PDA

View Full Version : A list of WW2 happenings that also happends in SH4

MaxT.dk
05-17-07, 09:04 AM
Hey guys

Does anyone got a list of happenings of WW2 that also happend in SH4?

For example, I've been at "The Battle of the Bismarck Sea (http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/editions/4503/history/story02.htm)" at 3rd March 1943 at nearly same place as it was in the real life (2nd to 5th March 1943).

Here's the map:
http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/editions/4503/images/17battle.jpg

Now... What I wanted is if some of you have encourented the same battles which happend both in real life and in SH4, please post:

Name of the battle
Date (yyyy-mm-dd)
Coordinates
Link to some information regarding the battle
Map (this one is sort of important)
Help yourself and other skippers to enjoy as many historical moments in SH4 as possible! :arrgh!:

DanCanovas
05-17-07, 11:09 AM
this is great, I wasn't aware that historical events were happening in the game. are you sure?

AVGWarhawk
05-17-07, 11:13 AM
They do not. It is just there for fluff and atmosphere.

DanCanovas
05-17-07, 11:14 AM
They do not. It is just there for fluff and atmosphere.

ahh thought so

SteamWake
05-17-07, 11:24 AM
The OP eludes to the fact that he was at the battle of Bismark Sea.

Im guessing that if this is his claim it was most likely coincidence to stumble upon a large convoy at that point in time and place.

The war briefing cut scenes are merley color text. It is a nice touch and I do wish these events were modeled but I belive they are not.

MaxT.dk
05-17-07, 12:03 PM
Well... I got a msg over the radio that there would be a battle at Bismarck sea and anyone who's near required to help. So I've turned my sub 180 degrees, arrived at the place at the right perfect timing and BAM - I've had EXACT the same amount of merchants and DDs as it was stated in the article. And at NEARLY exact same place (it was off by about 25km or so, but if I've waited some more time, it would be at the exact location)...

Oh well...

mcoca
05-17-07, 12:11 PM
There are several scripted battles in the game. They are most files in the Campaigns\Campaign folder whose names don't start with a year:
PearlHarborAttack.mis
EastAsiaCampaign.mis
BurmaJawa.mis
CoralSeaBattle.mis
BattleOfMidway.mis
BattleOfPhilippineSea.mis
BattleOfPhilippine.mis
BattleofGuadalcanal.mis
BattleofTruk.mis
SolomonIslands.misYou can open them in the mission editor to see their contents. Some of the names are a bit odd. The "BattleOfPhilippine.mis" is actually the battle of Leyte Gulf, for example.

MaxT.dk
05-17-07, 12:14 PM
So you do actually mean that some of those historical battles are included and scripted in SH4 (in the normal career)?

mcoca
05-17-07, 12:25 PM
So you do actually mean that some of those historical battles are included and scripted in SH4 (in the normal career)?

Yes. They are in the files, and they do happen. Last week I intercepted the Japanese fleet approaching Leyte Gulf in the exact same place as the Darter and Dace did historically.

You can easily add more if you want. Just create the missions in the editor, and add them to the Campaign.cfg file in that folder.

tater
05-17-07, 12:26 PM
Yeah, there are some TFs there, some even named semi-appropriately. Oddly, even when they have the correct ships to properly build the TFs, they don't use them, and the TFs look like any other TF. If you ran into ships for the Bismark Sea and there were the right number it was likely random or an accident, since none of the other scripted stuff has any of the ships right that I've noticed.

MaxT.dk
05-17-07, 12:53 PM
Oh boy...

Am I the only one here getting the ideas of taking all those real WW2 happenings in the Pacific, script them and release to the public? That would be one of the best MODs (at least best mod of the month lol). All I hear on this forum is "realism" and if everything is "historically correct"... That's sort of a must-to-do mod!

AVGWarhawk
05-17-07, 01:15 PM
Oh boy...

Am I the only one here getting the ideas of taking all those real WW2 happenings in the Pacific, script them and release to the public? That would be one of the best MODs (at least best mod of the month lol). All I hear on this forum is "realism" and if everything is "historically correct"... That's sort of a must-to-do mod!

If I'm not mistaken the GWX mod for SH3 attempted to simulate particular battles at certain times of the war. Ships were scripted in for each event. Would be nice to have this here as well and I believe can be done.

MaxT.dk
05-17-07, 01:17 PM
Sweet... I never tried GWX as I just gamed the default SH3, completed it and that was it... But now I'm back with SH4 :)

dean_acheson
05-17-07, 01:24 PM
my understanding was that the devs did try and include this...

tater
05-17-07, 01:46 PM
There is a huge problem with this, though. The AI. At best you can get groups of ships in a somewhat realistic array. Battles? Ranges are too short. Surface comatants don;t have torpedos, so all of the engagements involving DDs (or IJN CAs and CLs) are pretty much meaningless since at least for the DDs the torpedo was their primary weapon and raison d’ętre.

So eliminate all the cool DD actions (Savo, etc).

Then there are CV actions. The game doesn't even try to model CV ops. So delete all the airgroups from the CVs, and script strikes (which is possible). First you need to change all the bomb loadouts since they are absurd in the stock game. Then you have to put up with the goofy AI "flight model" combined with what the ship AI seems to do in response (drive around randomly?).

Bottom line is that there are no possible battles that aren't disappointing, so the only thing to go for is putting the ships in the right area.

AVGWarhawk
05-17-07, 01:53 PM
Well, lets just say then that some ships could be put at a certain spot on a certain date to closely as possible resemble what occurred. Really not a bad idea if you get the message and can head on over to find something like MaxT. Whether by luck or was actually staged.

dean_acheson
05-17-07, 03:52 PM
Hey guys

Does anyone got a list of happenings of WW2 that also happend in SH4?

For example, I've been at "The Battle of the Bismarck Sea (http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/editions/4503/history/story02.htm)" at 3rd March 1943 at nearly same place as it was in the real life (2nd to 5th March 1943).

Now... What I wanted is if some of you have encourented the same battles which happend both in real life and in SH4, please post:

Name of the battle
Date (yyyy-mm-dd)
Coordinates
Link to some information regarding the battle
Map (this one is sort of important)Help yourself and other skippers to enjoy as many historical moments in SH4 as possible! :arrgh!:

This is a good fourum topic! Just read about this battle last weekend in the Morrison book on Naval History of World War II.

tater
05-17-07, 04:23 PM
If the layers were persistant across patrols I'd have every IJN warship roughly where it should be. Since SH has no persistance at all, it's not worth the trouble of transcribing all the TROMs into paths for the ships.

MaxT.dk
05-18-07, 06:13 PM
Here's another "happening" which I can't check myself as I'm waaay too far from this point and I can't make it there in time:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2581/clipboard01mn3.jpg

The Battle of Kula Gulf @ 6th July 1943!

The real map can be seen at Google Maps.
Here's the location (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Central+Solomons&sll=37.09024,-95.712891&sspn=37.683309,116.367188&ie=UTF8&ll=-8.071467,157.27066&spn=0.368474,0.909119&t=k&z=11&om=1)

"New Georgia Islands, Central Solomons - As the fighting for New Georgia Island continued, naval battles and other actions led to losses on both sides: Battle of Kula Gulf - On the night of the 5th/6th, three US cruisers and four destroyers were in a fight with 10 'Tokyo Express' destroyers off the north coast of New Georgia. The Japanese lost two destroyers, but another US cruiser went down to Long Lance torpedoes. Battle of Kolombangara - Four destroyers covered by cruiser "Jintsu" and five more destroyers ran supplies into Kula Gulf on the night of the 12th/13th. Opposing them were two American cruisers and the New Zealand "Leander" (Capt S. W. Roskill) with ten US destroyers. The Japanese cruiser was shelled to pieces, but all three Allied cruisers were disabled by torpedo hits and a destroyer sunk. "Leander" was out of action for 25 months, the last of the two New Zealand cruisers serving with Adm Halsey."

Could be cool if someone could check if something happends there at that date and time! :) :arrgh!: