PDA

View Full Version : Torps make no visual damage

Shyzar
05-26-07, 07:53 PM
I just raided a port on the north coast of Honshu. There was a medium merchant sitting around. I fired torps at it and none of them caused visual damage,it should have taken one torp, two at most (I have the 1.5x torp mod) but it took TEN!
Not one caused visual damage. I heard before that torps like this still causes the same amount of damage than when it causes visual damage. But this suggests otherwise, is this a bug?

CaptainHaplo
05-26-07, 08:00 PM
Were you using influence or contact torps? The influence setting (which is reversed in 1.2 I think) actually can cause this by detonating as soon as it reaches the theoretical magnetic field around ths ship - in essence - the torp goes boom right before it gets to the target - meaning that very little damage is applied. On detonation, the damage radius is determined - and that often puts the target outside the damage area - result - minimal or no damage.

Try using contact torps and see if your results improve.

Shyzar
05-26-07, 08:03 PM
Were you using influence or contact torps? The influence setting (which is reversed in 1.2 I think) actually can cause this by detonating as soon as it reaches the theoretical magnetic field around ths ship - in essence - the torp goes boom right before it gets to the target - meaning that very little damage is applied. On detonation, the damage radius is determined - and that often puts the target outside the damage area - result - minimal or no damage.

Try using contact torps and see if your results improve.

II'll try it. But I doubt it will work because in my other carreer, I always left it at influence and never had a torp that didn't cause visual damage once.

Cap'n Crabs
05-26-07, 08:34 PM
I don't know about that mod, but do you have the 3d damage slider on in the game options ?

Shyzar
05-26-07, 08:35 PM
I don't know about that mod, but do you have the 3d damage slider on in the game options ?

Yes, highest it can go

Cap'n Crabs
05-26-07, 08:59 PM
Seems awhile back, there was someone else that had a problem sinking ships in port. I can't remember.
But I do know that I do not get visible damage on each and every hit. I don't know what ship it is, but there is one that I never seem to get holes in it.

Some it seem to depend on the area the torpedo hits. :-?

Maybe try disabling the mod to narrow it down.

switch.dota
05-27-07, 02:53 AM
Were you using influence or contact torps? The influence setting (which is reversed in 1.2 I think) .

What exactly do you mean by that?

GTHammer
05-27-07, 03:38 AM
When you open the Position Keeper/ Torpedo Settings tab you have the option of setting each torpedo to detonate by contact or contact+influence. Contact is pretty much self explanitory. When the torpedo strikes the hull of the target ship, it will detonate. Contact+influence setting has the torpedos detonate on contact as well as if they detect the magnetic field generated by the ships hull. This way a torpedo can be set to run a few feet below the ship and explode when directly under the keel. According to the manual this is the way to achieve maxium damage with a single torpedo, however it warns that when setting torpedos to contact+influence they may be less reliable.(IE. Premature detonations) Hope this helps.

CaptainHaplo
05-27-07, 08:50 AM
Were you using influence or contact torps? The influence setting (which is reversed in 1.2 I think) .

Switch, what I mean is I believe that the switch for impact vs influence in patch 1.2 is reversed. If you have it set to contact, its really an influence setting and vice versa. Not sure, but I seem to recall that everyone was unhappy with that when 1.2 came out. Perhaps someone could confirm or correct me?

switch.dota
05-27-07, 08:59 AM
GTHammer, thanks for the explenation. I already knew about contact/influence detonation and was inquiring on what CaptainHaplo meant with the reversed setting in 1.2.

Switch, what I mean is I believe that the switch for impact vs influence in patch 1.2 is reversed. If you have it set to contact, its really an influence setting and vice versa. Not sure, but I seem to recall that everyone was unhappy with that when 1.2 came out. Perhaps someone could confirm or correct me?
I'm pretty sure Contact + Influence works. At least it does for me. Well either that or the torpedoes explode by magic while underneath a large tanker's hull.

On topic tho, I noticed that I just sunk a large freighter in one torpedo, set to run at 6m, contact+influence. It sank nose first very fast (much faster than other ships I've seen). Looking at it up close with the external camera, I could see no visible damage ok the sinking ship. I know the torpedo hit just below the funnel ... or at least that's where the large splash was.

After seeing that I took note of other ships. It seems that there are some predefined damage areas and if you hit anywhere else there's no 'hole' in the hull.

loreed
05-28-07, 02:04 AM
I have had the same thing happen with trops set to contact, as a matter of fact, it happens a lot. Good example was last patrol, two hits on a large tanker, one fore, one aft ,both torps set to contact, one had a damage graphic, the other didn't. THe ship sank so I was happy.:sunny:

Trevally.
05-28-07, 05:25 AM
This no damage issue happened to me. I would only ever see damage if i hit the center of a target. I un-installed the game (not save games) and re-installed and patched to 1.2.
Now I see damage to bow and stern hits. Also my deck gun blows holes in a target which didn't happen before I re-installed.

switch.dota
05-28-07, 08:21 AM
This no damage issue happened to me. I would only ever see damage if i hit the center of a target. I un-installed the game (not save games) and re-installed and patched to 1.2.
Now I see damage to bow and stern hits. Also my deck gun blows holes in a target which didn't happen before I re-installed.
I honestly doubt that reinstalling had any effect.

CaptainHaplo
05-28-07, 08:26 AM
Results speak for themselves on reinstall. Its a common, though last-ditch effort to make the game work right, and has been effective.

I have noted than influence explosions also do not seem to cause the damage graphic to display as reliably as contact only. And if you explode a torp under the keel, there is no graphic ever displayed. I think they didn't make it available there.

Trevally.
05-28-07, 09:32 AM
Perhaps you are right Switch, that a re-install was not what fixed the damage graphics.

All I know is that I was seeing screen shots (on this forum) of damage to bow, stern and deck gun damage. This was not happening in my game as I said center damage only.

On the off chance, I un-installed, re-installed patch1.2 and mod files.
Continued the game from my last save and now I see more damage effects.

Was re-install the fix? I dont know but now its fixed.