PDA

View Full Version : ESP and damage to destroyers

UnSalted
06-01-07, 12:32 AM
Ever scared a destroyer to death? I was trying to sneak into position for a photo this evening and was about 1/2 mile from getting to just the right spot when a destroyer spotted me. Anyway I was at 200 feet so the first DCs didn't do much damage except the deck/AA guns. He went off for a little quiet time and we sat each other out before he starts back uo and heads back straight for me. So I waited until he was a couple of hundred yards from crossing over me and hit the gas to get a little seperation at least.

I took a peak at the camera view to see if he was going to use a few rear end roll offs or his launchers too and shazzam, one side of the ship blossomed into a fireball and it started slowing. I got to watch a Japanese destroyer burn up and nosedive for the bottom from what could only have been a malfunction in a DC on a launcher.

Yeah I'm bad but I doubt if my maneuvering scared him to death so the question is...are accidents such as DC explosions programmed into their ships as well as our subs or is my copy of SHIV haunted? Anybody else seen one destroyed with no obvious actions involved other than Allied aircraft in the area?

Tronics
06-01-07, 05:00 AM
The soviet (or italian...I cant remember) destroyers in GWX used to blow themselves up sometimes...it had something to do with those odd depthcharge launchers that rolled off of the mid section of the ship slightly aft of the tower.

Whenever they set shallow ones it would damage their own ship and sometimes just explode catastropically.

kikn79
06-01-07, 06:38 AM
I've had that happen to me, too. Funniest thing ever. He was making a run at my 'scope and @ 100yds, I decided it was time to crash dive. Switched to outside camera to watch him blow me up, and just as he was going over me, his aft end blew up and he was history. My crew and I about wet ourselves laughing.

Chuck

UnSalted
06-01-07, 07:33 AM
Greatest game ever. It even knows when the gamers are in need of some luck. :)

SteamWake
06-01-07, 08:31 AM
I want to know how he gets the recon missions with 200! of water to manuver in !

I usually get bottom scrapers !

longam
06-01-07, 09:50 AM
And huge rocks everywhere

UnSalted
06-01-07, 12:14 PM
OK....goto your map and look at the Palau Islands. You'll find two harbors, Koror on the west coast and Meleleok on the east.

The Meleleok photo mission had the exploding DC. The way in is all deep water. This was my seond time there. The first time there no naval vessels at all. I went in on the surface, took the picture and cruised out. This time once the destroyer toasted itself, I went in submerged and got pics of a freighter, a sub chaser and a gunboat. The chaser/gunboat were tied up to the piers while the freighter was agound south of them.

Korok was a bear, period. The mission was to photo the battleship fleet and it's like fishing a mudflat in there. Went in from the west over the sand bar seperating the pockets of deep water SW and NW of the harbor. Once I cleared that short run I watched the destroyers for a couple of hours looking for a pattern. There were 5, yes 5, patroling close to the harbor.I saw it would be "easier" to go south until I was almost due west and then try to sneak in behind two that were patrolling in a SW-NE loop. I timed them, got in as close as I could and went in after them at 3 knots until the scope locked in on a battleship. Then I cussed because I had to get back out of there and had to leave a Yamato at anchor 8000 yards away. But my love of breathing made me back out at 3 knots, play possum until the destroyers had started their loop over again and then turned to take the same way out.

As I got about a mile south of that little sandbar to get back to open water, here comes two more destroyers herding a pair of liners with a third destroyer behind them.

That put me and 8 ASW ships in the same location. Once I hit open ocean I had a beer to celebrate and cussed some more about leaving those targets. But the DD blowing itself up is still funny as all getout.

I may go back on this patrol to see if any targets are still there.

Mudrik
06-01-07, 12:25 PM
And huge rocks everywhere - Luckily you can run straight through them.

I've had destroyers which seem to have malfunctioning DCs which have detonated prematurely and blown all of the other DCs off the back of the ship. It's at this point that a huge grin appears on my face and I know that I can escape unhindered as long as I remain submerged.

SteamWake
06-01-07, 12:27 PM
And huge rocks everywhere

As said above the rocks wont damage the sub.

There is actually a mod for smaller rocks if you would like... uhh... smaller rocks.

UnSalted
06-01-07, 12:56 PM
I'm glad the developers never put in a suitable sound for squealing hulls riding over boulders or the sound of hydrophones being ripped off.

orangenee
06-01-07, 01:02 PM
They certainly modelled the squeaking as a DD scrapes the paintwork off the side of your boat.

UnSalted
06-01-07, 01:08 PM
Point. I wish those guys would learn how to steer those things.

switch.dota
06-01-07, 05:20 PM
They certainly modelled the squeaking as a DD scrapes the paintwork off the side of your boat.
With some luck that's all a DD collision will do to you.

By the way, ramming a destroyer is a viable solution if you're out of torpedoes. Just make sure you have damage crews on ready status and nobody in the fore torp room. 3 out of 4 times, ramming a destroyer abeam will split it in half with some major damage to your hull. 1 out of 4 times you'll both be going under. It's a gamble but it's better than being DCed to death.

Run flank underwater, evade the DCs to the best of your ability, surface and ram the DDs flank. I've been able to basically jump out of the water (emergency surface) directly next to a DD... only to find myself on the other side within seconds. Surpringly I only took minor damage compared to what I would've expected. Some flooding but damage crew fixed it. Heavy fog also meant the other 2 DDs couldn't get a long shot on me and I was able to make a run for it. To estimate the damage... bulkhead almost out of comission and most fore system heavily damaged. Flooding was under control... all in all a walk away situation.