PDA

View Full Version : Merchant firepower

Foghladh_mhara
06-03-07, 07:57 PM
I always start my careers in 1939 and am generally dead by 1941 so this kaleun is a bit surprised to be sailing the North Atlantic in mid 1942. The merchies have started tooling up for action. No surprise there but they're decked out like cruisers!
I fired a torp at a solitary whale factory ship and then surfaced to finish him off and got the snot kicked out of me! There were gunners practically hanging off the masts. The Liberty ship I'm stalking now has got a hole in its hull but it also has 3 guns up front, 3 at the stern and 4 machine guns up top!!!!! The Bismark didn't have that kind of firepower!

My 'one torpedo one ship' strategy is gonna have to change and BdU is not gonna be happy :nope: Them fish aint cheap

Packerton
06-03-07, 08:00 PM
Just a comment on the fish aint cheap statement...

What your sinking is worth farrrr more then a couple of torpedoes :up:

Yeah watch out for armed merchants in stormy wheather who insist on fireing at your exposed boat when the wave rolls and exploses your conning tower its really annoying.

bookworm_020
06-03-07, 11:47 PM
I have found if you have damaged a ship but it hasn't sunk, put 5,000 to 6,000 metres between the ship and you and you can get a couple of rounds off before he spots you.

Try and attack from a point where his guns woun't bear, if he's got a gun forward, attack from aft. If you want to have fun, put a neutral ship between you and him and watch the fireworks!:up:

With bigger ships it pays to make sure they go down by using a couple of torpedo's, smaller ships can get by with one, and if they don't go down, think before ordering surface and man the deck gun, as the welcome you get may not be pleasent!:yep:

Sailor Steve
06-04-07, 11:13 AM
Some Liberties were fairly well armed:

One 3 inch bow gun
One 4or 5 inch stern gun
Two 37 mm bow guns
Six 20 mm machine guns http://www.usmm.org/libertyships.html

Growler
06-04-07, 11:19 AM
Yeah, the convoys are far from helpless the later on in the war it gets. PROTIP: "Dead in the wter" might just be us if we take too much for granted.

Some good tips given above. Most importantly, know how to use the DG yourself, and know your sub's limits. For example, if you can get in close to a wallowing C3, I don't care what kind of armament he's got, he just can't get the declination necessary to hit you.

Oh, and don't ever get in a surface duel with battleships. They hate when you do that, and will protest loudly. Their arguments are usually pretty compelling, too.

Henri II
06-04-07, 11:51 AM
What works best for me, is when I aim the deck gun myself and shoot from long range (3000-5000 m). At that distance the merchant gunners usually don't stand a chance, especially if I run at flank speed and present only the bow as a target, i.e. running towards or away from them.

Foghladh_mhara
06-04-07, 11:52 AM
Think I'll just torpedo them. I didn't realise the Liberties were so well armed. And the Whale Factory Ship was just carelessness on my part. I spotted the machine guns on his forecastle through the scope but missed the side firing ones in the masts. Gave me a hell of a fright :D

KeptinCranky
06-04-07, 05:13 PM
Growler
I'm having this mental picture of you in your Type IIa going flank speed straight at a King George V from 6km out blasting away with your Flak gun going "Take that you big Hulking Mother...!!" dakka dakka dakka... :arrgh!:

your shells would patter off its armor like so much gentle rain.....

so the Admiral on that ship says to his Captain:
"that thing is ruining our paintjob, kindly remove it from my ocean, please, it's impudence disturbs me. I think I'll go have a nap now <yawn>"

Captain: "Aye sir, XO, one broadside for that little canoe if you would be so kind?"

XO: "aye aye sir! FIRE MAIN BATTERY!"

KERFOOOM

and it ends up with you being credited as the first commanding officer to reach earth orbit and also being posthumously made the head of the new German Space Program.

maybe they'll name a new medal after you?
:D

Jimbuna
06-05-07, 05:41 AM
The first two ships I avoid surface engagements with (in order of game appearance) are the Empire and the Liberty :nope:

IrischKapitan
06-05-07, 08:51 AM
Once when i was patroling the med in late '41, there was the biggest storm ever, i decided to surface because my betteries were nearly dead , tinking that i wouldnt be spotted in the weather. Two hours later the storm calmed all of a sudden and fog rolled in as quickly as the storm had stoped, cursing my luck and quarter charged batteries i sailed on a 10kts, suddenly the WO screams 'Ship spotted!!' and then 'Were Under Attack!' On the Bridge a C2 Cargo appeared out of no where :damn: Less than 350m away it started plugging away at me with his 4inch deck gun, luckily it missed, i crash dived, then back up to periscope depth and rammed 2 fish into its side for its impudence :lol:

Growler
06-05-07, 09:56 AM
Growler
I'm having this mental picture of you in your Type IIa going flank speed straight at a King George V from 6km out blasting away with your Flak gun going "Take that you big Hulking Mother...!!" dakka dakka dakka... :arrgh!:

"that thing is ruining our paintjob, kindly remove it from my ocean, please, it's impudence disturbs me. I think I'll go have a nap now <yawn>"

Captain: "Aye sir, XO, one broadside for that little canoe if you would be so kind?"

KERFOOOM

and it ends up with you being credited as the first commanding officer to reach earth orbit and also being posthumously made the head of the new German Space Program.

:rotfl::rotfl:

Holy cow, that made my day, Cranky... as in, "that made my day funnier, thank you, KepitanCranky" not, "that made my day cranky, KepitanCranky"... eh... you know what I mean.:D

The only thing you missed was blasting Wagner's Ride of The Valkyries at full volume as "inspiration" for the U-equivalent of Pickett's Charge.

KeptinCranky
06-05-07, 04:34 PM
:rotfl:

your welcome, and yes some music would have made it better,

makes me think of Kelly's Heroes too, with the huge speakers on the shermans :D

edit; I'm sparky now? oh well :D

Growler
06-06-07, 01:39 AM
:rotfl:

your welcome, and yes some music would have made it better,

makes me think of Kelly's Heroes too, with the huge speakers on the shermans :D

edit; I'm sparky now? oh well :D

PAINT SHELLS!! CRANKY, YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!:know::up:
: "We have these special shells, they're filled with paint. Makes pretty pictures; scares the hell outta people."

As for the typo in Keptin... beh. I can't spell without at least a half-liter of coffee in me. Apologies.

Cerberus
06-06-07, 01:18 PM
Growler

KERFOOOM

Firing a main armament broadside at a 'canoe' would give new meaning to the phrase 'overkill'

I suspect that a full broadside from one of those things would be heavier than the canoe.

KeptinCranky
06-06-07, 01:28 PM
Yes, you may very well be right, I'll try to find out how much one of those 16' shell weighs :D but how the hell else will the explosion send him into orbit? :D that needs a lot of boom!

You know the sheer sound alone might ruin the admiral's nap :nope: :D

Sailor Steve
06-06-07, 04:37 PM
Even a broadside from Yamato (which had the heaviest) only weighed about 15 tons. The explosive power, on the other hand, probably wouldn't blow a type II into the air, but one shell might blow it in half.

Growler
06-06-07, 06:15 PM
Even a broadside from Yamato (which had the heaviest) only weighed about 15 tons. The explosive power, on the other hand, probably wouldn't blow a type II into the air, but one shell might blow it in half.

And in either case, I don't think anyone on the Type II will be complaining much.

KeptinCranky
06-06-07, 07:00 PM
15 tons, :o that's still an awful lot of explosives but I agree, probably not enough to launch a submerged sub into the air :D if properly straddled by such a broadside there wouldn't be all that much left of it though so indeed no complainers.

Genghis Khan
06-07-07, 03:35 AM
I don't see any sense in firing at greater ranges than 1000 meters in GWX.First,you get yourself compromised.Second,you'll waste a damn lots of "HE" rounds to finish the ship.Third,it's a good chance somebody of the deck crew gets killed.

It's always better to do a stealth approach at periscope depth,and to perform a precise torpedo attack. :) :up:

Kpt. Lehmann
06-07-07, 03:47 AM
I don't see any sense in firing at greater ranges than 1000 meters in GWX.First,you get yourself compromised.Second,you'll waste a damn lots of "HE" rounds to finish the ship.Third,it's a good chance somebody of the deck crew gets killed.

It's always better to do a stealth approach at periscope depth,and to perform a precise torpedo attack. :) :up:

Bingo!

For these reasons you state above, the old debate about deck gun rate of fire is pointless!:D

What should happen if we have properly approximated the evolution of the U-boat war... is that it becomes inadviseable to use the deck gun... and demonstrates the reason why they were omitted from U-boats as the war progressed... but at the same time allow the player to retain the freedom to keep and use it... at his own risk.

Genghis Khan
06-07-07, 03:57 AM
Bingo!

For these reasons you state above, the old debate about deck gun rate of fire is pointless!:D

What should happen if we have properly approximated the evolution of the U-boat war... is that it becomes inadviseable to use the deck gun... and demonstrates the reason why they were omitted from U-boats as the war progressed... but at the same time allow the player to retain the freedom to keep and use it... at his own risk.

You are absolutely right.The main purpose of deck gun is to earn extra tonnage during years 1939 - early 1941.And that is all.

Of course,there are pleasant occassions sometimes.For example,if you encounter an Elco torpedo boat,or a fishing boat and would like to show them what the real weapon is supposed to be. :D

Kpt. Lehmann
06-07-07, 04:32 AM
Bingo!

You are absolutely right.The main purpose of deck gun is to earn extra tonnage during years 1939 - early 1941.And that is all.

Of course,there are pleasant occassions sometimes.For example,if you encounter an Elco torpedo boat,or a fishing boat and would like to show them what the real weapon is supposed to be. :D

True... but those Elcos can really hurt you too. Try one, and you'll see what I mean!;) You'll probably sink it... but you will want to sail home afterwards.

Genghis Khan
06-07-07, 05:35 AM
True... but those Elcos can really hurt you too. Try one, and you'll see what I mean!;) You'll probably sink it... but you will want to sail home afterwards.

I have already done this in GWX (Mid 1940,Type IXB U-123) in Liverpool Bay.All they can do is to dock aside and keep firing rapidly with their machine gun.
Damage is not significant,6 or 7 percents to the total Hull Integrity during several minutes of such "metal raining".However,2 or 3 rounds of 105 mm deck gun just wipe them off the sea surface.Though,I must admit,I don't switch on fully realistic damage. :)

Kpt. Lehmann
06-07-07, 06:20 AM
[quote=Kpt. Lehmann]Though,I must admit,I don't switch on fully realistic damage. :)

Awww, come on now! ;) It makes life so much more interesting... and intense!

Jimbuna
06-07-07, 07:41 AM

I have already done this in GWX (Mid 1940,Type IXB U-123) in Liverpool Bay.All they can do is to dock aside and keep firing rapidly with their machine gun.
Damage is not significant,6 or 7 percents to the total Hull Integrity during several minutes of such "metal raining".However,2 or 3 rounds of 105 mm deck gun just wipe them off the sea surface.Though,I must admit,I don't switch on fully realistic damage. :)

I find your post a little strange kaleun :hmm:

Many are the times I have destroyed an Elco with only a few percentage point drops in my hull integrity.....but often with the added deficit of losing one or two members of the gun crew or bridge watch :yep:

Your boat obviously leads a charmed life :lol: :up:

Canovaro
06-07-07, 07:51 AM
SH3 is all about being the sneaky bastard. :yep:

Growler
06-07-07, 12:10 PM
[quote=Kpt. Lehmann]Though,I must admit,I don't switch on fully realistic damage. :)
Awww, come on now! ;) It makes life so much more interesting... and intense!

You forgot one...

...and short!:o:D

Genghis Khan
06-08-07, 03:34 AM
Your boat obviously leads a charmed life :lol: :up:

Yes,of course.As I said in "The Exclusive Type IX Club" thread,U-123 is just immortal.Even after lying on the bottom,I will blow balast,surface,and sink them all.:D :up: