PDA

View Full Version : Q: EM detection (and no, not another bug thread)

zylark
05-12-07, 01:41 AM
Radar is good and all, but they do tend to give out a lot of EM radiation that should easily be picked up by any ship with a radio-receiver set to the right frequency range. And that at ranges that far exceed the return contact treshold of the emitter. That is, you and me and our subs.

I'm no expert in the field by any measure, but surely the IJN got clued into this unwanted feature of radar usage. Like the difference between pinging and getting a return, and hearing others ping.

At the very least any transmitted signal should be detected at twice the echo range. In reality, depending on the sensitivity of the equiptment, at much farther ranges.

I'm just entering a new career in Jan. 43 ( thanks a lot Ducimus :D ), and having radar blazing should get less, umm, safe. I mean, if they can detect normal patrol reports and other radio traffic, why not radar?!

So far DDs and even task-forces seem oblivious to incoming radar signals. Kinda' odd. Not saying that won't change though as I get further along, but it do seem odd. Especially seeing as the germans and nippons exchanged quite a bit of intelligence info on various technical details...

fire-fox
05-12-07, 02:02 AM
if your after info on japanes radar ext. then this is the only book that i could find that had any info

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radar-History-World-War-Imperatives/dp/0750306599/ref=sr_1_8/026-9609289-5962037?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178953135&sr=1-8

hope that it helps as its mostly german and UK/US stuff.:ping: