PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes TOO good and TOO early!!

johnm
05-31-07, 02:23 PM
Using GWX and 1.03 with minor mods

I've just started yet another career in sept 1939 (don't blame me, I keep getting killed!).

When sailing around north Scotland, Orkneys and Western Isles I keep getting jumped by MK IIC Hurricanes. Apart from the fact that Mk IIC didn't exist before 1941 (Mk IIC were the first ones with 2 20mm cannons:know:)
They also appear to have a range of over 5k!!

The Hurricanes in 1939 were Mk I's with 8 .303 browning machine guns usually set to converge at 200-800 yards.

These beasts are knocking seven bells out of my pressure hull at dfistances over 2 kilometres (roughly 2000 yards!). To add insult to injury they also appear at night! Too many carrots?

I mean - fair dos - I don't mind being depthcharged by destroyers, shelled by cruisers or even annoyed by mine sweepers but futuristic aircraft with massive firepower (I think they use cruise missiles!) ??? It's not on!!!

:damn:

Brag
05-31-07, 02:41 PM
Good practice for crash diving. They'll get worse later on :rotfl: :rotfl:

KeybdFlyer
05-31-07, 02:56 PM
A man after my own heart, johnm! Do you also find yourself picking (large) holes in 90% of TV documentaries with their inaccurate narration and/or stock footage? I recently watched one on the Military Channel where the "Aviation History Expert" was examining camera-gun footage from German records as they shot-up American B-17s, except that the aircraft we were watching were B-24s! Yet he repeatedly referred to B-17s and the WWII B-17 gunner who was sitting with him did exactly the same thing. As for the Hurricanes? Ok - so the game isn't 100% accurate and I appreciate your point(s). The real point though is to do as advised (lol) - see an aircraft? DIVE!

bigboywooly
05-31-07, 05:09 PM
Are you sure it was the IIC ?
The mk I uses 20 mm too as there are no .303 in game

johnm
05-31-07, 05:36 PM
Yes, definately IIC's

The original hurricane mk I was built with four machine guns only but was upgraded with eight Browning .303 machineguns after tests. The 20mm cannon was first fitted to the IIC, the IID had two 40mm cannons.

The .303 ammunition was basically rifle ammunition

ReallyDedPoet
05-31-07, 05:47 PM
These beasts are knocking seven bells out of my pressure hull at dfistances over 2 kilometres (roughly 2000 yards!). To add insult to injury they also appear at night! Too many carrots?

Above us hell :yep:

RDP

bigboywooly
05-31-07, 05:54 PM
Yes, definately IIC's

The original hurricane mk I was built with four machine guns only but was upgraded with eight Browning .303 machineguns after tests. The 20mm cannon was first fitted to the IIC, the IID had two 40mm cannons.

The .303 ammunition was basically rifle ammunition

Hmmm odd as my airbases show the mk I Hurricane not the mkIIC
As I said earlier there is no 303 in game so the MkI will have 20mm guns as its the smallest there are to use

Schöneboom
05-31-07, 06:23 PM
Looks like the dev team had to choose just one mark of Hurricane to last the whole war, hence the later cannon armament. I suppose if one were really clever, there might be a way to substitute machine guns from one of the other planes -- but they've have to be fixed guns, not the movable kind (assuming the code indicates that difference).

In any case... Alaaaarm!!!

Paajtor
05-31-07, 06:41 PM
Can the rate of fire be decreased, for the 20mm? To make up for the lack of .3.03's in early-war.

Kpt. Lehmann
05-31-07, 06:54 PM
Can the rate of fire be decreased, for the 20mm? To make up for the lack of .3.03's in early-war.

No, because it would cause a cascade problem effect of weapon damage vs damage model in many other places... such as ship vs sub.

bigboywooly
05-31-07, 11:43 PM
IIRC Serg was working on .303 guns for his airpower mod part 2
Until then they dont exist so cant be used
PITA but meh

Vacillator
06-01-07, 10:34 AM
Yeah I've seen a lot of IIcs as well but so far have not been damaged by one as I hit C immediately and avoid them.

So I guess if these minor irritations can't be changed, we (try to) live with them.

Jimbuna
06-01-07, 10:42 AM
That reminds me!....need to check the number of rivets, or was it bolts today? :hmm:

bigboywooly
06-01-07, 10:49 AM
Yeah I've seen a lot of IIcs as well but so far have not been damaged by one as I hit C immediately and avoid them.

So I guess if these minor irritations can't be changed, we (try to) live with them.

The IIC showing before 41 is easy fixed and in my files none show that early
Will recheck for 1.04

johnm
06-01-07, 02:20 PM
Tried another patrol - starting 21/12/1939

jumped by two hurricanes in AN14 on 24th December 14:36 - early christmas present. Definately IIC. I crash dived.

Incidentally I mostly crashdive on sighting planes. Sometimes I fight them but only if I've survived long enough to get double or quad barrelled flak guns!

KeptinCranky
06-01-07, 04:51 PM
Hurris are annoying yes, mainly because they can strip your hull integrity real quick, but at least the early ones don't drop bombs as well, personally I find getting jumped by ansons when I've just left the norwegian coast a lot more annoying, or getting bombed by a group of 4 wellingtons, now that's a shock the first time it happens :o

JScones
06-01-07, 10:09 PM
Tried another patrol - starting 21/12/1939

jumped by two hurricanes in AN14 on 24th December 14:36 - early christmas present. Definately IIC. I crash dived.
I'm afraid that if you are going to be this pedantic with the Hurricane then you are going to be a very disappointed camper with SH3 in general.

You see, SH3 is not a flight sim. It has limitations in regards to aircraft. Sure, modders can clone multiple versions of each plane and tweak them to be an exact replica of each actual model or variant, but is it worth adding 10 variations of each plane to the game, especially when each one impacts load performance?

No, so compromises are made. And in this case, the original developers (this is an SH3 thing, not a GWX thing) have used a Hurricane IIC to essentially replicate all Hurricane models.

This means canons before 1941, but it also means canons after 1941.

FWIW I don't even want to see a Hurricane in game prior to 1941 as it's not renown for undertaking an ASW role (due to its .303 armament) and there are other planes in GWX, like the Anson, that did perform this role so wouldn't look as out of place. But again, compromises are made especially with the Hurricane due to its usage by many other countries.

So, as others have said, if you see one, dive. ;)

johnm
06-06-07, 12:01 PM
To JScones

I originally noticed the IICs because of the damage they caused.

I pointed it out, in case it could be fixed. If it can't then that's life, at least SH3 life.

I added a further post in reply to BBW.

Penelope_Grey
06-06-07, 12:16 PM
I have a few rules I use against aircraft. Though generally these are not fixed rigid.

Rule 1: If am in any U-Boat and one lone plane wants to get him some, I will fight, provided the sea is 2m/s or less.

Rule 2: If I am in a VII, and more than one aircraft comes, I dive.

Rule 3: If I am in a IX I will dive if the sea is too rough for anything.

Rule 4: IF I am in a IX and planes come, I will fight them off then dive.

Rule 5: If I see a Sunderland, I dive immaterial of the boat used. lol