PDA

View Full Version : Contact Report Accuracies

btaft
05-14-07, 12:27 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had a reference of what a typical contact report received by a submarine would consist of. Right now the tail on the map is dead-on accurate. Would the report just give a general cardinal direction (i.e. N, S NNW, etc) or would it give a position and heading (i.e. course 170) with an expected accuracy (i.e. +/- 10 deg). Just curious more than anything and drawing the bulls-eye line just isn't much fun

Fish40
05-14-07, 02:45 PM
I would imagine that real life contact reports would give similar general info. as in the game. If a convoy, ect. was spotted either by another sub or aircraft, the current position, heading, and speed would to the best of their ability, be relayed to HQ. or known nearby units.

tater
05-14-07, 02:50 PM
Using mcoca's excellent tool, it has become possible to instantly change large numbers of waypoints in the campaign layers to have the ships zig-zag. Once that is in place, the tail on the contact could be entirely wrong assuming the contact report generates an instantaneous heading.

Of course any decent contact report would be a guess at the base course, not the heading when observed, OTOH, there are simply way way too many contact reports.