PDA

View Full Version : Will you try to return SH4 IF there's no 1.3?

terrapin
05-21-07, 03:25 AM
We should help Ubisoft's decision makers .

Argus00
05-21-07, 03:36 AM
NO.

Voted the same - that is, NO.

Max Peck
05-21-07, 03:39 AM
No, simply because you show me a retailer that will actually take back software that has been opened.....

Gizzmoe
05-21-07, 03:42 AM
No. I´ve played it for several weeks now, so why should I take it back?

Hammertime
05-21-07, 03:51 AM
No - because I don't have any software that does the same thing - and although I have had one hell of a time getting it to run 'properly' I am enjoying it. I am also encouraged by people with the technical know how in the community giving up their time - likely precious time, to improve it :up: - regardless of the support or otherwise offered by the original manufacturer. So far i've found it like any piece of kit, love its good points, learn to live with the bad ones.

GakunGak
05-21-07, 04:26 AM
No, because I know what the mods are gonna do to this product, and some are already doing it!:up:

DJSatane
05-21-07, 04:39 AM
Reading replies here, no wonder UBI cares less and less about this community. They can release half finished products cut support and know that many people still will buy and love it every time. Maybe SH5 can come out without sound so community can add it themselves, do the job for UBI.

heartc
05-21-07, 04:44 AM
No. I would be stupid if I did lol.

No. I´ve played it for several weeks now, so why should I take it back?

Hey, it's unplayable, didn't you know that?! :rotfl:

GakunGak
05-21-07, 04:47 AM
Yeah, maybe the mods could add a nuclear propulsion signature and that way put the whole nation at risk... Next thing we know, SWAT banging on our doors, CIA confiscating our SH5 and declare us terrorists, amd SH5 is classified as a terrorist training ground...
And UBI will have their hands full of money...:|\\
Wicked...

Dowly
05-21-07, 04:47 AM
Hehe, good luck trying. If they dont care as much as to make another patch, they sure as heck wont care if you go and demand your money back. :rotfl:

JScones
05-21-07, 05:04 AM
For me to return it, I'd have to find where I put it. :hmm:

Anyway, how could I possibly give back the free pen? Unlike the game, it works FLAWLESSLY!

9th_cow
05-21-07, 05:32 AM
I havent stopped playing, im just a bit miffed that i cant always see what im shooting with the AA gun, and guessing speed can be a pain.
my current career mission i just smacked a tanker at over 4.5k ranger.
and missed a carrier at 400... :)

kiwi_2005
05-21-07, 05:48 AM
Nope, ya can't take it back? maybe a day or so after you brought it but couple of weeks later? Anyways even if i could i wouldn't.

hobnailboot
05-21-07, 06:48 AM
Cannot take it back, as I am using it as a coaster for my mug of tea. Oh well, back to the Atlantic.

jdski
05-21-07, 07:08 AM
No, all problems aside, I still enjoy playing the game.

pocatellodave
05-21-07, 07:18 AM
No...even if I could.Where I bought my copy has a liberal return policy,but after a couple of months,I don't think so.I'm rolling the dice that 1.3 will come about.The sim as it now is,is perfectly playable.I use Trigger Maru,and sometime Real Boat mods.the fact is I haven't managed to land a career mission yet,but I'm having fun.If Ubisoft doesn't offer a patch to get SH IV right,my only choice is to not purchase anymore Ubi software.The part that scares me is SH IV to me is the end of the Silent Hunter set,and Ubisoft could choose to be real nasty and say up their kilts.Would they lose a lot of customers...YES!,Would they care,probably not.They would keep on making one person shooters,and forget sims.I'm a flight sim person,and Ubisoft's patch record there is another ball game alltogather.Il 2,Pacific fighers have had many patches,and Ubi seems tuned into their needs.Sorry for the long answer,but I had this on my mind.
Pocatellodave

Limerick
05-21-07, 07:23 AM
No. Nuff said.

Major Johnson
05-21-07, 07:24 AM
Besides the fact that I'm still enjoying it, and I feel that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar........I'm a freakin pack rat!! :lol: I have every game I've ever bought for over 12 years!! Some still in the wrapper!!

TDK1044
05-21-07, 07:27 AM
No. Patched to 1.2 and modded, the game is playable and enjoyable in my view. The argument with Ubisoft is an ethical one.

cunnutazzo
05-21-07, 08:48 AM
No. Also I'll use SH4 as patch for SH3... :lol:

mookiemookie
05-21-07, 08:50 AM
No. Patched to 1.2 and modded, the game is playable and enjoyable in my view. The argument with Ubisoft is an ethical one.

QFT. Taken on it's own merits and despite the bugs, SH4 is a fine game.

orangenee
05-21-07, 08:56 AM
No because I wouldn't be able to and because I still like it despite it's problems.

Reece
05-21-07, 09:03 AM
If there is no patch then it's broken, since I paid AU $100 I'm not letting that go totally down the drain, I will try to get the better graphics of SHIV to SHIII!:yep:

ReallyDedPoet
05-21-07, 09:48 AM

:up:

DanCanovas
05-21-07, 09:49 AM
nobody would accept it back.

pythos
05-21-07, 09:50 AM
there is one vote for returning the game.

This is accidental. I would not return this game. Despite its bugs I like the game and it's predecessor. They will be part of this system and possibly the system that succeeds it.

bruschi sauro
05-21-07, 10:02 AM
NO ! NO ! NO ! I HAVE BUY TWO (2) COPYS OF S.H.4
I HAVE SNAPPED ONE DISK.. :yep: THE OTHER IS NEAR ....:yep:

bruschi sauro
05-21-07, 10:06 AM
No, all problems aside, I still enjoy playing the game.
do you like this sim? really?

mookiemookie
05-21-07, 10:09 AM
No, all problems aside, I still enjoy playing the game. do you like this sim? really?

I do. Doesn't mean it can't be improved, but I do like it!

bruschi sauro
05-21-07, 10:10 AM
No. Also I'll use SH4 as patch for SH3... :lol:
BRAVO! IO IL PRIMO DISCO, DEVI SAPERE CHE PER ESSERE STUPIDO NE HO COMPRATE DUE CONFEZIONI, L'HO GIA VOLATO PER LA STRADA, IL SECONDO E SULLA RETTA VIA DI VOLO.................NON COMPRERO' PIU' NULLA COL MARCHIO UBI, POSSONO ANDARE A ......PESCARE :ping:

John Channing
05-21-07, 10:13 AM
Me too. I am on my fourth patrol in S37 and having a blast (and if you have read Blair's "Silent Victory" you will realize how realistic this sim is... right down to the radar problems).

And this sort of "Drama Queen" thread is really more suited to other forums. I thought we were above this.

JCC

Sailor Steve
05-21-07, 10:17 AM
:damn: :damn: :damn:

I voted "Yes", because I didn't read the question properly!:damn: :rotfl:

I thought it was asking if I would return TO SH4, as in keep playing it!:damn: I don't even own it, because as I've said too many times I can't play anything currently, but I fully intend to buy it no matter what happens patch-wise.

I'm glad this poll doesn't actually influence anything important.:oops: :rotfl: :damn:

SUBMAN1
05-21-07, 01:52 PM
Yes, simply because I really don't feel like playing it in its current condition. The Chronometer bug realy bugs me!

-S

tommyk
05-21-07, 03:38 PM
No, its just a poor game. I stay SH3 with GWX and keep sh4 as a reminder to never buy unfinsihed games again and most surely never again from ubi...

AVGWarhawk
05-21-07, 03:41 PM
I voted no, I like the game and enjoy playing it. New stuff, new scenery, new subs and new bugs. Even with the bugs, it is still good IMHO.

skullman86
05-21-07, 04:12 PM
Not like the store will take it back now.Had I not opened it but still knew it's final state then yeah, I'd return it (if it got 1.3 and it fixed everything then I would keep it).Currently some very important features are broken which renders the game near unplayable for some of us.I am not going to go out of my way to make a measuring device when the game should be able to calculate this stuff on it's own.It's not like they left the stuff out....Its there but it doesn't work which means UBI is obligated to fix it.I can tell you this for sure though; if there isn't a 1.3 I won't be buying anything from Ubisoft ever again.

FIREWALL
05-21-07, 04:34 PM
Doesn't matter to me. I sold mine to a guy at GameStop for the preorder
price I paid $60.00. Bonus material version. He was happy because for $50.00+tax all he would get is a DVD in a flashy case.

I asked him if he had internet and he said yes. He said he always buys here so if he has a problem he can return it. As is why I do most of my business here.

We both walked away happy. I gave him something free on a piece of paper.... WWW.SUBSIM.COM (http://www.SUBSIM.COM)

JU_88
05-21-07, 05:41 PM
No!
No game is 100% perfect or finnished especially not niche market product like a subsim in the PC games market.
The harsh reality is - If you played SHIV for more than 2 weeks then its pretty good value for money compared to most games on the shelf.
The game really isnt that bad.

For the record - anyone here who is foolish enough to try and take a pc game back to the shop and ask for a refund on the basis of -
"they never made another patch"
Dont be surprised if the staff not only refuse, but chase you out the door with howls of laughter. :88)

FIREWALL
05-21-07, 06:07 PM
No!
No game is 100% perfect or finnished especially not niche market product like a subsim in the PC games market.
The harsh reality is - If you played SHIV for more than 2 weeks then its pretty good value for money compared to most games on the shelf.
The game really isnt that bad.

For the record - anyone here who is foolish enough to try and take a pc game back to the shop and ask for a refund on the basis of -
"they never made another patch"
Dont be surprised if the staff not only refuse, but chase you out the door with howls of laughter. :88) In your world maybe . But the Gamestop in our small town has already refunded on SH4 and doesn't carry it any more. Manager said it was to much hassle. They know who their repeat customers are and want to keep them. Besides who wants to take on a mad soccer mom who paid $50'00 for her little darling. :rotfl:

edit:Two more Gamestops near us don't carry SH4 . As of this afternoon. ALL THREE ORDER ONLY.

V.C. Sniper
05-21-07, 06:20 PM
No, because I am in love with this game.

Oh, and I never return games I bought.

nattydread
05-21-07, 06:39 PM
I wouldnt return it, but i'd be very cautious of anymore UBIsoft titles.

They took their time but they eventually got SHIII in good working order, then I get GRAW and they drop the ball fixing some of teh multiplayer connection issues. GRAW left me feeling abandoned since I couldnt play more than 2 maps without getting dropped and requiring 10 min sto get back into game. Then they force a poor release of SHIV for which they are fighting to leave in its broken state. Now GRAW2 is coming out and Im really debating weither or not to even give it a try.

Ubisoft is beginning to become a disappointment for me...Im really beginning to feel negelected as a PC gamer (and console games arent doing it for me). Im beginning to lean more and more toward just small independent developers (usually with subscriptions) who have much better quality control.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
05-21-07, 07:07 PM
I wouldnt return it, but i'd be very cautious of anymore UBIsoft titles.

They took their time but they eventually got SHIII in good working order, then I get GRAW and they drop the ball fixing some of teh multiplayer connection issues. GRAW left me feeling abandoned since I couldnt play more than 2 maps without getting dropped and requiring 10 min sto get back into game. Then they force a poor release of SHIV for which they are fighting to leave in its broken state. Now GRAW2 is coming out and Im really debating weither or not to even give it a try.

Ubisoft is beginning to become a disappointment for me...Im really beginning to feel negelected as a PC gamer (and console games arent doing it for me). Im beginning to lean more and more toward just small independent developers (usually with subscriptions) who have much better quality control.

i totaly agree with you.

most games ubisoft makes these times are not even finished...

hawk2495
05-21-07, 10:33 PM
god im a total de de de.... i selected yes instead of no, but the truth is i wouldnt sell this game even if i could. besides SH1-3 its the only decent WW2 subsim out there. (i might have missed a few.) i dont give up on games that easily... especially ones this damn cool...

now i do admit and agree i will be cautious with UBI titles from here on out, but that wont stop me from at least trying another SH game if they offer it..

Shipwreck
05-21-07, 11:11 PM
No sir, injoying the parts that I can play. :rock:

SW

Lt. Cobra
05-21-07, 11:52 PM
I will not take SHIV back to the store but I will probably never buy another Ubi Soft product unless they patch this game to a state of being what that it was advertised to do. I’m tired of the fraudulent claims to consumers of big companies like Ubi Soft! I say this as a once long time IL2 player from some time back. This is the first in the series of the Silent Hunter games that I’ve purchased and I’m disappointed to say the least with how they seemingly don’t care about their customers. :nope: This could be such a wonderful simulation for years to come for true lovers of this type of game play if they weren't so greedy! They give the IL2 players support! I also hear so many good things on the forum about how good SHIII is. I would like to have it but I don’t want Ubi Soft profiting from my purchase. Could anyone give me any advice on the best place that I could buy a good copy of SHIII and Ubi not profit from my purchase? I do like the sub-sim games and I would like to continue playing them but I don't want Ubi profiting from my decision and I'm just not ready to put that much more time into SHIV until they fix it. Btw, thanks to all of you modders for making it as good as it is! You have my total respect!
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/DasBoot%28Rochelle%29.th.jpg (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=DasBoot%28Rochelle%29.jpg)

FIREWALL
05-22-07, 12:52 AM
No, because I am in love with this game.

Oh, and I never return games I bought.

In love ..... you need to get a life buddy :p :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

bigmik1
05-22-07, 02:30 AM
No - I believe the modders will come the the rescue.

BigMik1

RENEGADE-623
05-22-07, 04:03 AM
No, i wont return it. I havent been able to play it yet due to being deployed and it wont work on this laptop (thinking of buyinh one that will run it). I know that games will always be released with bugs. It is unforunate, however, if UBI doesnt patch it up but there is no use in crying over spilled milk. I play another game, a tank simulator, that had bugs, but the developers are active in the forums and they listen to waht we players have to say when we say something is wrong and they work to fix it.

Capt. Shark Bait
05-22-07, 05:51 AM
no, why?:-?

Deep-Six
05-22-07, 09:46 AM
No, I just lost my dvd game disk. So I wont be playing it for a long while.:)

Juju
05-22-07, 03:12 PM
Yes, but fat chance I'll get my money back, since I bought it from UBI: Ferengi rule of aquisition nr. 1; Once you have their money, you never give it back...

tommyk
05-22-07, 03:16 PM
Yes, but fat chance I'll get my money back, since I bought it from UBI: Ferengi rule of aquisition nr. 1; Once you have their money, you never give it back...

LOL! :up:

STEED
05-22-07, 03:25 PM
I will sell my second hand copy if there is no 1.3 patch and if there is a patch I hope it's a real good one as the last thing us folks want is more problems.

jtm55
05-22-07, 03:40 PM
Hi All,

No I wouldn't return it. Problems aside, I'm enjoyin this Sim.

CDR Resser
05-22-07, 04:31 PM
Why would I want to return it. I don't know what half of these people are talking about. It can't be the same game that I have been playing. It has been running crash free virtually since I loaded it. I have modded it extensively and only had a couple of very minor hiccups.
Captain Cox, Ducimus and Beery and many others are producing outstanding mods at an unbelievable rate.:up:

This game is FUN FUN FUN. :D
Some people are just not happy unless they have something to complain about.:down:

Canonicus
05-22-07, 05:02 PM
This game is FUN FUN FUN. :D

Couldn't agree more!....Thats why I'm stickin with it...come hell or high water! :arrgh!:

TriskettheKid
05-22-07, 07:45 PM
The only thing I don't like is the long distances I have to travel in order to get to patrol areas.

GT182
05-22-07, 08:01 PM
No - I believe the modders will come the the rescue.

BigMik1

Sorry to disappoint you Bigmik but mod makers can only improve the looks and feel of the sim, they can't fix what's in the code that's not working as it should. So, a patch is still needed no matter what the mod makers do.

Capt. Shark Bait
05-23-07, 05:40 AM
I voted no, I like the game and enjoy playing it. New stuff, new scenery, new subs and new bugs. Even with the bugs, it is still good IMHO.

QFT:yep:

the_belgian
05-23-07, 07:56 AM
Would you return your wife if....eh no,there is no resemblance,the moment you picked her no modding or patching had to be done.That starts after a couple of years:rotfl: :rotfl:

GT182
05-23-07, 08:00 AM
Would you return your wife if....eh no,there is no resemblance,the moment you picked her no modding or patching had to be done.That starts after a couple of years:rotfl: :rotfl:

:hmm: , yes some of us would. :rotfl: And NO amount of modding can change them. :yep:

the_belgian
05-23-07, 12:00 PM
I think a better poll question than Will you try to return SH4 IF there's no 1.3? (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=541323#post541323) would be;

would you pay for patch 1.3 as part of an "expansion" pack including other vessels and such?

AVGWarhawk
05-23-07, 12:01 PM
I think a better poll question than Will you try to return SH4 IF there's no 1.3? (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=541323#post541323) would be;

would you pay for patch 1.3 as part of an "expansion" pack including other vessels and such?

Sure! I see a lot of potential and years of fun with this game.

tommyk
05-23-07, 12:31 PM

Hmm, most likely not. I am somewhat tired of paying for unpolished products. SH4CE was my last... So my answer will be "No, I will not pay for a patch in any way!"

Maybe because I cannot realy warmup with SH4. I dont know. I am totaly into SH3GWX and I will play and play and play. :up:

I wish all SH4Fans best of luck and hope for them there will be a patch...

LZBTD
05-25-07, 03:03 PM
I will not be returning my copy of SHIV. A couple of weeks ago I discovered Mush Martins' 'UBERBOOT' mod for SHIII - Great Fun. Thanks to certain mod makers (All Hail Ducimus) I'm getting SHIV flavoured to MY taste. With some minor modifications to 'Trigger Maru' and having finally figured out the 'Mini Tweaker' prog, I'm slowly getting an 'UberAmiSub' for SHIV. If I got rid of my copy I would'nt be able to tweak things anymore - would I?

A thought for the day - If SHIV wasn't buggy, there would'nt be much of a SUBSIM FORUM would there?

John Channing
05-25-07, 04:45 PM
A thought for the day - If SHIV wasn't buggy, there would'nt be much of a SUBSIM FORUM would there?

Suuuuuuuuure there would.

The Moderators would just be spending a lot less money on blood pressure medication, that's all!

JCC

aanker
05-31-07, 03:17 PM
Ditto........ Thank you modders so much for all you have done!

RICH12ACE
05-31-07, 03:50 PM
what is SH4 IF?:roll: .

FIREWALL
05-31-07, 04:15 PM

The Moderators would just be spending a lot less money on blood pressure medication, that's all!

JCC

JC Are we thaaat bad.:p :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

RICH12ACE
05-31-07, 04:52 PM
vote YES!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rock:

John Channing
05-31-07, 05:18 PM

JCC

JC Are we thaaat bad.:p :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not everyone.

I like Monolith!

JCC

Mudrik
06-01-07, 12:14 PM
That'll teach me to pay attention. I thought that the thread was entitled "will you return TO SH4" not "will you return SH4" and I voted the wrong way :damn:.

Hell no, I won't give up on SH4, it's a great game with loads of potential and a legion of modders who are committed to making it work.

BTW, all of you who are talking about returning your game to the shop, I assume that you don't live in the UK. There is just about no chance of returning a PC game in the UK and they tell you that when you pay for it. If you tried to return a PC game that had been taken out of it's wrapper because "it has some bugs" I'm sure that the staff in Game or Gamestation or wherever you had bought it would just stand and laugh.

UnSalted
06-01-07, 01:02 PM
At first I was mad about the bugs. Then with more play I found out many of the bugs were self-inflicted infestations of settings and errors such as crashing while spinning the mouse wheel like it was a slot machine. It's amazing how infrequently I have problems with 1.2 and some experience.

I've had much worse problems with products that cost much more. I wouldn't return something under $60 unless it's condition made it unusable. IMHO SH4 is not even close to being that bad.

longam
06-01-07, 03:28 PM
Were the hell is my receipt, dam I lost it, or it’s in a pile somewhere. Oh well it’s been to long to return anyway. I’ll just continue to play waiting patiently for 1.3 or some decent Mod’s.

I was talking with my wife who was in retail for a few and according to her the store does purchase the item from the manufacturer to sell at a markup to make a profit. Returns can sometimes be done threw the store depending on the type of item or it could be required for the consumer to return the item directly to the manufacturer. In either case it gets returned to the original distribution point for a refund time permitting. General rule for returns are 30 days.

Weather-guesser
06-01-07, 11:10 PM
NO:down:

Webster
06-10-07, 08:37 PM
we will join in a class action lawsuit demanding they finish the product as it is incomplete and needs further developement before it will be finished. the words "fraud" and "false advertising" come to mind.

in reality we are suckers for buying it and ubi is laughing all the way to the bank.

if we want a working game we will have to finish it ourselves and they know this.

mookiemookie
06-11-07, 08:30 AM
we will join in a class action lawsuit demanding they finish the product as it is incomplete and needs further developement before it will be finished. the words "fraud" and "false advertising" come to mind.

in reality we are suckers for buying it and ubi is laughing all the way to the bank.

if we want a working game we will have to finish it ourselves and they know this.
:roll: There's the good ol' American way! Sue everything that moves! Make it so no company will ever produce another submarine game again! Great idea!

It's a video game. Get over it.

joea
06-11-07, 04:10 PM

What is your problem? Posting on a thread made before 1.3 was announced and now they have announced it will come out to fix most of the remaining "show-stopper" bugs?? Plus the modders have already stepped forward to fix and enhance a lot. Really some people need to read and reflect a bit. :nope:

AVGWarhawk
06-11-07, 05:47 PM

We have been through this stage quite a few times. The patch is forthcoming and I suspect the game will be relatively bug free. The major issues are being addressed. The developer comes to this site repeatedly to see what needs to be done. He has looked at the modding threads for more ideas to incorporated in to his fix. Do I think he will come through for the best possible patch? I sure do. It is darn gutsy to come post on a forum whos members are out for blood. To this I give him high regards to getting it done. Be sure, the state the games is in and what mods I have installed, created a very enjoyable game for me. Let the developers fix what the modders can not due to hard coding. After that, the skys the limit for modders and I'm greatful they do modify the games. :up:

FAdmiral
06-11-07, 06:56 PM
I voted NO only because I read it the wrong way too. My vote should
be YES. I will continue to play SH4 (1.3 or not) because I absolutely KNOW
that the modders here at SUBSIM will do a better job at making SH4 more
realistic just like they did with SH3. I have no problem with the game now.
I am just waiting for that big mod that will adjust the campaign layers to
give us the reality the game needs in the long run. Some new ships would be
good too but the modders will figure that out, no doubt...

JIM

Elder-Pirate
06-11-07, 07:04 PM

You really need to read your signature more through as this may happen to you.