PDA

View Full Version : Edward L. Beach

pythos
06-10-07, 10:16 AM
I am currently reading run silent run deep (actually for the third time, my first reading of this book was in my first year of middle school, loved it then, and am remembering why.)

I have heard on this forum that mr Beach wrote the continuing story of the crew from this book. Which books are they, I did an amazon search and found very few references to mr Beach, and they looked like they were surface fleet related.

wstaub
06-10-07, 10:43 AM
Dust On The Sea and Cold is the Sea are the others.

mookiemookie
06-10-07, 01:40 PM
I just came back from visiting my parents and found Cold is the Sea on my dad's bookshelf and borrowed it from him. I'll let you know how it is when I finish it.

AntEater
06-10-07, 03:37 PM
Dust on the Sea:
The USS under Rich goes into the Yellow Sea on a wolfpack operation in early 1945.
I liked it quite well, especially since it is much more compact than the first one, as the action is compressed into a single war patrol

Cold is the Sea:
Rich and one of his former officers go rescuing a Polaris sub commanded by another former officer of Rich, that is stuck under the polar ice.
Set around early to mid 1960s.
Didnt really like this one.

Camaero
06-10-07, 04:09 PM
I would also recommend his "Submarine!" which is of his own account on the Trigger, as well as the true stories of various other subs.:rock:

Sailor Steve
06-10-07, 04:40 PM
The library I'm at has a copy of his autobiography, Salt & Steel. It's on my list.

Heibges
06-30-07, 02:19 PM
The library I'm at has a copy of his autobiography, Salt & Steel. It's on my list.

Someone just gave me a copy of that in hardcover not too long ago. His wife ws apparently making him thin out his collection. I've been meaning to start reading it.