PDA

View Full Version : i'm startin to hate this game

Capt. Shark Bait
05-12-07, 07:04 PM
loading saves, large in MB the last was 29.3 i keep getting not responding. reinstalled yet again and it seems i'm going to have to start yet another career:damn: . sent a ticket to ubi and their suggestion was to install the latest drivers and DX9. they were already there:doh: all i can play otherwise are quick missions

Lagger123987
05-12-07, 07:11 PM
Shark Bait o hah hah (Finding Nemo)

CaptainHaplo
05-12-07, 09:12 PM
Are you using the "best practices" for saves?

Never save submerged, when ships are around, or from any screen other than the map.

These three things have kept many of us from having save issues.

DirtyHarry3033
05-12-07, 09:20 PM
Are you saving replays? Sounds like it from the save game sizes you mention.

Right now, I've been saving replays for one patrol and my save folder is already over 2 gigs!!! Haven't got "Not Responding" yet on a reload but it takes increasingly longer to load the save game each time.

I may be wrong, but I think there is a "time-out" value set in the registry somewhere, if a program doesn't go "Hey, I'm still here!" within that time (in other words, it's busy reading files or crunching numbers and too busy to "check in" with Windows), Windows reports it as "Not Responding" even though it's still running fine. I've had many progs show as "Not Responding" while they're chewing on a CPU-intensive task but eventually they finish and all is well again :D

You might try waiting a little longer, and if you're saving replays you might want to stop and see if that helps any.

Good luck and don't give up! SH4 rules!

DH

DirtyHarry3033
05-12-07, 09:25 PM
Are you using the "best practices" for saves?

Never save submerged, when ships are around, or from any screen other than the map.

These three things have kept many of us from having save issues.
Don't know as that matters. I save submerged at least 3 or 4 times every day, I save at least 3 or 4 times in the middle of a convoy when engaging, and I save from whatever screen I'm on when the urge strikes me. And I've never had any issue worth mentioning when reloading...

...except:

If I save submerged, and reload, my bow planes don't deploy next time I dive. But that's a gfx issue only, no effect on game play that I can tell!

DH

CaptainHaplo
05-12-07, 10:43 PM
It doesnt affect everyone - but there are a number of threads regarding save game issues - these were things learned in SH3 that ported to SH4 as well. I have had save games subnerged work fine as well - but other times they corrupt.

Not saying its a sure way to corrupt a save - just that these steps have solved save game issues for a number of people.

Incandescent
05-13-07, 01:51 AM
I have one.
The longer I am on a patrol, the longer it takes to load the saved game.
I am up to literally, waiting 3-4 minutes on the 'Please Wait' screen now.
That may not sound like a long time, but sit and watch the clock for 4 minutes and you will see its an eternity.

Onkel Neal
05-13-07, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I had one patrol that took so long to load the screen said "Please, please wait" ;)

daft
05-13-07, 04:39 AM
Only issue I've had is a bit of waiting when loading a saved game. Can't say I feel the wait's been abnormaly long though.

Marko_Ramius
05-13-07, 04:50 AM
I have one.
The longer I am on a patrol, the longer it takes to load the saved game.
I am up to literally, waiting 3-4 minutes on the 'Please Wait' screen now.
That may not sound like a long time, but sit and watch the clock for 4 minutes and you will see its an eternity.

I had this too, only one time on my last patrol; i had to refit 2 times and i made a lot of good things in this one. A lot of "events". The "please Wait" was long and i was suspicious, but finally, all was ok.

If we could have a progress bar or something to let us know that the game is not frozze up, it coud be better. I say this but it's not really a problem for me, though.

Capt. Shark Bait
05-13-07, 06:17 AM
nope, no replays and all saves are surfaced off shore somewhere and either outside a port or docked at a pier, where nothing happens btw:-? . and those save that will load take damn near forever and they're smaller in size. thx for the input and i'll stick it out with SH4, cuz yeah, it does :rock:

fredbass
05-13-07, 06:31 AM
I don't know if this would help, but have you done a defrag lately?

Capt. Shark Bait
05-13-07, 06:46 AM
yeah, not too long ago, 'bout a coupla weeks or so and i ran a disk clean last night, tho after reinstalling i doubt the old save will run.

fredbass
05-13-07, 06:50 AM
Try this little program too. I use it frequently.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Capt. Shark Bait
05-13-07, 06:53 AM
too late. already have it :smug: i run it maybe once/twice a month

GnarPow
05-13-07, 09:38 AM
I personally make it a point to try and finish my patrol if at all possible if I am more than half way through it just so I dont have to wait longer for it to load each time. I know not everyone has time to dedicate to finishing it but I try not to load up a save more than once or twice per patrol and finish them after that. I also save games under a different name each time as I go along the patrol in case of a CTD which i get fairly often or if a save game is corrupted when I try to load it... That way i dont lose too much play time

Capt. Shark Bait
05-13-07, 04:16 PM
maybe this time i'll do a coupla refits and then end that particular patrol and see what happens. i really hate to lose all that 130k of tonnage, tho:damn: