PDA

View Full Version : Splash Damage Sinking

EugenHund
05-12-07, 04:13 PM
Hello folks
I just encountered something which I'd like to share with you (maybe someone had a similar experience?)...
I snuck into Saipan harbor (no big deal, there were no aircraft or patrol craft except for those moored in the harbor). Once there, I decided to take out the only two threats there, namely two sub chasers. The first one was easy, because it was anchored along a pier perpendicular to me, but the second was a bit trickier, becuase it was facing outwards and I was firing at an angle of about 40 degrees on his bow, with most of his hull covered by a pier.
I got in position, lined up my sights and fired - Only to realise that I wouldn't hit (this is mainly due to a problem of getting very accurate line ups with the scope -by which I mean around or smaller than one degree... And in any case the scope is probably more accurate than the torpedoes). Instead of hitting the bow of the sub chaser, the torpedo sped right by, missing the hull by half a metre and then exploded against the pier right next to the sub chaser. Result: The splash damage busted open the sub chaser's hull and caused a catastrophic explosion (the kind we captains like, which indicates that yet another one bit the dust, hee hee). Moments later the craft slipped under, with me going from the frustration of being able to miss a stationary target at less than 1 km, to cheerful outbursts of my luck.
Anyone else have any experiences like that? I guess, in theory, that means that a very close premature explosion could potentially sink a target - Which I guess is not quite unlike the effect you get from detonating the fish under the keel of a ship, except for the obvious difference in energy transfer from detonation to target, of course...

Oh yeah, and I learned two other little lessons from my harbor raid:
1. All fish should be set to run at least possible depth lest they hit rocks and explode before reaching their intended recipient.
2. When, eventually, bad aiming, premature explosions from bad depth settings and the occasional dud causes you to run out of fish, do NOT surface to engage with the deck gun :damn:
Yes, I did survive, but it was a long and very slow way home, leaking diesel and pumping water out of my bunk around the clock. Those puny 40 kilotons of tonnage were pretty darn expensive...

And finally... I did consider trying to sink the moored sea plane with a torpedo, just to see if it was possible, and of course to be able to post the picture here, but I since I spent the better part of my loadout on one stubborn large tanker, I had to let that plan go. Maybe next time...

CaptainHaplo
05-12-07, 04:23 PM
Welcome Aboard!

It is possible to sink a plane with a torp. :yep:

As for "sympathetic" damage - this does occur in the game - as well as it has happened in RL.

I have only seen it twice in game - and both were during a test. I set every zone on a bb to hold ammo, then placed it right beside a DD. The BB screened the dd from me, i hit the bb with a torp - she went up like a rocket - and the explosions of all the ammo took out the adjacent destroyer! The second test - I set my torp to nuke warhead strength(5000 damage - area 2000) and everything toasted!

In history - at Pearl a warship sunk when a torpedo exploded on the hull of another ship. Her seams let go and down she went....

GnarPow
05-12-07, 04:52 PM
I've blown up the planes using splash damage, I fired a torp at the pier next to it and watched that thing go sky high in a billion pieces, was awesome... and I got 7 tons for it :)

Redwine
05-12-07, 06:04 PM
All weapon explosion has a random min and max power and radius.

If you falls into the radius you are affected.

Plus antother interesting effect is, the cargo, fuel, ammo bunkers explosions... has a determined radius too, into the zones.cfg files, default is 25m, but if you adjust it to in example 200m and you hit an ammo freighter at 300m o even more, may be up to 500m, and the ammo explodes... your sub is killed. :dead:

If you are so near of an ammo freighter, and it is hited by a plane bomb and it explodes... you are done ! :p