PDA

View Full Version : Some Noob questions

looney
06-03-07, 06:55 AM
I'm on my second career, 1st was with auto aim and map updates, this new on I'm usingManual TDC and no map updates. As it is my 2nd patrol (1st patrol manual tdc was off I somehow misclicked, same with map updates) I now torped 2 small merchants costing me 3 torps. I'm in a IIa sub it's hard to overtake them. And thus I need to be on the surface with engines at max speed.

My question is at what range does the merchant see me, as both spotted me and I was forced to dive and pray for a hit... wich worked :)

My second question: I read something about a 1st patrol issue and why I shouldn't upgrade anything. What's this about?

3th I have 1500 reknown to spent at start of my career should I get a 200 reknown guy or get free ones and save the reknown?

4th and last ... for now :) I'm back at home port and I can wait 1 more patrol ( I should have enuf reknown for a VIIB or get me a IID now?

P.s. am playing stock version (only changed some *.tga files used for tracking) with lastest patch.

TarJak
06-03-07, 07:15 AM
I'm on my second career, 1st was with auto aim and map updates, this new on I'm usingManual TDC and no map updates. As it is my 2nd patrol (1st patrol manual tdc was off I somehow misclicked, same with map updates) I now torped 2 small merchants costing me 3 torps. I'm in a IIa sub it's hard to overtake them. And thus I need to be on the surface with engines at max speed.

hi looney and welcome to subsim!

My question is at what range does the merchant see me, as both spotted me and I was forced to dive and pray for a hit... wich worked :)
In stock you should be able to get to within around 1200m at slow ahead on a dark (no moon) night before they can see you even in calms conditions. You can get closer again if they are a noob enemy crew but less than taht if they are elite.

My second question: I read something about a 1st patrol issue and why I shouldn't upgrade anything. What's this about? Some people have complained of crashes if they change equipment on patrol 1. An easy way around this is to use patrol one as a shake down cruise to test that everything works then return to base.

3th I have 1500 reknown to spent at start of my career should I get a 200 reknown guy or get free ones and save the reknown?I'd get one good officer for the first patrol to help out when fatigue sets in. Put him in the comrpartment when you want to boost efficiency a bit, but rest him for most of the journey. If he has repair qualifications get him!

4th and last ... for now :) I'm back at home port and I can wait 1 more patrol ( I should have enuf reknown for a VIIB or get me a IID now?What do you want to do? Patrol the North Sea in a canoe or get amongst it with the big boys in the Atlantic?

P.s. am playing stock version (only changed some *.tga files used for tracking) with lastest patch.Get GWX after this career and experience the difference!

Gute Jagd!

Jimbuna
06-03-07, 07:45 AM
Can't disagree with anything TarJak has stated but you need that VIIB to be able to travel beyond your 'front garden' and see what's out there :yep:
Don't be in too big a rush to get GWX :nope: There's a world of difference between that and stock :yep: Get used to the game first, and besides....v1.04 will be released sooner rather than later ;)

looney
06-03-07, 07:57 AM
Tnx guys I'll get GWX soon (after 1.04 is released I think).

I lied a bit :) I saw just now... I saved the game still on patrol and bagged me a C2 making it a total of 11k tons. I could get VII b4 2nd patrol cause I planted a Flak gun on my IIA.

He came to me so all I had to do was get his track (and I screwed up there) still made a good guess on range (using stady meter (lousy bit of equipment) AoB and speed) I aimed for the sweet spot (front on superstructure) launched 1 fish at 0 gyro, locked scope waited till gyro said 355 fired 2nd fish.
Result: Fish 1: hit just aft of smokestack..
Fish 2: hit under 2nd mast of front due to ship breaking in 2 seconds b4.

Resulting me having 3.1k reknown enuf for a nice VIIB... and the better hydrophone I need the speed :)

Packerton
06-03-07, 09:06 AM
Dont spend too much Renown on upgrades however, You wanna have some spare if you plan on getting an XXI before the end of the war :D

And Welcome to Subsim Kaleun!