PDA

View Full Version : I figure I've waited long enough...

IRONxMortlock
05-15-07, 06:36 PM
and I just ordered SH4. :ping::sunny:! It should be here in 10 days or so.

I am quite concerned by the reports of the litany of bugs and the more arcadish feel to it so this time I'm going to dive straight into the mods without even sampling vanilla.

I loved what GWX did for SH3 and I'm wondering if you guys could recommend some mods?

Which mods should I download to make SH4 as realistic as possible and to remove some of the more anoying aspects (from the perspective of an ex-GWX player) of the game?

I did have a look through the mods forum but I was overwhelmed by the vast aray of mods already available. Hats off to the modders once again! :up:
________
Buy Herbalaire Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/herbalaire-vaporizer.html)

AVGWarhawk
05-15-07, 06:47 PM
Welcome to the party:up: . I recommend you play vanilla and patched to 1.2 for a while. See what you like and don't like. Look for the mod that fixes what you want and don't want.:yep:

t0maz
05-15-07, 07:03 PM
RFB :rock:

ReallyDedPoet
05-15-07, 07:07 PM
Be patient with it:yep: Play stock and latest patch, then some mods, the game is slowly getting there.

RDP

WernerSobe
05-16-07, 02:42 AM
i dont see any mods comparable to something like gwx at the moment. Sure there are some bigger mod packets but i wasnt happy with any of them.

At the moment i dont play my game im still waiting when its finely finished. I hope it will be after 1.3. Right now it is unplayable if you like high realism. Radar aint working, stupid AI, the speed tool doesnt work in manual targeting mode, broken damage system and quite often crashes to desctop to spice it up.

daft
05-16-07, 05:58 AM
I agree with Mr Warhawks suggestions. I only have the "green for active buttons"-mod installed and still love the game. I probably won't be installing any other mods until 1.3 is out or we get confirmation that no more patches are coming. Give 1.2 a try and then go from there. Good luck! :)

Chock
05-16-07, 06:02 AM
I'd also recommend checking it out with just the 'official patches', to see where you think it falls down. Then you could address whatever you feel is an issue with some mods of your own, or one of the ever-increasing collection appearing.

Yes, the radar is a bit shaky and the AI and damage need some work, some have reported crashes to desktop too, but then again, many haven't had a single one. But there is definitely fun to be had with it, even in stock form.

Nevertheless, modding it before we know what is in any forthcoming patch will probably mean a reinstall, so whatever you choose to do, it's no big deal.

'Whatever floats your boat' as they say!

longam
05-16-07, 08:20 AM
Dont forget to manualy turn on AA and AF.

IRONxMortlock
05-21-07, 10:47 PM
Got it!

Thanks for your responses everyone. I'll give it a go in vanilla mode for awhile before I install the mods I guess.

I've only just opened the box and I'm curious; the map that came with it is only A4 in size and it has a keyboard reference chart on the back. Are all the maps like that or did I just get a dodgy copy?

Thanks,

M
________
Washington Marijuana Dispensaries (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

U-Bones
05-21-07, 10:55 PM
Got it!

Thanks for your responses everyone. I'll give it a go in vanilla mode for awhile before I install the mods I guess.

I've only just opened the box and I'm curious; the map that came with it is only A4 in size and it has a keyboard reference chart on the back. Are all the maps like that or did I just get a dodgy copy?

Thanks,

M
My keyboard ref was a little trifold, seperate map. Dodgy, but no biggie IMO, I had to dig them out, havn't looked a them since I installed lol.

IRONxMortlock
05-22-07, 12:24 AM
Strange, perhaps it's something to do with the Australia edition or something? Thanks anyway.

Dont forget to manualy turn on AA and AF.
I've looked at the options ingame but I don't see AA anywhere. Where do I find it?
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

d@rk51d3
05-22-07, 12:34 AM
It's not an ingame option, you need to force it by means of your video card drivers.

DJSatane
05-22-07, 02:44 AM
i dont see any mods comparable to something like gwx at the moment. Sure there are some bigger mod packets but i wasnt happy with any of them.

At the moment i dont play my game im still waiting when its finely finished. I hope it will be after 1.3. Right now it is unplayable if you like high realism. Radar aint working, stupid AI, the speed tool doesnt work in manual targeting mode, broken damage system and quite often crashes to desctop to spice it up.

hmmm 1.3? what, yea don't think so.

IRONxMortlock
05-22-07, 05:09 AM
Thanks, got the AA and AS setup and it looks a hell of a lot nice now! I was getting worried with all the jaggies there for awhile.

It's taking me a bit to get used to but so far I'm enjoying the game. It's visually stunning and it really captures the feel of the pacific. The keys were anoying the crap out of me though so I installed the mod which remaps them to SH3 style. I also installed the green lamp mod.

A couple of quick questions:

1. Can I manually change the watch?
2. What's up with the radio? I get one channel and when I click on "next station", it just cycles through static. Are there anymore stations?
3. Is....... there..... any........ reason........ why....... my......... sonarman........... sounds......... like.......... this........ when reporting contacts?

Thanks,

M
________
Kiaritta (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Kiaritta/)

Fish40
05-22-07, 06:04 AM
Welcome Bud! The crewmen sounding like robots is one of the most annoying things I found in the game. As for the radio, with the stock version of the game, all you get is the one station. Try the "Capt. Midnight's" radio mod. You could find it in the "SH4 Mods Workshop" forum. This adds authentic radio broadcasts and news reports to the game. There are also other radio mods available as well.

Another thing you'll want to do is to find some of the gramaphone music which is available, and load up your gramaphone with some tunes for those long, boreing stretches.

Capt. Shark Bait
05-22-07, 06:43 AM
Be patient with it:yep: Play stock and latest patch, then some mods, the game is slowly getting there.

RDP

yup, what he said:know:

U-Bones
05-22-07, 10:22 AM
Thanks, got the AA and AS setup and it looks a hell of a lot nice now! I was getting worried with all the jaggies there for awhile.

It's taking me a bit to get used to but so far I'm enjoying the game. It's visually stunning and it really captures the feel of the pacific. The keys were anoying the crap out of me though so I installed the mod which remaps them to SH3 style. I also installed the green lamp mod.

2. What's up with the radio? I get one channel and when I click on "next station", it just cycles through static. Are there anymore stations?
3. Is....... there..... any........ reason........ why....... my......... sonarman........... sounds......... like.......... this........ when reporting contacts?

Thanks,

M

#1, no. But if you have to, you can move sailors from an inactive watch to the active watch. (like if you forget to take everyone off battlestations for 24 hours lol).

SteamWake
05-22-07, 10:29 AM

Thanks,

M

1 Not that I know of short of moving the crew members around one by one.

2 Game comes stock with one "song" you may add others.

3 Because, it is, a com pute er not a huu man

AVGWarhawk
05-22-07, 10:37 AM
Ah, got the game finally! Welcome to the fleet! My sonar dude speaks ok to me. Sometimes he sounds like he inhaled helium though. I have never heard him studder. Sometimes they do like to repeat Rudder Rudder. That gets old after a while. Keep on sailing and you will find a lot more good than bad!

MaxT.dk
05-22-07, 01:24 PM
Welcome to our nightmare :rotfl::arrgh!: