PDA

View Full Version : Rookie hunter

Borock
05-16-07, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

I am a 56 years old Dutchy. After 15 years flying MS FS (P3C Orion) and for now Falcon 4 Allied Force (F16) I installed this great subsimulator. And searching on the forum. My Q is: are there extended manuals available for this sim? (instead of the small manual included by the sim).

With regards,

ROMEO - ROMEO - ROMEO:roll:

AirborneTD
05-16-07, 03:36 PM
Welcome aboard. I've never heard of any other manuals available for this sim.

Chock
05-16-07, 03:38 PM
Hi Borock. You might consider the collective knowledge of the subsim people as the best manual, in that normally you can get an answer here pretty quick, but in the meantime, if you want to read some US sub manual stuff, check these links out:

http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/sub_doctrine.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/onipubno23.htm

Enjoy - Chock :D

Sailor Steve
05-16-07, 07:22 PM
Can't answer your question, but welcome aboard! You're not alone in your age group; I just turned 57 myself.

cdrsubron7
05-16-07, 07:34 PM
Don't feel like your the only one, Borock. I turned 55 about a month ago. What type of manuals or information are you looking for specifically?

cdrsubron7 ;)

ReallyDedPoet
05-16-07, 07:45 PM
Welcome:up: Borock

Ask questions, search the threads.

Good Hunting:yep:

RDP

AVGWarhawk
05-16-07, 08:01 PM
Welcome aboard! As far as the manual. It is what it is....a bunch of pages of not much. Welcome to the world of on the job training. Basically, if you do something that did not work....don't do it again;) . At any rate, as stated, there is a plethora of information on the game right here and always a helping hand. Fire away any question you have and a 10 page forum manual will miraculouly spring up for you:yep:

SteamWake
05-16-07, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I am a 56 years old Dutchy. After 15 years flying MS FS (P3C Orion) and for now Falcon 4 Allied Force (F16) I installed this great subsimulator. And searching on the forum. My Q is: are there extended manuals available for this sim? (instead of the small manual included by the sim).

With regards,

ROMEO - ROMEO - ROMEO:roll:

Welcome,

You have hit the probably most complete and accurate source for information available about Silent Hunter 4 (Not to mention all those other sims).

There are several "stickied" threads at the top of this fourm with a great deal of information and insight.

I would also point you to the modding forum. In particular the "sticky" there of available mods.

Browse a whil kick off those boots. There is a wealth of information and entertainment in these pages.

Reaves
05-16-07, 08:07 PM
Check out this thread in particular. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108931

Coming here was a good move. Ubi forums are lacking imo.

-Pv-
05-16-07, 09:47 PM
I seem to remember a player working on a manual based on a WWII ops publication.
-Pv-

Borock
05-17-07, 05:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies. So it's nice to hear that I am not the only "old" subhunter :yep:

Also many thanks for the links/url's. Flying (and learning all aspects) of a F-16 is sometimes a hell of a job. 80 cm width of manuals:o

But this subsimulator (I don not talk like it is a game !!) is also a challenge for the next years.

Installed the patch and all works. The problem in this sim is that I cannot correct the sensitivity of the mousecursor. To activate the right orders on the quick controls panels with the mousecursor is not an easy job. But I will try to solve thissmall problem:lol:

Once more: thanks for all the replies.

Arctic Fox
05-17-07, 06:11 AM
Hi Borock, Welcome. I turned 62 today. You have definately come to the right place. Here it is a case of ask and ye shall receive. It is the best subsim forum I have come across and I have been playing subsims since Jane's 688(i) came out.:up:

Bilge_Rat
05-17-07, 11:31 AM
Welcome aboard, I'll be 52 in a couple of months, mature gamers enjoy subsims since everything moves slower.

AVGWarhawk
05-17-07, 11:50 AM
Installed the patch and all works. The problem in this sim is that I cannot correct the sensitivity of the mousecursor. To activate the right orders on the quick controls panels with the mousecursor is not an easy job. But I will try to solve thissmall problem

I have noticed that the mouse movement is directly related to the FPS (frames per second). Basically 18+ FPS and the mouse works fluidly. The mouse cursor has been a issue for a lot of folks. Mine is to the point that it is pretty fluid in the screens that gave it trouble. Maybe reducing some of the graphics options might up your FPS thus releasing the cursor for free movement.

CaptainHaplo
05-17-07, 06:16 PM
I wont add much since there isnt a specific question out there - but I will second the sentiment - Welcome Aboard!

MudMarine
05-17-07, 08:09 PM
Borock,
Welcome aboard! Ya not a lone wolf here. I am 53. Just picked up my Boat (SH4) a few days ago. Just finnised the first lesson at sub school. Gona speed a week practicin that lesson for a week. Just like tryin to learn ta fly one of those flight sims such as IL2-1946. There is a better amnual but know NATOPS for it, very realistic sim.

So welcome again.

-Pv-
05-17-07, 09:58 PM
"The problem in this sim is that I cannot correct the sensitivity of the mousecursor."

A "swimming" or sluggish, innacurate mouse is indicative your computer/video card is under powered. Use the key combo cntrl-F8 to see your frame rates. If 15 or less in any of the views (especially bridge/external) then you are under powered whether it's due to too many tasks, old drivers, too high graphic settings or not enough CPU/GPU.

-Pv-

Borock
05-18-07, 04:48 AM
Thank you guys about the info over de mouse sensitivity. Disabled some graphics settings and resolution reduced from 1600x1200 to 1024x768.

Framerate in controlroom now 17 fps and outside view 19 - 21 fps. And a steady mouse:lol:

My compu specification:
Intel Pentium 4, 3.20 Ghz, 800 Mhz, 1 Mb, S-775
Graphics: Sapphire X1600 pro, 256 Mb, DVI, TVout, PCle
RAM: 2 Gb
(and several Zalman coolers) :cool:

LCD screen: IIyama - H 510 S - 1600 x 1200

With regards,

Bilge_Rat
05-18-07, 08:22 AM
Borock, I think your graphic card maybe holding you back, I have a opteron 170 (dual core 2 gig AMD, 7900 GTX, 1280x960, 4xFSAA, all graphic options on except environment), in the control room, my fps is 60-70, on the bridge 40-50, although it dips down to 25-30 in heavy situations such as cruising in Pearl or Midway.