PDA

View Full Version : out of fuel

jason210
06-04-07, 07:06 PM
Er...ran out of fuel. Is that it? I guess I picked up a bad "return to base" habit in SH3...

06-04-07, 07:33 PM
dont forget to use 2/3 speed. watch your flank speed runs

SteamWake
06-04-07, 08:16 PM
Its a bit of a cheat but you can still get back.

It seems there are solar chargers on the fleet boats. If you surface the batteries will recharge even if your out of diesel.

Itll take forever but you can get back.

Next time optimum range / cruise speed is 10 knots (except S class).

mfddan
06-05-07, 01:00 AM
Yes........ 10kts unless pursuing or running.

Palidian
06-08-07, 02:16 AM
If you ran our of fuel they would send out a rescue ship, however this is not in the game.

LukeFF
06-08-07, 02:29 AM
If you ran our of fuel they would send out a rescue ship.

Proof?

Palidian
06-08-07, 02:41 AM
??? If a sub ran out of fuel, they would raido there postition and a rescue ship would be sent. This is not in the game.

Proof?

SteamWake
06-08-07, 10:07 AM
??? If a sub ran out of fuel, they would raido there postition and a rescue ship would be sent. This is not in the game.

Proof?

If it was possible they would try to 'rescue' a sub in trouble however a little luck would be needed. Not to mention a royal ass chewing for having to divert assets and lack of good command decisions.

I think that just about everyone has run out of fuel at least once in this game espically on the steep (front side) of the learning curve. Later in the war it gets much easier as there are more 'tenders'.

There was a discussion about a "rescue" button but doubt we will see it.

AVGWarhawk
06-08-07, 10:29 AM
No rescue button please.....this then allows you to blast around and not worry about fuel. Use the unlimited fuel button in this case if you want to be at flank from start to finish. I like the no rescue deal. Makes you have to think about your next move.

Sailor Steve
06-08-07, 10:34 AM
SH1 had a "Rescue Button" of sorts, and you might have liked it, AVG. If you ran out of fuel you could end the mission; however, depending on where you were, you might be towed home (nice graphic of a freighter towing a sub), captured by the enemy or "lost at sea". The odds were nicely balanced depending on location at the time, and it added a great sense of fear when you actually had to resort to it.

AVGWarhawk
06-08-07, 10:37 AM
Now that would be cool. I never played SH1. If you are out of fuel and there was a random reaction....now you got something!

SteamWake
06-08-07, 10:44 AM
SH1 had a "Rescue Button" of sorts, and you might have liked it, AVG. If you ran out of fuel you could end the mission; however, depending on where you were, you might be towed home (nice graphic of a freighter towing a sub), captured by the enemy or "lost at sea". The odds were nicely balanced depending on location at the time, and it added a great sense of fear when you actually had to resort to it.

I like that. Might add that if you DID get a ride home you would either be retired, discharged, or take a huge renown hit.

Snowman999
06-08-07, 02:00 PM

I remember the rescue button. Nice feature.

Probably wouldn't be a freighter though. There were three (?) major classes of tugs in WWII. From memory I think they were AT (yard tug), ATF (fleet tug), and ATR (rescue tug). I think pre-war there was an ATO (ocean-going tug) that morphed into the ATF. As the offensive perimeter was pushed west the tugs followed, basing in the Marshalls and later the Marianas. Battle damage was their normal job, so they had a lot of work other than rescuing out-of-fuel situations. But they were available, presuming the problem was east enough to avoid Japanese land-based air.

I don't know of any boats that ran out due to miscalculation, but there were probably a few that recieved tank damage and lost part of their load while in the patrol area. Pretty dumb to abandon/lose a boat 300 miles west of Midway because it has a hole in the fuel tank.

Palidian
06-08-07, 02:54 PM
The only time I ran or of fuel when when I took dammage and went from 3/4 fuel to 1/4 fuel.

Proof?
If it was possible they would try to 'rescue' a sub in trouble however a little luck would be needed. Not to mention a royal ass chewing for having to divert assets and lack of good command decisions.

I think that just about everyone has run out of fuel at least once in this game espically on the steep (front side) of the learning curve. Later in the war it gets much easier as there are more 'tenders'.

There was a discussion about a "rescue" button but doubt we will see it.

Sailor Steve
06-08-07, 06:44 PM
Probably wouldn't be a freighter though.
I figured (didn't know) that that was probably the case. I was just mentioning the picture they put with it.

Nice info on the tug types and service, though. Thanks.:sunny:

THE_MASK
06-08-07, 10:10 PM
Its funny how everyone spends countless hours trying to perfect torpedo shots then sail off aimlessly with no regard to fuel consumption/range . Spend some time to calculate how far you can travel on the fuel you have . Some paperwork needs to be done on this .

SteamWake
06-08-07, 11:07 PM
Its funny how everyone spends countless hours trying to perfect torpedo shots then sail off aimlessly with no regard to fuel consumption/range . Spend some time to calculate how far you can travel on the fuel you have . Some paperwork needs to be done on this .

Speak for yourself... (crisp salute).

Some people are new to the game /genere and have to learn.

zylark
06-08-07, 11:13 PM
Half a tank left equals turning around and head for home. Leaves a bit in reserve as well. You never know what might be necessary. You might be lucky, catch a task-force, but need to do flank to catch up. Or get unlucky and some MoFo shoot a hole in your hull and make you leak fuel.

In either case, half a tank minimum before turning around and head for home, leave you good manouvering room to handle most situations. Especially later in the war where subtenders and bases are more plentiful.

Joe S
06-08-07, 11:34 PM
Is there a way to determint the distance that can be travelled at current speed as in SHIII?Thanks! Joe S

SteamWake
06-08-07, 11:39 PM
Sure .... just look at your nav map

Von Tonner
06-09-07, 04:28 AM
I likrd the limited fuel option too as it gives you something extra to keep an eye on - but I am still annoyed at having to leave a good crew and boat stranded in Darwin harbour Australia because we could not refuel. That really sucks:damn:

lillpengen
06-09-07, 11:37 AM
Is it not possible to refuel in some base.?? I am on the mission deploy to Honshu. But i can't get all the way, so i thougt i should stay at Wake island to refuel. But maybe it is not possible to do this!!??

After some reading i have understand that i should run the ship in 2/3, and not the flank that i allways use.

I apologize my bad English..

Steel_Tomb
06-09-07, 11:51 AM
no dont go flank speed unless you really have to otherwise you use up too much fuel. If you have patience its sometimes better (especially near jap territory) to go to 1/3 speed and go to about 40m, saves you from getting jumped by zero's and all that jaz. 2/3 is the normal cruising speed or if your close to base go standard.

lillpengen
06-09-07, 11:55 AM
OK.

What dept is the best for the submarine to go fast. I mean if i is going on 2/3, where is the sub going at the higest speed, at the surface or under the surface?

Once again I apologize my bad English..

Steel_Tomb
06-09-07, 01:15 PM
Your sub will always be quicker on the surface. The exception being the type XXI but thats in SHIII so it doesn't matter. Diesels are more powerful than your electric engines so its slow submerged quick surfaced. I think 2/3 surfaced is like flank speed submerged.

SteamWake
06-09-07, 01:38 PM
Submarines arent fast.

Best duration surfaced at 10 knots.

Submerged about 3 or 4 knots.

Its a simulation not go go fast racer.

divo 637
06-09-07, 02:57 PM
I am curious. I seem to remember that US subs ran much faster than 2/3 going on and off station. Is the 10kts historical or is it just a weak point in the sim??

SteamWake
06-09-07, 03:41 PM
I am curious. I seem to remember that US subs ran much faster than 2/3 going on and off station. Is the 10kts historical or is it just a weak point in the sim??

Historically cruise speed was around 12 knots.

The program is ... well programmed to 10 knots. There are some mods to help with this some.

As I stated before your not totally stuck. The batteries will recharge while surfaced even without diesel (dont ask its magic). So you can recharge the batteries then run submerged till there discharged, rinse, repeat.

It will take you forever but hey you dont have to toss a carrier.

lillpengen
06-09-07, 03:48 PM
I think that it is some ?sunpanels? that recharge the battery on surface. But some submarines did have a snorkel that the diesel engine got air from so that they could use the diesel engine a couple meters under the surface. Or was this not invented under the WWII ???

I am not good on english grammar.

SteamWake
06-09-07, 04:33 PM
No snorkels on fleet boats.

No solar panels either ;) besides your better off surfacing at night

The batterie recharging thing is sort of a game bug.

TheSatyr
06-09-07, 05:03 PM
I can't remember ever reading about a US boat ever running out of fuel in ww2. They were damn careful about fuel consumption in the boats. Full and flank speeds were reserved for combat situations including end-runs only.

As for damaged tanks,generally if your tanks were damaged enough to cause major fuel leaks then you were probably dead already. Minor fuel leaks just meant recalculating the fuel range/speed thing. (And you'd probably want to head home as soon as the tanks were damaged anyway,since leaking tanks were a dead giveaway to a sub's position.).

AVGWarhawk
06-09-07, 05:10 PM
since leaking tanks were a dead giveaway to a sub's position.).

:yep: Time to head home if your trailing miles of fuel.

jason210
06-10-07, 05:45 PM
It does seem that some missions cannot be completed without refuelling at Midway. For example, in the patrolling the South China Seas I refuelled on the way, and on the way back.

TheSatyr
06-10-07, 06:48 PM
Subs from Pearl always topped off their tanks at Midway. It was standard procedure.

lillpengen
06-11-07, 03:31 AM
Can i at every mission refuel at midway if i want?

How to refuel?

McBeck
06-11-07, 03:50 AM
Is it not possible to refuel in some base.?? I am on the mission deploy to Honshu. But i can't get all the way, so i thougt i should stay at Wake island to refuel. But maybe it is not possible to do this!!??

After some reading i have understand that i should run the ship in 2/3, and not the flank that i allways use.

I apologize my bad English..
I believe you can refit(refuel) at all US bases

lillpengen
06-11-07, 04:24 AM
I could can you give me a step-by-step guide how to do this.? You can start from when i is like 10 meters from the harbor. Just so that you tell me how to dock.

McBeck
06-11-07, 05:01 AM
I could can you give me a step-by-step guide how to do this.? You can start from when i is like 10 meters from the harbor. Just so that you tell me how to dock.You dont need to dock...just approach the habor and you will be presented with the option to refit. If you ignore it a "habor" icon will appear in the top right corner. Click on it and you will get the options again....
Above is all from memory...PC dead in the water :(

lillpengen
06-11-07, 05:04 AM
OKey, thank you. i will try that right now cuase i don't have enough fuel to get back home :(. so i will try to stop at Wake island.

lillpengen
06-11-07, 05:56 AM
I have another question, is it possible, when using time compression, that it wont go back to *1 when spotting a aircraft.??

It is very ennoying when havin a long way to go when it every fifth second going down to *1 in time compression.!!!!
And i don't care if it is a air plane around, cause most of the time i am under surface....

SteamWake
06-11-07, 09:20 AM
I have another question, is it possible, when using time compression, that it wont go back to *1 when spotting a aircraft.??

It is very ennoying when havin a long way to go when it every fifth second going down to *1 in time compression.!!!!
And i don't care if it is a air plane around, cause most of the time i am under surface....

I dont understand this question as you will not spot aircraft while submerged.

Are you running around at periscope depth with your scope up ?

Im just the opposite. If there is an aircraft approaching I damn sure want to know about it. Shrugging off aircraft contacts will eventually get you killed.

lillpengen
06-11-07, 10:15 AM
I was going for refueling in Wake island and when i was like 500 meters from the harbor deepest in in wake island i saw that it was japanes ship that was in the harbor and they started to shoot!! Did not USA have a base at wake island??

JJCarter
06-11-07, 11:10 AM
Wake Island was actually attacked about the same time as Pearl Harbor. Though our guys held off the Japanese first attempts to land, the Japanese captured Wake Island about 2 weeks later, and held it until late 1945. Since the game starts right at the Pearl Harbor attack, Wake would have been in Japanese hands when you went to refuel.

tycho102
06-11-07, 01:46 PM

Then you've got your scopes up. Put your scopes down -- Control-PageDown and Control-Delete.

Which brings me to my next point. Are sillhouettes modeled in the game? Subs running over shallows (~20m water depth) were clearly visible from passing aircraft.

SteamWake
06-11-07, 02:11 PM

Then you've got your scopes up. Put your scopes down -- Control-PageDown and Control-Delete.

Which brings me to my next point. Are sillhouettes modeled in the game? Subs running over shallows (~20m water depth) were clearly visible from passing aircraft.

As to running round withthe scope up thats a good way to get spotted and killed.

About the sillouettes, I wondered the same thing all I can say is it doesent seem to be for either aircraft or Destroyers.

It seems as though as long as your conn tower is below the surface you 'vanish'.

Ive had DD's pass right next to me in very shallow water in broad daylight and not be spotted.

Uhhhh watch those crash dives in shallow water though :p

CaptBC
06-11-07, 11:04 PM
I was going for refueling in Wake island and when i was like 500 meters from the harbor deepest in in wake island i saw that it was japanes ship that was in the harbor and they started to shoot!! Did not USA have a base at wake island??
Check your map. Only the ports and tenders with the anchor icons are places you can refit fuel and torpedoes.:up: Wake Island (at least early in the war) does not have an anchor, so no refit!:nope:

CaptBC