PDA

View Full Version : SUNK and it wasn't my Sub nor a Ship.

Elder-Pirate
05-11-07, 11:58 AM
Yesterday Evening 8:45 pm Central daylight time I was working a convoy set up when 'Bingo' screen lock up with sound going strong, but not for long ( about 15 seconds ) when monitor went blank, then a monitor flag came up reporting that the monitor was all right, check your signal. OH NO my graphic card quit. :o I shut off computer and cold booted,graphic card came up smelling like a rose. Restarted SH4 and brought up last save, ok looks good so far, played for three hours more and never a problem. Put in another game that is DVD and a real hard graphic card puller ( Trust me on this for it is a top notch graphic pulling game and tittle does not need mentioning here ). I played this game for two more hours with no problems at all.Then my personal graphic card was slowing down ( 'my body' ) and I went to sleep.

I'm not a computer whiz but I did pull this off the "System Information" under "Windows Error Reporting":

5/10/2007 8:45pm Application error Faulting sh4.exe,version 1.2.0.0, faulting module kernel.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00017037.

Is there someone in the house whom can decifer that?

Also where it says "faulting module", does this mean it's somebody's mod?:hmm:
Or is my computer getting sick again? :lol:

I did not put this in the "Bug" thread for I'm not sure it is a bug or it may be a mod bug or my computer.

Thanks.

SteamWake
05-11-07, 12:20 PM
Yesterday Evening 8:45 pm Central daylight time I was working a convoy set up when 'Bingo' screen lock up with sound going strong, but not for long ( about 15 seconds ) when monitor went blank, then a monitor flag came up reporting that the monitor was all right, check your signal. OH NO my graphic card quit. :o I shut off computer and cold booted,graphic card came up smelling like a rose. Restarted SH4 and brought up last save, ok looks good so far, played for three hours more and never a problem. Put in another game that is DVD and a real hard graphic card puller ( Trust me on this for it is a top notch graphic pulling game and tittle does not need mentioning here ). I played this game for two more hours with no problems at all.Then my personal graphic card was slowing down ( 'my body' ) and I went to sleep.

I'm not a computer whiz but I did pull this off the "System Information" under "Windows Error Reporting":

5/10/2007 8:45pm Application error Faulting sh4.exe,version 1.2.0.0, faulting module kernel.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00017037.

I did not put this in the "Bug" thread for I'm not sure it is a bug or it may be a mod bug or my computer.

Thanks.

Sounds like your system locked up (shrug). Nothing to worry about.

Kernell.dll is a windows applet critical to system operation espically to older versions of windows.

It has also been known to be associated with some virusis (the dll is hijacked).

Make sure your VP is up to date.

NefariousKoel
05-11-07, 12:31 PM
It could be your power supply starting to give out.

I've seen DLL blue screen errors and such after the vid card has put the power supply under load for a bit and it's not able to keep up enough steady current.. then boom.

Elder-Pirate
05-11-07, 12:54 PM
It could be your power supply starting to give out.

I've seen DLL blue screen errors and such after the vid card has put the power supply under load for a bit and it's not able to keep up enough steady current.. then boom.

Jeeze I hope not for I blew a 400w PS 5 months ago and put in a new 500w one along with this Nvidia 7800GS OC 256mb card.

@SteamWake, could be my Antivirus not catching all it's supposed to. Time to check it out. :yep:

Thanks Guys.:up:

jerryt
05-11-07, 12:57 PM
I've had the same type of CTD a couple of times now, loss of monitor signal. I just reset the PC and no problems.
It is one of the stranger type of crashes I have had though.

Redwine
05-11-07, 01:20 PM
Similar problem here, i think so not related with the game... i have my motherboard monitor poping up frecuently, it push me out of the game, game not crash, i was moved to desktop only and the problem is the 3V, down under 2.9V.

In my case almost, i think so the game push the video card to work too much and the 3V droops, and the @##$ Power Source, a Thermaltake 480W is not enought to supply the 3V constantly... :hmm:

I click on the task bar the SH4 task and back to game.... :roll:

zylark
05-11-07, 04:32 PM
I had a blue-screen the other day whilst playing SH4. Having not seen a BSOD for years, I got very anxious. Some troubleshooting later, it turned out one of my disks was failing, thus promting windows to stop all activity without any special warning.

Your problem though sounds more like some kind of memory fault. You've pretty much ruled out PSU, CPU or GPU fault by stress testing them with another application (umm, game). That leaves RAM. The kernel resides in the first 640kb of physical memory, so if you got more than one stick of RAM, try changing them around a bit, then do a thourough RAM test (google is your friend).

Also, the first stick of RAM is often neatly placed right beside the CPU fan/heatsink exhaust, thus ensuring it will get at least hot, if not exceedingly so. It might have reached a certain tolerance level, and sparked some freak error. By changing around the sticks, you'll put a less historically stressed stick in this voulnerable position, and thus gain some more stability. If failing RAM was the problem in the first place that is.

NefariousKoel
05-11-07, 05:34 PM
Similar problem here, i think so not related with the game... i have my motherboard monitor poping up frecuently, it push me out of the game, game not crash, i was moved to desktop only and the problem is the 3V, down under 2.9V.

In my case almost, i think so the game push the video card to work too much and the 3V droops, and the @##$ Power Source, a Thermaltake 480W is not enought to supply the 3V constantly... :hmm:

Yep..

I've even had a power supply's 3v shoot up to 4 volts under load from my graphics card before when it was going bad.

Elder-Pirate
05-11-07, 10:14 PM
I had a blue-screen the other day whilst playing SH4. Having not seen a BSOD for years, I got very anxious. Some troubleshooting later, it turned out one of my disks was failing, thus promting windows to stop all activity without any special warning.

Your problem though sounds more like some kind of memory fault. You've pretty much ruled out PSU, CPU or GPU fault by stress testing them with another application (umm, game). That leaves RAM. The kernel resides in the first 640kb of physical memory, so if you got more than one stick of RAM, try changing them around a bit, then do a thourough RAM test (google is your friend).

Also, the first stick of RAM is often neatly placed right beside the CPU fan/heatsink exhaust, thus ensuring it will get at least hot, if not exceedingly so. It might have reached a certain tolerance level, and sparked some freak error. By changing around the sticks, you'll put a less historically stressed stick in this voulnerable position, and thus gain some more stability. If failing RAM was the problem in the first place that is.

I've Three one Gig sticks of ram and all are 184-Pin DIMM 128MX64 DDR PC3200 Unbuffered. One of the three sticks is from a different company and it is nearest the CPU which in my computer that's at least three inches away as I've an "AlienWare full tower" with a lot of airspace.

Factory pic: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/v3_prd_configurator_saucer_silver.jpg

Tomorrow maybe I'll swap the one nearest the CPU which just happens to be one out of the three "one GIG sticks" I ordered and two were bad and sent back,thats when I ordered the other two from a different company( also a higher price :damn: ). This one may also be a stinker? I'll find out as its still under warranty.

Thanks for the info.

Mechman
05-12-07, 11:31 AM
I've had the same crash once, with a brand-new video card. It wasn't the cards fault, and there's nothing else wrong with the computer.

Redwine
05-12-07, 04:16 PM

Yep..

I've even had a power supply's 3v shoot up to 4 volts under load from my graphics card before when it was going bad.

Did you rised up the voltage up to 4v ?

Isnt it too much ?

A 33% voltage rise up is not dangerous ?

:up:

DirtyHarry3033
05-12-07, 06:36 PM
Jeeze I hope not for I blew a 400w PS 5 months ago and put in a new 500w one along with this Nvidia 7800GS OC 256mb card.

@SteamWake, could be my Antivirus not catching all it's supposed to. Time to check it out. :yep:

Elder-Pirate, I was gonna say your experience could have been worse but you beat me to it! The 620w PS on my LiquidXS system blew a few months ago, I'd had the box less than 4 months :(

I was deeply engrossed in Oblivion IV Elder Scrolls. It was a most impressive explosion, a loud "BANG", 18 inches of bright flame coming out the back of the PS, a choking cloud of burning electronics and of course everything died instantly. Well my jaw hit the floor, my practically-new state-of-the-art gaming rig was dead :dead::dead::dead:

Bought a new 750w Thermaltake Toughpower the next day, spent an hour putting it in, sh*tting bricks wondering what would happen when I applied power for the 1st time (never had a PS blow up before so it was all new to me) but I got lucky - system started right up, no damage to anything else and I was back in business!

DH

NefariousKoel
05-12-07, 07:19 PM

Yep..

Did you rised up the voltage up to 4v ?

Isnt it too much ?

A 33% voltage rise up is not dangerous ?

No, I didn't manually raise the 3 volt to 4. It was actually passing 4 volts when my mobo monitor alarm went off and minimized everthing. I think it had hit a ways over 4 volts and still going up when it minimized.

Which was fortunate because the voltage started going back down once the graphics were minimized and it prevented anything from getting zapped.

Redwine
05-12-07, 07:49 PM
No, I didn't manually raise the 3 volt to 4. It was actually passing 4 volts when my mobo monitor alarm went off and minimized everthing. I think it had hit a ways over 4 volts and still going up when it minimized.

Which was fortunate because the voltage started going back down once the graphics were minimized and it prevented anything from getting zapped.
Understand, :up: effect is the same as in my case, you have overvolatge and i have undervoltage, but the effect is same.

I do not know into you mother board monitor, but mine, has a recorded log, a red recorded line is stored for the las 5 or 10 minutes when over or under voltage... may be in yours it is abailable too.

Elder-Pirate
05-12-07, 08:32 PM
Jeez I hope not for I blew a 400w PS 5 months ago and put in a new 500w one along with this Nvidia 7800GS OC 256mb card.

Elder-Pirate, I was gonna say your experience could have been worse but you beat me to it! The 620w PS on my LiquidXS system blew a few months ago, I'd had the box less than 4 months :(

I was deeply engrossed in Oblivion IV Elder Scrolls. It was a most impressive explosion, a loud "BANG", 18 inches of bright flame coming out the back of the PS, a choking cloud of burning electronics and of course everything died instantly. Well my jaw hit the floor, my practically-new state-of-the-art gaming rig was dead :dead::dead::dead:

Bought a new 750w Thermaltake Toughpower the next day, spent an hour putting it in, sh*tting bricks wondering what would happen when I applied power for the 1st time (never had a PS blow up before so it was all new to me) but I got lucky - system started right up, no damage to anything else and I was back in business!

DH

Yikes. :huh: The whole kit-n-kaboodle yet. Nope I just had the 400w PS stop applying 12 volts to the 12 volt dongles of which one of them was connected to the tail end of a Nvidia FX 5950 Ultra 256mb graphic card, sent it back for free replacement ( it was three years old, now in a box on the shelf ) since then replaced that with the present Nvidia 7800GS OC card. Few days later I installed a 500w Coolmax PS and now I'm worried about it.

Think I'm going to set back and design the worlds perfect computer. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/YeeHaa.gif Move over Bill Gates.:rotfl: :arrgh!:

DirtyHarry3033
05-12-07, 08:50 PM
Yikes. :huh: The whole kit-n-kaboodle yet. Nope I just had the 400w PS stop applying 12 volts to the 12 volt dongles of which one of them was connected to the tail end of a Nvidia FX 5950 Ultra 256mb graphic card, sent it back for free replacement ( it was three years old, now in a box on the shelf ) since then replaced that with the present Nvidia 7800GS OC card. Few days later I installed a 500w Coolmax PS and now I'm worried about it.

Think I'm going to set back and design the worlds perfect computer. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/YeeHaa.gif Move over Bill Gates.:rotfl: :arrgh!:
So you didn't actually have sparks and flames and smoke? You're lucky my friend! It's a scary experience, especially if you have got mega-bucks invested in the system like I did :hmm: I nearly had a heart attack...

When you design the "perfect" computer and the "perfect" OS, let me know and I'll be 1st in line to purchase!!!! Only reason I buy Billy's crap is there's not much else to choose from...

DH

zylark
05-12-07, 09:04 PM
[quote=Elder-Pirate]I was deeply engrossed in Oblivion IV Elder Scrolls. It was a most impressive explosion, a loud "BANG", 18 inches of bright flame coming out the back of the PS, a choking cloud of burning electronics and of course everything died instantly. Well my jaw hit the floor, my practically-new state-of-the-art gaming rig was dead :dead::dead::dead:

I know the feeling. I've had two PSUs blow on me over the years. First about 4 years ago. Not as dramatic as yours, but there was a visible flash under my desk, and then smell of burned out electrical components. No real smoke.

Second time about a year ago, there was just an audible *boof*.

Both times a capacitor got blown (those tubes about an inch high), and both times no damage to the rest of the system. Over time capacitors get worn down, and output less amps (allthough Voltage remains stable). When they get a demand of more amps than they can deliver, they blow. Almost like a circuit braker (of which BTW PSUs got plenty of, thankfully, both on mains and each of the rails.), so there is no risk of other PC components getting damaged.

This taught me to buy PSU that can output at least twice the demand of my systems (got a small render farm for 3D work). And quality PSUs like Mist or Hiper only.

Elder-Pirate
05-13-07, 09:17 PM
AH Hah I think I caught the rascal. The one lone wolf 1 GIG stick of memory that I had from a three pack I purchased about 6/7 months ago it seems is like its brothers I sent back long ago, this one just played out a little longer. All I had for spare was a "Samsung" 500 mhz PC3200 400MHZ stick that came with my computer 3 1/2 years ago. I put it along side of my two "Crucial Tech." 1 GIG PC3200 400 MHZ sticks and I just got through playing SH4 about an hour ago ( started 9 am this morn ) with out so much as a hic-up ( well except for our favorite white streak in F11 :lol: ), all went very smooth even if I was a 1/2 GIG short of my max that my computer will hold.
I did not have any big explosions since I started this AM ( up close that is ) as I think that's were I sometimes system crash where the monitor quits and the sound hangs in-there then wham the computer is rebooting to desktop. That sounds like my power supply. My PS two 12 v ( +12v1 and +12v2 ) only Handle 18 amps on 12v1 & 16 amps on 12v2. My BFG Nvidia 7800GS OC instructions states :"A minimum 400W system power supply with 12V current rating of 20A or more". My PS is 500W but when the graphics get rough ( like a heavy explosion maybe ? ) the amperage is not there in my 12v dongle ( might call it a "4-pin molex connector"? ) located at rear of 7800GS OC card and I believe when the juice is not enough then it's crash time. :o

Just checking the ole wallet :huh: Oh it's crying time again,your going to leave me......:cry: :cry:

Oh well thats life I guess.

DimDoms
05-14-07, 06:48 AM

Thanks.

I've had similar issues after playing similar, "graphic pulling" applications for long spells - have you got a temperature monitor of some description installed, it might just have been a bit warm? How long had you been playing before?

Dimdoms.

SteamWake
05-14-07, 10:23 AM
Ill releate my experience.

I went and upgraded my video card to an XT1800 when I got Oblivion.

I was there sneaking around the dungeons, in the dark, hand on the mouse, left hand hovering over the keyboard.

Stealthfully working my way to sneak up on a moster with my bow. I got into position, raised up out of cover and Loose ! the arrow. Just as it left my bow I heard this loud POP ! the screen went blank and I smelled ozone. I nearly crapped my pants !

The fuse in the PS actually did its job and blew !

Anyhow went out and got a new 600 watt power supply and all is well now.

A curious side effect is that prior to blowing the fuse the little fan on the video card was spinning very fast and making a lot of noise. I dident know any better at the time but now with the new psu it runs very quiet only speeding up occassionally like its supposed to.

Elder-Pirate
05-14-07, 09:53 PM
I've had similar issues after playing similar, "graphic pulling" applications for long spells - have you got a temperature monitor of some description installed, it might just have been a bit warm? How long had you been playing before?

Dimdoms.

This room is temp controlled at 74 degrees Fahrenheit year round and both monitor and computer have over six inches air space from their backs, other three sides are in feet to the wall of air space. Voltage wise both computer and monitor are feed via a 900 watt battery back up UPS ( Uninterpretable Power Supply ) as which I'm not to worried about voltage spikes or brown-outs either. Nope, monitor wasn't too warm. As I said in an above post I'm pretty sure I've found a bad stick of ram and am leaning also against my fairly new PS for not having enough amperage in the 12v legs.
Again today I've wasted a beautiful day here in northern Illinois ( but hey I'm retired :smug: ) and played SH4 for more than 11 hours ( with several 10/15 minute breaks ) and SH4 never has played so good, not a hint of a crash. Keeping my fingers crossed for I don't think I'm completely out of the woods yet and next up will be a 650 watt PS with 23 amp 12 volt legs. I didn't know just how much RAM can be stinkers sometimes. :-?
Jeez SH4 gets expensive. :yep: But I am a SH4 junkie and need the fix.

OH Nurse will you get my SH4 shot ready? http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/nurse11.gifAhhh thanks. :rotfl: