PDA

View Full Version : Strange happenings

irish1958
05-12-07, 08:20 AM
I installed SHIV and immediately after I ran into a problem with my mouse. I don't see how it could be related. When I left click on a folder (not while running SHIV or any game) window XP opens a search tab and not the folder. To open the folder I have to right click and choose "open" or "explore". Also the first choice on right clicking is "search" not "open". I had formatted my hard drive a week before and reinstalled XP home, and before installing SHIV everything was working fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened?

kakemann
05-12-07, 08:28 AM
I know there is a "mouse" icon in the control panel menu. Have you checked the settings in this one? :hmm:

SteamWake
05-12-07, 09:36 AM
In windows, control panel, there is a mouse "control" you can change things like tracking speed, double click speed, etc.

Its a fun trick to play on your co workers to set up your mouse for a "left hander". :p

If its a USB mouse try un and re plugging it in.

You can try that with a serial mouse but make sure you power down the system first.

irish1958
05-12-07, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your help. I have a laptop, so I can't unplug the mouse. I did check the control panel and messed around the the settings, but nothing I tried helped. I am not sure why "search" has replaced "open" on my left click.

-Pv-
05-12-07, 03:48 PM
I'm sure this has nothing to do with SHIV install unless you are running a crack version.

Try resetting a restore point made before your mouse problem, then test the mouse. This may result in you having to reinstall the game. There is also the possibility your touchpad has failed, but unlikely. If a restore point doesn't get you back, you might have a corrupted user profile. Create a new profile and test your mouse, if that ends up boing the solution, there is a document on the MS web site on how to move your old profile into the new ones without moving the corrupted files.

You can also plug in a USB mouse to test with.

Last but not least, install a commercial (not freeware) spyware detection/removal program.

-Pv-

irish1958
05-12-07, 11:53 PM
PV Thanks for the note. My install is clean. Plug in mouse has the same problem. I'll try your suggestion on the new profile.

TheSatyr
05-13-07, 03:19 AM
Check your keyboard. The only time I've had something like that happen is when one of my keys was stuck.