PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo run time

EMAPhil
05-11-07, 07:10 AM
Last night I shot and missed a DD at 900 yards range. torpedo on fast setting.
It must have been 5 minutes later the crewman said "Torpedo missed sir!"

That is blindingly obvious and a bit stupid but not a game killer, however it got me thinking. Is there an in game way of knowing how long the torp should take to reach its target? Or is that linked to the metric/imperial/tdc/chronometer issues?

The weekend is almost here. Its going to rain:D more game time!!!!!!

Phil

SteamWake
05-11-07, 07:22 AM
Well the stopwatch has a count down timer (small dial at the bottom).

Problem is it only seems to time the first torpedo launched. There seems to be no way to select or change to another torpedo if more than one is launched.

Its also a little hard to read with three sweep hands

If anyone knows how to do that "select run time for a particular torpedo" please let us know.

Chock
05-11-07, 07:25 AM
You can work it out, a nautical mile being 2025.3 yards, a torpedo doing 46 knots, in an hour it would travel 93,163.8 yards, or 1552.73 yards per minute.

Once you know that, you can just keep the '1500 yards per minute' estimate in your head and do a rough calculation of time from that, i.e. an 800 yard run will be a little under thirty seconds etc.

A slower torpedo, ie. one travelling at 31 knots will cover 1046.25 yards in a minute, so again, a rough estimate of 1000 yards per minute is a close enough estimate for government work.

So fast speeds 1500 yards per minute, slow speeds, 1000 yards per minute, is a good approximate couple of figures to remember.

Of course some of the SH4 units of measurement are a bit screwed up at the moment and awaiting patching, but there you go.

Incidentally, you might find that the 'Microsoft Calculator Plus' which you can download from MS website will help you, in addition to calculating stuff, it can do conversions of all sorts of measurements, including nautical miles.

Good Hunting!

SteamWake
05-11-07, 07:51 AM
You can work it out, a nautical mile being 2025.3 yards, a torpedo doing 46 knots, in an hour it would travel 93,163.8 yards, or 1552.73 yards per minute.

Once you know that, you can just keep the '1500 yards per minute' estimate in your head and do a rough calculation of time from that, i.e. an 800 yard run will be a little under thirty seconds etc.

A slower torpedo, ie. one travelling at 31 knots will cover 1046.25 yards in a minute, so again, a rough estimate of 1000 yards per minute is a close enough estimate for government work.

So fast speeds 1500 yards per minute, slow speeds, 1000 yards per minute, is a good approximate couple of figures to remember.

Of course some of the SH4 units of measurement are a bit screwed up at the moment and awaiting patching, but there you go.

Incidentally, you might find that the 'Microsoft Calculator Plus' which you can download from MS website will help you, in addition to calculating stuff, it can do conversions of all sorts of measurements, including nautical miles.

Good Hunting!

Uhh which torpedo ? Mark 10, Mark 14 ? Set for slow or fast ?

Of course you can work it out for yourself. Or your crew SHOULD be able to do it for you.

Kant Schwimm
05-11-07, 08:40 AM

Good Hunting!

This helps me alot, thanks chock another post-it to the monitor:up:

Rafter11
05-13-07, 08:39 PM
Great Info, Thanks

Good Hunting!