PDA

View Full Version : who needs radar!

Foghladh_mhara
06-04-07, 02:31 PM
I'm a very impatient person. I therefore like to zip about the North Atlantic at extremely high TC. I rarely travel to my patrol grid at less than 2048x. It does get me into trouble occassionally such as ramming British Destroyers in foggy weather and only spotting aircraft after they've bombed me but at least the crews death isnt drawn out.

It has occured to me that I am missing a lot of merchies by not carrying out regular sound checks but I'm a busy man (this is a viewpoint contested by my boss however) Then today I made a discovery. Once I'm away from land the 2048x compression is pretty smooth. Occassionally though the passage gets a bit jumpy and the game seems to hang a bit. During one of these episodes I decided to go to periscope depth and check for contacts. Sure enough a customer was detected. I sank her. I've now managed to detect about 8 contacts using this method in this patrol alone. Sweet

Herr Russ
06-04-07, 04:10 PM
A few months ago, someone else noticed that as well, but I forgot to try it for myself..

Thanks!! :up:

GoldenRivet
06-04-07, 06:21 PM
i rarely travel with that much time compression, but i realized early on in SH3 history that if you notice a small bit of lag you are coming close to a ship... larger lag and your more likely dealing with a convoy... best practice is to immediately pause the game then resume 1X compression and go to periscope depth and take a listen at what might be just over the horizon.

Foghladh_mhara
06-04-07, 06:26 PM
It appears my groundbreaking discovery has already been discovered :damn: Curses!

Indiana_Jones
06-04-07, 07:00 PM
2048X compression?!

You should be playing at 1x all the time!

Don't shave and don't tend to your house or wife!

-Indy

maillemaker
06-04-07, 07:39 PM
Yeah I've noticed that too - whenever you start getting lag in TC you know there are good things around. :)

Jimbuna
06-05-07, 05:38 AM
It appears my groundbreaking discovery has already been discovered :damn: Curses!

Yeah...about a year or so back :lol: :up:

IrischKapitan
06-05-07, 09:08 AM
if the time compression lags it may not be good news at all, you could be too near the sea floor or near to bumping into mines (i learnt the hard way:dead:)

Foghladh_mhara
06-05-07, 03:41 PM

Man I hate it when people discover stuff before me. Like that time I invented the round thingy. Thought I was made till they told me in the patent office it was already invented. And I would have had a much cooler name than 'wheel'! I mean come on!

Brag
06-05-07, 07:01 PM

Man I hate it when people discover stuff before me. Like that time I invented the round thingy. Thought I was made till they told me in the patent office it was already invented. And I would have had a much cooler name than 'wheel'! I mean come on!

Fogh, invent the square thinggie and call it bumpa kka bump. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Foghladh_mhara
06-05-07, 07:14 PM

Fogh, invent the square thinggie and call it bumpa kka bump. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Already in the pipeline:yep: