PDA

View Full Version : Carriers at War available for download!

flintlock
06-07-07, 06:41 PM
For those interested, Carriers at War is now available for download on Matrix's site!

Direct link (http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/sat5/ec_Main.Entry17C?SID=45905&SP=10023&CID=0&PID=925009&PN=1&V1=925009&CUR=840&DSP=&PGRP=0&ABCODE=&CACHE_ID=0)

Edit: updated link.

tedhealy
06-07-07, 06:59 PM
WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Thanks for the heads up.:up::rock::rock:

edit: seems not to be there anymore, or at least I don't see it

edit2: ok, now I do. Had to refresh the page a few times.

bradclark1
06-07-07, 08:42 PM
$50.00!
I'll wait till hell freezes over or the price comes down.:down:
I see Tiller has his games on Matrix now. His games came down $15.

CCIP
06-07-07, 09:18 PM
Gah, I wasn't expecting it to be out for another week.

See if I can borrow a fifty off my brother :roll:

flintlock
06-07-07, 10:11 PM
CCIP, just ask him nicely if he can contribute much needed resources to the war effort. ;)

NefariousKoel
06-07-07, 11:17 PM
$50.00!
I'll wait till hell freezes over or the price comes down.:down:
I see Tiller has his games on Matrix now. His games came down $15.

The first 3 of the series, Brad. All-in-one.

Sh*t, I paid much more than that for each initial release without any add-on packs or additions a few years ago.:rock:

Lagger123987
06-08-07, 12:08 AM
Aww man, thought it was a demo!

tedhealy
06-08-07, 01:06 AM
Played thru the Pearl Harbor and Coral Sea scenarios and loved every minute.

Use Pearl Harbor as the Japanese as your tutorial I'd suggest. Very easy and it helps you get the hang of coordinating air strikes.

I then played Coral Sea as the US and got my butt kicked every time until I started using some strategy.

What really impressed me was that I played Coral Sea 5 times in a row and each time the AI did something a little bit different. Sometimes they pushed their carriers up to actively hunt for me, sometimes they held back and seemed to be trying to lure me in (which I continually fell for the first few times). I'm having a blast with it.

Only complaints would be lack of carry over between scenarios and the limited number of scenarios. The limited number can be remedied somewhat because a scenario editor is included.

azn_132
06-08-07, 02:33 AM
Lookin forward to it!:up: :up:

bradclark1
06-08-07, 11:37 AM
Played thru the Pearl Harbor and Coral Sea scenarios and loved every minute.

Use Pearl Harbor as the Japanese as your tutorial I'd suggest. Very easy and it helps you get the hang of coordinating air strikes.

I then played Coral Sea as the US and got my butt kicked every time until I started using some strategy.

What really impressed me was that I played Coral Sea 5 times in a row and each time the AI did something a little bit different. Sometimes they pushed their carriers up to actively hunt for me, sometimes they held back and seemed to be trying to lure me in (which I continually fell for the first few times). I'm having a blast with it.

Only complaints would be lack of carry over between scenarios and the limited number of scenarios. The limited number can be remedied somewhat because a scenario editor is included.
Well maybe I won't wait till hell freezes over.:-?

flintlock
06-08-07, 12:03 PM
bradclark1, Carriers at War is a seriously fun game, honestly. Too bad there's no demo (or any plans for one at this stage) you could try out--I have a sneaking suspicion you would most likely enjoy the game. With respect to the price: niche title for a niche market by a small independent developer choosing to have their labor of love published be a small fish, as far as publishers go. Personally, I think it provides good value when you consider the big picture.

C'mon sailor--get those feet wet! ;)

eddie
06-08-07, 03:50 PM
Sorry, no disrespect towards Matrix, but won't pay $50 for it! I got the Complete Carriers at War for under $30, designed by Roger Keating and Ian Trout. Runs on anything form Win98 to XP. And these are the original series, CAW 1 covers the first half of the war in the PTO, CAW 2 covers more of the second half. Also has new scenarios for the ETO and MTO, along with the Construction Kit to design your own stuff. Still has the original graphics and sounds, but who cares, thats what I had so much fun with when they were released on floppies,LOL

The great AI programming is still there, and I have gone through the same type of thing when using the Coral Sea mission, got suckered in, and lost my carriers the first few times too!:lol:

Just do a Google search for Complete Carriers at War, you find all the info you need! Plus it comes with a 200 page manual, personalized with your name on it!

Can't see paying an extra $20 for a few better looking renditions of ships and ac!
But, each to his own!:)

flintlock
06-08-07, 04:19 PM
Sorry, no disrespect towards Matrix, but won't pay $50 for it! I think it's quite safe to say neither Matrix or SSG are offended. It's your money and nobody is forcing you to purchase something you don't want. Personally I enjoy titles like these and like to support the developers. This way they may be more inclined to continue coding quality software like this in the future.

Can't see paying an extra $20 for a few better looking renditions of ships and ac! Just for clarification, this latest incarnation of Carriers at War is not merely a graphics upgrade. This title has been redesigned and coded from the ground up. You're getting a lot more for that additional $20 than updated graphics. That being said, if you're happy with the older title, that's great--enjoy! It's still a good game.

CCIP
06-08-07, 04:23 PM
I think we also need to remember that high prices on these games are in large part due to the development demands and limited market. I totally sympathise with smaller publishers doing hardcore titles, and I've never felt sorry for shelling out an above-average amount for an honest sim/wargame. The money goes towards supporting a fragile market, and one in whose survival I'm quite interested.

Still need to gather my finances for this though :dead:

eddie
06-08-07, 11:15 PM
Yes, I hope sales for the new version go well, and everyone enjoys it! Not trying to make Matrix/SSG look bad, by any means, I really enjoy these strategy sim's, always have.:)

Even the Landbased sims are alot of fun, but can't figure out why games like these are still so high priced? Some by HPS, that have been out for 4 or 5 years, are still around $40 to $50, by now, would think they would be coming down in price.

NefariousKoel
06-09-07, 12:42 AM
I just played through the tutorials.

While disjointed and making me concentrate heavily on learning during that time, this game is a knock out of the park. I never played the first one, but the unique strategy in CaW is a breath of fresh air for anyone who's been choking on the same 'ole stale or disconnected strategy games these past many years. Tactical hide & seek with a lot of indecision thrown at you. Things aren't black & white here, folks.

I'm stoked even by running through the funky tutorials like a madman. I just hope the included mission editors are fairly friendly so we get an outpour.

Though there are many tutorials, you'll definitely wanna read up on details. This is no "beer 'n pretzels" game as some have implied, though it may seem that way after coming to terms with the massive interface options. Luckily there are tooltips for all those buttons.

I'll sum the feel of the game and it's interface up such as it will inevitably be compared to UV/WiTP: I'm not punching buttons on a calculator any more, I'm involved. I haven't felt this good about a $50 purchase in a long time. http://www.madcowssteakhouse.com/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I'll post further praise & bitching later.

perisher
06-09-07, 07:44 PM
Well I think it was £25.99 well spent. A few more scenarios would have been nice, especialy "what ifs". Apart from that a great and , so far, bug free game.

perisher
06-09-07, 07:47 PM
I think we also need to remember that high prices on these games are in large part due to the development demands and limited market. I totally sympathise with smaller publishers doing hardcore titles, and I've never felt sorry for shelling out an above-average amount for an honest sim/wargame. The money goes towards supporting a fragile market, and one in whose survival I'm quite interested.

Still need to gather my finances for this though :dead:

A good point, very well made, I totally agree.

Hertston
06-09-07, 08:10 PM
Even the Landbased sims are alot of fun, but can't figure out why games like these are still so high priced? Some by HPS, that have been out for 4 or 5 years, are still around $40 to $50, by now, would think they would be coming down in price.

Try NWS to get them rather cheaper.

Two reasons they haven't come down in price. The first is that in such an extreme niche market extra sales would be unlikely to make up for the reduced profit on each sale; there just aren't hordes of folks out there who would buy, say, the HPS Kharkov or Franklin games just because they knocked $15 off the price. Those who do want them are prepared to pay the old price. Secondly, the games don't date in the sense that they are kept upgraded (mostly) to the standard of recent releases. A project to patch every game to Vista compatibility is currently in progress, for example.

tedhealy
06-09-07, 09:03 PM
Just finished up changing history at Coral Sea. As the Japanese I was able to hold off and eventually sink the American carriers while at the same time sneaking my invasion force into Port Moresby. Decisive victory :arrgh!:

That's one heck of a fun scenario as either side. As the Japanese side it's simple, find 'em and sink 'em. As the American side, you need to play hide and seek and pick your engagements very carefully because of the overwhelming superiority in range the Japanese carrier planes have.

Overall so far, I'd give this game a 7.5/10. If it had double the scenarios I'd easily give it an 8. If it had double the scenarios and a grand campaign with carry over damage, a 9/10.

FAdmiral
06-09-07, 10:53 PM
With a good editor to make new scenarios, players should be able to turn
out new scenarios to add to the stock game ones. This will give us many
new missions to work with. As for the campaign, someone would have to
link the scenarios together with the correct timeline but also project damage
repairs into future scenarios. (don't know if that is possible but maybe)

JIM

bradclark1
06-10-07, 02:09 PM
Overall so far, I'd give this game a 7.5/10. If it had double the scenarios I'd easily give it an 8. If it had double the scenarios and a grand campaign with carry over damage, a 9/10.
If the game sellls well maybe you'll get your wish or portion thereof.

tedhealy
06-10-07, 03:41 PM
Overall so far, I'd give this game a 7.5/10. If it had double the scenarios I'd easily give it an 8. If it had double the scenarios and a grand campaign with carry over damage, a 9/10. If the game sellls well maybe you'll get your wish or portion thereof.

I sure hope so. I'd hate to see the results if I have to start going into the editor myself.

NefariousKoel
06-10-07, 05:32 PM
The Devs have stated they are remaking extra scenario add-ons that were released for the original CaW. They also stated they would help players with making some of them too if needed. :up:

I just finished playing Wake for the 2nd time as the US. First time I got my ass handed to me. Total turn-around in the 2nd go since I learned to keep my split up Carrier groups closer together. I still lost 1 carrier to the IJN's 2 but managed to run them off and save Wake. Even had a couple night surface battles and wounded a couple heavy cruisers.

I'm having a blast. I'm wondering what multiplayer is like.

XLjedi
06-22-07, 08:05 AM
$59.99 :huh: ouch...

I'll have to sit back on this one for a bit. Looks like they're backordered til July anyway... I guess that's a good sign.

tedhealy
06-22-07, 12:18 PM

I'll have to sit back on this one for a bit. Looks like they're backordered til July anyway... I guess that's a good sign.

Just do the digital download :D The manual isn't that great so you won't miss out on much with a pdf version vs a printed one.

XLjedi
06-22-07, 02:58 PM
:arrgh!: decisions... decisions...

Still a tad pricey, and I've never played this one. You guys are recommending it though, hmmm... :hmm:

NefariousKoel
06-25-07, 07:01 AM

I paid $49.99 for the digital download only, burned it off, and registered my key on Matrix' site so I could retrieve it if my house blew up it'd still be there. The manual isn't (relatively) large at all for a strategy game and the size of the manual was the only deciding factor in my saving $10.

It's easy to learn with the tutorials. My extra question or two was answered quickly on their boards.

longlance
09-15-11, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

I've been looking low and high to find manual for Complete carriers at war (CCAW) but no luck so far, can anyone help me with it, I just need some tips like if there is way to zoom in the map and thins like that,
Sorry for bringing this old thread to ''periscope depth''.

Thx,

longlance

Egan
09-15-11, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

I've been looking low and high to find manual for Complete carriers at war (CCAW) but no luck so far, can anyone help me with it, I just need some tips like if there is way to zoom in the map and thins like that,
Sorry for bringing this old thread to ''periscope depth''.

Thx,

longlance

Have you tried the relevant section over at Matrix? It still seems at least a little active (well, posts within the last month versus this 4 year old thread.)

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=378

I've never played it but i hope you find some answers to your questions.

longlance
09-15-11, 04:36 PM
Have you tried the relevant section over at Matrix? It still seems at least a little active (well, posts within the last month versus this 4 year old thread.)

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=378

I've never played it but i hope you find some answers to your questions.

Thx, but it's about new CAW game, I am looking for manual for old CCAW from 1997 I think, never the less thx for effort.

FAdmiral
09-24-11, 10:25 AM
I think this is what he is talking about but i won't let it go.
I have refered to it many times over the years....

longlance
09-25-11, 10:38 AM
That's also good, do you have it in digital form (manual)?

FAdmiral
09-25-11, 06:51 PM
No, fraid not. The files would have been on a PC long gone
by now. Probably back in the days of the Win95 and the
1st pentium cpu's. That game has to be about 16 or so years old.