PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Maru or RFB?

bsalyers
05-14-07, 11:33 AM
I am currently playing with Ducimus' fine TRIGGER MARU mod (formerly FTT), as well as several other mods recommended by him. I am curious about Beery's popular REAL FLEET BOAT mod; has anyone played both of these? If so, how do they compare? In your opinion, is one easier/harder? More/less submersive? I'm not trying to discover which one is "better" - from everything I've read, they are both fantastic. I just want to get a sense of the differences from anyone who has experienced them first-hand.
Thanks!

ReallyDedPoet
05-14-07, 12:09 PM
Your playing Trigger Maru now, install RFB, give it a shot and then decide. Both are JSGME, so this will be easy to do.

RDP

Ducimus
05-14-07, 12:09 PM
Im afraid your going to get a wide range of answers on this one. I think both strive for "realistic" and "historically correct", but at the core the philosphy behind what the game should be is a bit different, and both are directed at a different crowd.

RFB is directed more at the ultra realism crowd. Where as TMaru is directed at the crowd who like realism, but not at the expense of exciting or varied gameplay. The biggest difference between the two mods (although i really havent looked at RFB to be honest), is the campaign game, and the AI. Tmaru's campaign assigments is deliberatly set to be varied and active, the AI more challenging.

Which one to play, really depends on what you want out of the game.

Graf
05-14-07, 12:16 PM
Ducimus is right one with this. Great work BTW. ;)

I tried TM at first, then called FTT. I liked it but isn't my cup of tea. Great work involved in it but as has been said, I'm a ultra realistic type of guy.

Try both and come up with your own conclusion...really only way to do it. ;)

dean_acheson
05-14-07, 12:21 PM
Both are good, but I am using TM over RFB, mainly because of the deck gun.

Of course, I have hopelessly changed certain other things around to kinda suit myself.

like the 'namograph,' it clutters up my map. little things like that....

thanks, both of you guys for offering the choice here.

ReallyDedPoet
05-14-07, 12:24 PM
Forgot to mention that I am using Trigger Maru, mainly because I am familiar with his work, great mod:up: But at the end of the day it is whatever floats your boat, or should I say sub:lol:, so as mentioned above give each a shot and decide.

RDP

bsalyers
05-14-07, 12:33 PM
Thanks to those who've answered so far. I suppose my whole thread here is just a symptom of impatient curiosity; as some have suggested, I could switch mods with JSGME, but I'm mid-mission at the moment, and I've always heard that activating/deactivating large mods outside of base is a bad idea. Has anyone else tried it? I'm usually hesitant to change large mods even mid-career, let alone mid-mission.

Ducimus
05-14-07, 01:26 PM
>>Switch mid-mission?

No, dont do it mid mission, that well mess up your saved game. Wait tell your in port and not at sea.

bsalyers
05-14-07, 01:28 PM
Thank you, Ducimus. And since I've not said it elsewhere, thank you for TRIGGER MARU.

dean_acheson
05-28-07, 10:15 PM
Well, I guess this is kinda moot now. I hope that Duci changes his mind and re-examines this after 1.3 comes out.

CDR Resser
05-28-07, 11:00 PM
It is just my own preference, but I have been simming with both of the Mods running.
There are features of each that I like. I like the realism of RFB as well as some of the features of TM-- Bungo Pete--:D.
I, personally, enjoy the realism associated with some of the legendarium that has grown up around this particular aspect of the war.

dean_acheson
05-29-07, 09:29 AM
can you run both at once? I would think that there would be conflicts between the two.

did you install them with JGSME? did it tell you that there were conflicts?

I guess my favorite thing in TM is the option of having the WO ID the ship. I'm afraid that I use this a ton.....

CDR Resser
05-29-07, 07:22 PM
I did use JSGME. Yes it gives you the option of overwriting several files. Most of these overwrites amount to the same thing ie: realistic crew configs and sounds, etc.
I had actually further installed one of the realistic sound packs and everything works well.
The important thing to remember is to load the mods in an order where the features that you want won't be overwritten by the subsequent mods.
I first had JSGME apply TM, the applied RFB, and then the sound pack or whatever specific system (scopes, PPI rings, grainy image mod, Captain Midnight, etc). But if you apply the mods in the order you think will get you what you want everything seems to work OK
I experiminted several times before I got exactly what I was after.
Still haven't run into Bungo Pete though.

TDK1044
05-29-07, 07:26 PM
I run TM and a few other mods. The game feels great.

BH
07-19-07, 09:37 PM
Does TM have a mod to eliminate nuclear depth charges?

BH
07-19-07, 10:41 PM
One more question? How does the AI in TM compare with that found in GWX? Is it more or less difficult?

tvfixitman
07-23-07, 01:08 AM
When I enable the latest Real Fleet Boat version 1.28, 1.26, or 1.27 I get an error just at the end of loading the game (red bar reaches end). The error reads: Menu ID Not Found: 0x3f220005! I have patch 1.3 installed and am using JSGME enabler. Does anyone know a work around? Has this file been updated for 1.3 patch or do I need to go back to 1.2 in order to use this patch? Beery if you are reading this thanks for mods!

Please let me know if I can use this mod with 1.3 patch or if there is a work around or an update to RFB. Thanks all!

Fearless
07-23-07, 01:54 AM
When I enable the latest Real Fleet Boat version 1.28, 1.26, or 1.27 I get an error just at the end of loading the game (red bar reaches end). The error reads: Menu ID Not Found: 0x3f220005! I have patch 1.3 installed and am using JSGME enabler. Does anyone know a work around? Has this file been updated for 1.3 patch or do I need to go back to 1.2 in order to use this patch? Beery if you are reading this thanks for mods!

Please let me know if I can use this mod with 1.3 patch or if there is a work around or an update to RFB. Thanks all!

RFB v1.28 is not compatible with 1.3. I believe Beery is or will be working on it to make it compatible.

TDK1044
07-23-07, 06:59 AM
Both great mods. My subjective preference is TM. :D

ReallyDedPoet
07-23-07, 07:21 AM
Welcome:up: tvfixitman

Keep an eye on the RFB Thread, I believe as mentioned that Beery is working on this.

RDP

BH
07-23-07, 09:26 AM
Beery has been absent so its assumed he has found his motivation.

ReallyDedPoet
07-23-07, 09:30 AM
Beery has been absent so its assumed he has found his motivation.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=600257&postcount=1167

Saw this a couple of days ago.

RDP

Rockin Robbins
07-23-07, 03:30 PM
One more question? How does the AI in TM compare with that found in GWX? Is it more or less difficult?
Yes, it's acronym night here at the forum! I haven't tried TM yet. But I have logged extensive time with RFB, so I'll let you know what I've found ther.

First of all, in RL, the Brits and Yanks were much better at ASW than the Nips. Therefore you can expect that being proficient in GWX means you'll be super in RFB. That's how I found it while running 1.2. However RFB is currently uninstalled while I wait for Beery to update. If I find that the Nips and then as hard as the Allies I'll know that Beery missed the mark. Betting on Beery to miss is like betting the sun won't rise. :up:

One thing about RFB. Beery doesn't care if it's more fun. It is realistic. That means if the real skippers were frustrated, you're gonna be. That's a guarantee. He tries to make game combat results mirror RL. That means 100,000 ton cruises just aren't going to happen. It means early war torps are a little less useful than calling the Nips bad names. (ok, maybe a LITTLE more useful than that) It means you're going to get 3 shots a minute (is that the present number?) from the deck gun whether you need it or not. RFB ain't for sissies.:arrgh!: But if you're a GWX vet like I am, you'll love it.

XanderF
07-23-07, 05:14 PM
Did have a question on TM vs RFB. I mostly run with RFB, but I've not tried TM yet (and as RFB lacks a 1.3 update, I may give TM a shot).

Anyway, RFB has a few things I really like, and I was wondering if TM included them:
- 'Realistic' crew layouts. Improvements had been made to the default crew names, number of crew, assignments, etc.
- Better periscopes. Specifically, the 'worn/sratched up' look, and obs scope with much higher light throughput (lighter image) than the attack scope

One big thing I'm looking at TM for is the "living, breathing ocean mod (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119064)" - that looks FANTASTIC, and if TM does include it in the next release...that's a 'must have'!

Ducimus
07-23-07, 05:41 PM
Wait a day or two and Tmaru 1.4 will be out. Personally i feel that RFB an TMaru overlap in some areas, but thats a good thing. Tmaru has realstic crew configs, sinking times, harder to shoot down planes, monsun uboats, etc etc, etc, i can't list it all. Where they differ is on AI, and things like the deck gun. Tmaru lowers it in effectiveness, but not in the same way RFB does.

Now that said, to anyone id say, try both out, and stick with the one you like the most. No mod pack can be all things to all people, and it would be foolish to try.

nimitstexan
07-26-07, 04:39 AM
Tmaru has realstic ... sinking times, ...

Does TM use WenerSobes" Realistic Sinking Physics, the Die Slowly, or "mod-organic" third option?

Rockin Robbins
07-26-07, 10:54 AM
I am now using TM while waiting for RFB. I love it! The only thing it is missing that I used before is WernerSobe's Realistic Sinking Physics. Now Ducimus has made his own tweaks to the compartments and sinking behavior of ships, so I expect this not to be an issue.

I miss the ugly surface marker for my sub. Playing with a lone destroyer with my periscope in a pretty heavy sea, I noticed that he was not too able to detect me. I thought Ducimus played it just about right and I was able to get 800 yards away before I was detected. Mind you this was with good periscope technique. I'm sure you can extend it all the way up and leave it there for 60 seconds and you'll be charged. I know I was. In my opinion Ducimus has ratcheted up the challenge, but not enough to ruin the fun.

The destroyer began pinging: my signal to hit ahead emergency and so some fancy footwork down to the basement. I zizzagged (sp) down to just below the thermal layer and slinked away at 1/3, which Ducimus has thoughtfully set to the quietest RPM. I still have to verify that 1/3 throttle is 1000 RPM but I don't doubt that it is.

Although the AI of Japanese destroyers is tweaked up in TM, I noticed that my pet was not to the level of Limey destroyers in SH3, which would surely have killed me in the same situation.

Plotting is sparser than stock 1.3, but I had no trouble working with the tools. I give TM a huge thumbs up :up:. Bigger than that even. I look forward to tangling with Bungo Pete and answering the question, "Do these tin cans ever run out of firecrackers?" Thanks Ducimus!

Will I stick with TM? I'll know when Beery quits playing with those ugly hobbits and dwarves for awhile and comes home to the real world long enough to update RFB. :lol:I can tell you I won't quit playing TM even if I don't use it exclusively. It's too much fun!