PDA

View Full Version : HMS Venturer vs. U-864 on Science Channel

Beery
05-26-07, 07:37 PM
I'm watching this show on Science Channel or Discovery Science right now - it's very good and makes me wish SH4 modelled British subs - the HMS Venturer looks totally cool!

ATR-42
05-26-07, 08:19 PM
Good call Beery! i was just about to post this very topic! i just set up my DVR since im at work, this is a GREAT SHOW i cant wait to see it!

for those of you on the east coast it should be on discovery at midnight tonight, May 27 and May 27th at 12 Noon as well!

AVGWarhawk
05-26-07, 09:34 PM
I caught the tailend! Would liked to have seen it all!

Beery
05-26-07, 09:57 PM
The only problem with the show was (as usual) the narrator, who insisted on mis-pronouncing 'Venturer' every single time he said it.

Great show though - proper Germans playing the U-boat crew, proper Britons playing the British. Nice graphics, but not up to The History Channel's "Dogfights" show or SH4 standards. The best bits were the scenes inside the British sub and those in the German U-boat. We also got to see the German U-boat memorial which is quite impressive.

Crosseye76
05-27-07, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the Heads up ! I've got the DVR set to record it. :up:

perisher
05-27-07, 05:13 AM
HMS Venturer looks totally cool!

Considering they were a cheap and easy to build wartime design the V boats did look good. They, and the earlier Us, with their relatively light armament and short range, would be excellent for a sim. Short patrols, with short passage times, get to the action quickly. Small crews, that tended to stay together for a year or more, so you can really get to know your men. Nine or more patrols in a year was not uncommon. A greater emphasis on attacking enemy warships and, especially submarines. More use of the gun, especially in the Med. I love the idea of shooting up trains. (Blocking a major Italian rail line for a week could cost the Afrika Korps 100,000 tons of supplies.)

Lagger123987
05-27-07, 09:02 AM
The first sub vs sub battle ever?

perisher
05-27-07, 04:41 PM

No, there were many sub against sub actions in both World Wars. This was the first one in which a submerged sub took out another submerged sub. It is also the only time this has happened, so far...

boatfull
05-27-07, 06:29 PM
2nd time I've seen that(Great program)

Still hard to believe how they did it but they did
up with the Brits:up:

TheBrauerHour
05-27-07, 06:32 PM
Very good program, my wife actually watched it with me.

V.C. Sniper
05-27-07, 06:38 PM
:up: Saw it. Awesome insight into this extraodinary event. A+

Love the graphics, thought not as good as Silent Hunter 4 and the 1337 History Channel's "Dogfights" series

Shipwreck
05-27-07, 09:52 PM
That was a very cool doc. :up: Flipping through channels when I came across it.

SW

Reaves
05-27-07, 09:59 PM
It would be great if UBI made expansions for SH4 allowing differant nations boats. All the U-boaters would be happy with the German expansion, and i'd certainly buy the British subpack. Maybe they could even add a few Dutch and Japanese ones in.

Always liked the idea of midget subs.

Beery
05-28-07, 12:31 AM

No, there were many sub against sub actions in both World Wars. This was the first one in which a submerged sub took out another submerged sub. It is also the only time this has happened, so far...

Hang on... surely the Americans did it in U-571.

Uber Gruber
05-28-07, 04:54 AM
Hang on... surely the Americans did it in U-571.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

God bless the historians that work for Follywood.....