectly cloaked hangers. Nazguls.

Well, maybe no Nazguls.

As Hyman Rickover pointed out, the loss of their air bases cripples the US Airforce. Obviously, he was not looking to make friends in the Air Force. He was talking about bombers, but the same thing could be said of most of our fighters also.

Happy Times
06-14-07, 12:08 PM
Seems to be a Scandinavian National sport? I once knew a guy from Norway, who complained that on board a jetliner from SAS the stewardess made an announcement: "We are about entering Norwegian airspace, please adjust you clocks accordingly by setting them back by a hundred years."

This is even different from those, Finland was part of Sweden proper for over 700 years. Those were the days, raping and pillagin over Poland, Bohemia and Germany.:arrgh!: Sweden is still our second official language, we study it atleast 6 years in our schools, many for over 10.:D You need to speak it to get any goverment job, teacher, civil cervant, police officer, military occupation etc..

Konovalov
06-14-07, 12:10 PM
The Gripen has always been a classic favourite of mine. I remember SAAB often used the Gripen to advertise it's cars. Pitty the car wasn't up to par like the Gripen. :up:

Tchocky
06-14-07, 02:25 PM
Hmm, scandinavian jokes.... :)

Sky, I thought suicide was the national sport?

What does Sweden have the Finland doesn't?

Good neighbours!

(I'm sorry!)

Happy Times
06-14-07, 02:40 PM
At the airport...

A guy sitting at an airport bar in Atlanta noticed a beautiful woman sitting next to him.

He thought to himself, "Wow, she's gorgeous! And I think she's a flight attendant...but which airline does she work for?"

Hoping to pick her up, he leaned towards her and uttered the Delta slogan, "Love to fly and it shows?"

She gave him a blank, confused stare and he immediately thought to himself, "Hmm, no, she doesn't work for Delta."

A moment later, another slogan popped into his head. He leaned towards her again; "Something special in the air?"

She gave him the same confused look. He mentally kicked himself, and scratched American Airlines off the list. Next he tried the United slogan, "I would really love to fly your friendly skies!"

This time the woman looked at him, irritated, and screamed "What the $%#! do you want?!"

The man slumped back in his chair, and said: "Ahh, Finnair..."

Drinking

Sakke and Ville are sitting in a cottage in the middle of nowhere. They've been drinking for three days straight and they finally run out of booze.

Sakke says to his mate "Hey, go and look in the tool shed and see if there's anything to drink there."

Ville comes back with a bottle of methanol, and says "We could drink this, but we'll go blind!"

Sakke slowly looks around the cottage and out the window, and says "I think we've seen enough."

Finnish soldier

A young female reporter from a British newspaper was sent to Finland to write an article about Finnish soldiers returning from the Winter War. Interviewing one infantry-man, Jussi, she asked

"When you came home, when the war was over, what was the first thing you did?"

"I screwed my wife," Jussi replied bluntly.

The journalist went red, and tried to change the subject.

"After that, I mean. What did you do after that?"

"I screwed her again," he answered.

The journalist turned an even darker shade of red.

"Other than that! Uh - what did you do when you were finished with all that?"

"I took off my skis and had a beer."

Finnish weather explained

+15°C / 59°F
This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here.
People in Spain wears winter-coats and gloves.
The Finns are out in the sun, getting a tan.

+10°C / 50°F
The French are trying in vain to start their central heating.
The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5°C / 41°F
Italian cars won't start.
The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0°C / 32°F
Distilled water freezes.
The water in the Vanda river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.

-5°C / 23°F
People in California almost freeze to death.
The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10°C / 14°F
The Brits start the heat in their houses.
The Finns start using long sleeves.

-20°C / -4°F
The Aussies flee from Mallorca.
The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

-30°C / -22°F
People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth.
The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40°C / -40°F
Paris start cracking in the cold.
The Finns stand in line at the "grilli-kioski".

-50°C / -58°F
Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole.
The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60°C / -76°F
Korvatunturi (the home for Santa Claus) freezes.
The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70°C / -94°F
The false Santa moves south.
The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors.
The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183°C / -297.4°F
Microbes in food don't survive.
The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273°C / -459.4°F
All atom-based movent halts.
The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today."

-300°C / -508°F
Hell freezes over.
Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.

:p

Skybird
06-14-07, 04:44 PM
Sky, I thought suicide was the national sport?

Öh...? :o Do you refer to the higher rate of depressions and substance abuse (and caused by both of this: suicide rates) in these countries due to lacking light and bad weather ?

TLAM Strike
06-14-07, 05:03 PM
Don't the Swedes have the ability to land their planes on any long straight highway and have a refueling crew drive out to the aircraft? I saw that somewhere. Not only that but that refueling/rearming crew consists of only an NCO and two or three conscripts! :o

Compare that to the dozen or so people need to just check the oil and wash the windshield on a US operated jet. :roll: :roll:

bookworm_020
06-14-07, 05:55 PM
All these Finland jokes!:p

Reminds me of one I heard when reading a book on crash investigations.

"Did you hear of the plane that vannished? It disappeared into Finnair...":rotfl:

Safe-Keeper
06-14-07, 06:47 PM
People in Spain wears winter-coats and gloves.
The Finns are out in the sun, getting a tan. That is so true:rotfl: (of Norsemen, too).

Happy Times
06-14-07, 07:48 PM
Don't the Swedes have the ability to land their planes on any long straight highway and have a refueling crew drive out to the aircraft? I saw that somewhere. Not only that but that refueling/rearming crew consists of only an NCO and two or three conscripts! :o

Compare that to the dozen or so people need to just check the oil and wash the windshield on a US operated jet. :roll: :roll:

And the number of sorties in a day, per plane, is a massive 3-6. This compensates for the small sizes of the forces.

Skybird
06-15-07, 05:16 AM

And the number of sorties in a day, per plane, is a massive 3-6. This compensates for the small sizes of the forces.
Up to 6...? That is... exceptional!

Happy Times
06-15-07, 06:12 AM

Up to 6...? That is... exceptional!

Ofcourse they cant sustain that surge forever, but they do have the pilots to do this at times. Most missions would be short interception missions over Finland. Better would be to have more planes, altough there are some 50 BAE Hawks that ive seen equipped with Sidewinders and rockets.

Skybird
06-15-07, 10:38 AM
Gripen cockpit - still very modern, I would say, ergonomic and reducing the number of instruments, optimizing presentation of information. Note the huge HUD, and three huge MFDs - planned and designed in the 70s and 80s!

http://www.eurocontrol.int/gallery/mediabin/aircraft/mil_cockpit/gripen_cockpit_001--EC_CenteredContentImage_550x_JPG.jpg

http://www.aviation-fr.info/militaire/protos/gripen/gripen_display.jpg

In the late 80s I read a couple of books on fighter planes. All authors back then seemed to agree that the Gripen had by far the most modern cockpit of it's time, even more so than the F16C.

SUBMAN1
06-15-07, 10:43 AM
Found at simHQ:

On of my most favourite fighters of the present continues to become better:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.26509089.1181683682.LCQz3H8A AAEAAGdGJVkAAAAM&manuel_call_cat=3&manuel_call_prod=83146&manuel_call_mod=release&modele=jdc_inter (http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.26509089.1181683682.LCQz3H8A AAEAAGdGJVkAAAAM&manuel_call_cat=3&manuel_call_prod=83146&manuel_call_mod=release&modele=jdc_inter)

The Swedish from the beginning were one of the most innovative and leading players when datalink capability was being introduced to military platforms.

Very great and clever plane the Gripen is. Sweden certainly knows a thing or two about designing military equipement, since their traditon of fighter aircraft is not the only thing where they excel.

Thats why I drive a SAAB most days! :yep::yep::yep: Its a helluva lot better on gas mileage than my SUV too!

-S

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5362/saabvo5.png

Biggles
06-15-07, 11:36 AM
A thing to note: since Sweden has so good neghbours, we don'r rally need a big army.
We're pals up here, see? Besides, if it's advanced enough to compete with the U.S tech, then none of our neghbours would dare attack us!:cool:

SUBMAN1
06-15-07, 12:07 PM
A thing to note: since Sweden has so good neghbours, we don'r rally need a big army.
We're pals up here, see? Besides, if it's advanced enough to compete with the U.S tech, then none of our neghbours would dare attack us!:cool:
It is the least advanced of the 4x 4th generation fighters released by the Western world, but to its credit, it was created by a small country, and it has been flying the longest!

Rafale is actually even more capable, and the Eurofighter is even better than Rafale. F-22 is still top tog though.

The Gripen however can chew up and spit out probably 98% of allmost anything flying though. That includes most of what the US of A fields. Put Gripen up against any F-15 / F-16, and the gripen will be the winner if flown by a competent pilot.

Just my 2 cents.

-S

Jimbuna
06-15-07, 01:52 PM
It is the least advanced of the 4x 4th generation fighters released by the Western world, but to its credit, it was created by a small country, and it has been flying the longest!

Rafale is actually even more capable, and the Eurofighter is even better than Rafale. F-22 is still top tog though.

The Gripen however can chew up and spit out probably 98% of allmost anything flying though. That includes most of what the US of A fields. Put Gripen up against any F-15 / F-16, and the gripen will be the winner if flown by a competent pilot.

Just my 2 cents.

-S

You've obviously not seen the movie Top Gun :lol:

SUBMAN1
06-15-07, 02:01 PM
You've obviously not seen the movie Top Gun :lol:
Are you saying that American pilots in their crappy old antique aircraft can outfly the newest and best aircraft the world can throw at them, and never manuver in the verticle while doing so, not even once? They might as well have been driving cars around in circles the way they dogfight! :D I guess the Russians in the movie liked flat 2 dimendional flying too! They also preferred flying American hardware and just painted Soviet stars on the tail too!

-S

Jimbuna
06-15-07, 02:15 PM
Are you saying that American pilots in their crappy old antique aircraft can outfly the newest and best aircraft the world can throw at them, and never manuver in the verticle while doing so, not even once?

Nope, I'm not......but Hollywood, Paramount or whoever it was that made the film are :rotfl:

SUBMAN1
06-15-07, 05:33 PM
Are you saying that American pilots in their crappy old antique aircraft can outfly the newest and best aircraft the world can throw at them, and never manuver in the verticle while doing so, not even once?
Nope, I'm not......but Hollywood, Paramount or whoever it was that made the film are :rotfl:

Yeah - I went to that movie as a kid, thinking cool, I can see some dogfight action! First disappointment was the F-5's posing as Russian MiG's. Second disappointment came when all they did was take right or left turns! And then, WTH is this thing - "i gotta wait for missile lock" thing? I mean, come on! What a bunch of crap. I walked out of there with mixed feelings a bit. On one hand, got to see 'some' flying. On the other, it was completely unrealistic and Hollywood.

I think I read somewhere later on that the movie producers thought that normal Americans wouldn't understand the dogfight in the vertical.

-S

Tchocky
06-15-07, 05:42 PM
Top Gun wasn't a flying flick, it was the worst disguised gay film I've ever seen, basically one long slo-mo game of volleyball.

It would have been improved if the producers had been honest, Brokeback Angled-Deck

:)

NefariousKoel
06-16-07, 12:21 AM
Top Gun wasn't a flying flick, it was the worst disguised gay film I've ever seen, basically one long slo-mo game of volleyball.

It would have been improved if the producers had been honest, Brokeback Angled-Deck

:)
Maddox summed it up best regarding Top Gun huh?

(I didn't bother linking the pics he had/made.)
"1. Top Gun
For those of you who don't remember, "Top Gun" was the movie about a bunch of guys who stand around high-fiving each other for about 90 minutes. The movie focuses on some loser named "Maverick" who penetrates deep into the coveted veil of the top gun academy of smug, sexually frustrated aviators. I know many of you reading this will probably think I'm exaggerating when I say this (since I exaggerate everything, except for my manliness which is enviable), but there were no fewer than 500 shower scenes in this movie. The wardrobe for this film must have consisted of a towel, a jump suit, and 50 pages of gay innuendo, because the rest of the time Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer were walking around naked eyeing each other's packages. Then as if the director didn't think all the high-fiving and shower scenes were suggestive enough, there was a gratuitous scene in which all the guys got oiled up and played volleyball. Every few minutes I half-expected to see Cruise and Kilmer lock lips to a ballad of "It's Raining Men:"

If you remember having good memories of this movie, then it was probably because you were too young to know what was going on, or an idiot. Don't bother resurrecting this classic to prove I'm right."

From "Five Sh*tty Movies Everyone Loves"

http://maddox.xmission.com/