PDA

View Full Version : realized there's something missing

Capt. Shark Bait
05-16-07, 06:26 AM
we should be able to eject various items, oil bilge water bodies, to make the enemy think we'd been destroyed. decoys aren't quite enuff

perisher
05-16-07, 07:24 AM
I've seen it in the movies, but was anyone really fooled by that? I honestly don't know on this, I just wonder if it did ever work. I figure bodies wouldn't work because they would be too intact, after an implosion I would think you only get bits. I don't know, I'm pleased I don't know.

I figure a lot, and I mean a lot, of diesel might do the trick, but random garbage would look just like random garbage. Reading stories of ASW vessels, a smell of diesel was not enough to claim a kill, and human remains had to be brought aboard for identification.

Capt. Shark Bait
05-16-07, 07:32 AM
yeah, and then they'd be listening for the boat breaking up. it's possible tho that it might've been tried and worked to some extant. just go deep and stop engines for a while

perisher
05-16-07, 08:07 AM
If there was a catastrophic implosion due to depth charges the ASDIC/SONAR would miss it in the noise of the d/c explosion.

U-Bones
05-16-07, 08:11 AM
More than one hunt ended with
Oil slick + No new noise + lack of patience/other pressing matters

A sub captain could influence two of those. If he was desperate, and knew his location was known, why wouldn't he ? It's certainly conceivable.

Of course the game almost certainly would not "see" your ejected material, and the decoys do not work, so its mostly just "atmosphere" anyway.

Sailor Steve
05-16-07, 07:20 PM
SH1 let you "Eject Debris". Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. One thing was sure: if it didn't work the first time, don't bother to try again because they just ain't buyin' it.

AVGWarhawk
05-16-07, 08:06 PM
decoys aren't quite enuff

From what I read, submarines did not employ decoys or decoy systems. If this is the case, the decoy deal should be removed, disabled or ignored.

Capt. Shark Bait
05-16-07, 09:18 PM
guess i'll have to make a point to not use decoys