PDA

View Full Version : GWX Convoy Intercept

btaft
05-30-07, 11:46 AM
I just wanted to give Kudos to the GWX team for really tweaking the AI. Last night I attempted to intercept my first convoy. I figured I would try some of my old techniques. I was able to get myself into a good position with a calm sea, at about high noon. I couldn't keep my scope up for more than a few seconds without it attracting gun fire, also the buoyancy made me keep things moving.:up:

Aside from my attempt being a complete failure I loved the fact that this mod forces me to use real world tactics (i.e. attacking during the day time with calm seas is considered a bad approach). It is much better to shadow until night fall and then execute the attack.

Good Job GWX team!

Jimbuna
05-30-07, 11:58 AM
I'm sure the guys will appreciate you kind words :up:

SINK EM ALL!! :arrgh!:

Brag
05-30-07, 12:03 PM
Yup!

In daytime attacks you raise the scope once, to fire torpedoes. Down scope and scoot out.:huh:

ReallyDedPoet
05-30-07, 12:05 PM
Aside from my attempt being a complete failure I loved the fact that this mod forces me to use real world tactics (i.e. attacking during the day time with calm seas is considered a bad approach). It is much better to shadow until night fall and then execute the attack.
Good Job GWX team!

This is a nice touch in GWX :yep:

RDP

SmokinTep
05-30-07, 12:37 PM
I had to regroup after I went for a Covoy after loading GWX...........:yep:

Canovaro
05-30-07, 01:17 PM
Same for me the other day, good ambush, but torpedoes missed, my speed calculation must have been wrong. Got out alive, so I'm smiling anyway. Let's flank them for another try! :arrgh!:

I couldn't keep my scope up for more than a few seconds without it attracting gun fire, also the buoyancy made me keep things moving.:up:

Just a question: how did you know you couldn't keep the scope up for no more than a few seconds without attracting gun fire?

btaft
05-30-07, 02:51 PM
Just a question: how did you know you couldn't keep the scope up for no more than a few seconds without attracting gun fire?

Mainly the sound of gunfire zooming past me and occasional "were taking damage":D

In hindsight, it may have been my sail poking through the water. Though I am fairly certain that it was when I was trying to keep the scope up for a little bit in order to get the first mark for the speed calc

Mr.Elendig
05-30-07, 05:59 PM
In calm weather I always run a bit deeper than periscope dept. Specialy when running at less than 3 knot

TarJak
06-01-07, 06:06 AM
Took me about 6 tries to and a bot of reading here to get inside a convoy proper and wreak the normal havoc. Hated dying but enjoyed the lessons.:know:

SmokinTep
06-01-07, 06:11 AM
Had a good run at a covoy last night. Sank 2 huge ships then got out of dodge.