PDA

View Full Version : Metric or Imperial?

Vorkapitan
05-23-07, 12:46 PM
Hi All,

For accuracy reasons, is it better to use metric or imperial?

I have heard that their are inaccuracies with imperial measurements.

Thanks.

GT182
05-23-07, 12:49 PM
I imagine there are inaccuracies with either. But seeing imperial was used during the war by the US, I prefer imperial myself. I don't need metric crammed down my throat any more than it already is. ;)

the_belgian
05-23-07, 12:59 PM
Although European and former SH,SH2 and 3 player i take a sim as close to real life as i can handle so;Imperial.
(i had,for the first two missions,that is,a little paper next to the pc with a list of imp./metr. comparisons :|\\ )

NefariousKoel
05-23-07, 01:09 PM
Metric is more accurate since with Imperial: The stadimeter and torpedo depth settings still use metric, and not Imperial as they should so your Range to Target will be off by a bit and the Depth Settings will be in Meters and not Feet. :x

I still use Imperial but I have to drag the Stadimeter down an extra 10% or so below where I'd normal click it on vessels.

Chrall
05-23-07, 01:17 PM
I use metric beacause that's what I'm used to. Many don't think that's realistic, but at the same time I don't find it realistic that I have to convert every measurement in my head. Doubt USN would recruit one who doesn't know how long 10ft really is.:know:

In the end it's just measurements, I think you should use whatever you are most fond of.

Sailor Steve
05-23-07, 04:41 PM
I don't care about accuracy of measurement, I care about accuracy of experience. SH3, I use metric; don't care if I can convert in my head or not. SH1 & SH4, it's Imperial for me.

NefariousKoel
05-23-07, 08:21 PM
I don't care about accuracy of measurement, I care about accuracy of experience. SH3, I use metric; don't care if I can convert in my head or not. SH1 & SH4, it's Imperial for me.
True, but some of us Ami have the benefit of knowing about both systems. Well, Imperial more than Metric, but still.. ;)

Reaves
05-23-07, 08:45 PM
I may be captaining a USA sub but when i'm at sea I am the commander of the boat so I ensue my crew use metric. Aussie sailors are better than Americans anyway. :rotfl:

Old Dog
05-24-07, 09:45 PM
I may be captaining a USA sub but when i'm at sea I am the commander of the boat so I ensue my crew use metric. Aussie sailors are better than Americans anyway. :rotfl:

If God favored metric, Jesus would have had ten Apostles.

(That has long been one of my favorites, like the one about only 10 people being able to think in binary, but I haven't met the other one yet.)

Old Dog

Reaves
05-24-07, 09:58 PM

If God favored metric, Jesus would have had ten Apostles.

(That has long been one of my favorites, like the one about only 10 people being able to think in binary, but I haven't met the other one yet.)

Old Dog

That's not a bad one actually.

Metric is obviously better however. It's just Americans like to be unique. Or stubborn. Like driving on the wrong side of the road. :88)

joking :up:

canimodo
05-24-07, 10:07 PM
lol :lol:

forgive bout the noobnes, but what is imperial ???

skullman86
05-24-07, 10:12 PM

inches, feet, miles.....etc

Reaves
05-24-07, 10:13 PM

inches, feet, miles.....etc

Which is the alternative to metric
millimetres, centimetres, metres, kilometres

Lagger123987
05-24-07, 10:17 PM
Metric for me, Imperial for you metric non lovers here.

skullman86
05-24-07, 10:48 PM
I like using Imperial because it's more familiar (Yes, I'm a metric hating American, so sue me :rotfl:) but it really doesn't matter all that much IMO.I played SH3 and that was metric so it's not like it's impossible to adjust :).

I don't hate metric.I just don't use it. :D

Lagger123987
05-25-07, 12:03 AM
I like using Imperial because it's more familiar (Yes, I'm a metric hating American, so sue me :rotfl:) but it really doesn't matter all that much IMO.I played SH3 and that was metric so it's not like it's impossible to adjust :).

I'm a imperial hating american so sue me skullman16!

joea
05-25-07, 04:56 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I use what the real guys used.

"Mush" Morton used imperial, so I use it in SH4.

Erich Topp used metric, so I use that in SH3. :smug:

Sailor Steve
05-25-07, 11:17 AM

I'm a imperial hating american so sue me skullman16!
How about I sue you both. I have to win one of them!:rotfl:

Uber Gruber
05-25-07, 11:51 AM
I'm an American hating Imperialist....damn George V, damn him to hell :nope:

daft
05-25-07, 12:31 PM
I'll probably switch to metric now that I know a patch is on the way. If imperial gets fixed, I'll switch back.

spyridon
05-25-07, 02:02 PM
I use metric because I find it familiar . Just don't see any reason to change metric to a system I don't know its comparisons :D